Which is worse? Physical pain or emotional pain?

Eternal Sunshine
Physical pain is worse. If you think some heartache over anything is worse than physical pain, you just haven't really actually had physical pain.

Even people that think they are having so much emotional pain that they just absolutely must kill themselves to make the pain go away, try to do so in a way that does not cause much physical pain.

You ever see someone burn to death slowly? Trust me, your heartache over not getting the mate you wanted does not compare.

Absolutely.

Alternatively, I've also dealt with crippling anxiety and depression (still deal with it to this day) to the point where I'd wake up out of my sleep in the middle of a panic attack for no apparent reason. Very scary stuff.

I deal with both, as well. I'm dealing with it tonight, and it hit me hard yesterday.

I've also dealt with physical pain in various forms, and have had a horrible stomach problem for almost five years now, that is just gross - they call them stomach migraines, and I hardly keep food or liquids down, although I'm doing better than I was, thanks to a few supplements. Still, when it hits hard, I'm reduced to tears, and wooziness. The first year or two, I felt like my body was rejecting everything for a reason - that it was killing itself off.

I think both can be equally bad. Some of my anxiety and depression comes from the fear of more loss, when it comes to loved ones, and also of being alone. A fear that a lot of people share, so I try to distract myself and shift it, but there is another part to the anxiety that just sends me to a different head space, and I just have to wait it out, cry it out, walk it off - whatever. Especially in recent years, when I was under the gun, and felt like my life was disappearing. I really wish I didn't have the emotional pain from the last five years.

Either one can be terrible or manageable, depending on what it is.

Well it depends, but in general emotional pain/loss/betrayal can hurt more than physical pain - it can be so dark it impairs your daily life functioning.

However, Pain that disables you - interferes with basic functioning - say a blown disc in your back, or knee cap crushed ...etc.. to me causes both physical and emotional pain on a whole new level.

• Like 1