Time of day that we eat is just as important

I think this is the only case of 'when you are eating matters'. I was once told that whatever you eat is used by your muscles for recovery. But I didn't research it.

That being said, I have an issue with the whole 'losing weight is all about calories in VS calories out'.

If it was that simple, it wouldn't be so hard to lose weight. I also lost 15 pounds and a lot of inches when I was doing crossfit/weightlifting 3/4x a weeks and never cared for what I ate and regularly picked up mcDonalds or other fast food.

While I spent nearly 10 years trying to lose weight just by eating less calories and was never able to lose even 5 pounds...but to be honest, I never did the whole 800 calories a day crash diets either.

This leads me to believe that the workout factor is more important than the whole 'calories in VS calories out'...

But again - nothing I've researched...

When you are eating matters for some people. If you are at the gym an hour or so a day it doesn't matter. As an endurance athlete where I have bi daily sessions and 25 hours a week of training it matters a lot. But most people don't do this.

If you are doing low impact exercise your muscles don't need anything for recovery, it is only if you start depleting your glycogen stores, which happens after around 90 minutes of solid (huffy puffy!) exercise).

Low calorie diets are counter productive (as you know :) ) so while calories in > calories out works in theory it is a bit more complex in practice.

When you eat really only matters if your training is over 2 hours (and that is of training, not just flexing).

But Darren - our OP. Seriously see your dietician. I am not sure what your goal is but you are having chemo and mini-mantle radiotherapy then your tastes are likely to change, Some people put on weight due to the corticosteroids but seriously, talk to your doctors.

• Like 1
  • Author
No it does not matter when you eat.

The body burns calories just by existing. Just being alive burns calories.

You can't honestly think that if you have a healthy snack before bed, that it is just gonna turn into fat on your body just because you're not moving.

Losing weight means burning more calories than you consume. Doesn't matter WHEN you eat those calories.

Yes we are always burning calories even while sleeping but not as much as when awake and being moderately active. That's why the time of day is an important factor unless you are working the graveyard shift at your job.

No matter how healthy the calories are any calories that do not get burned turn to fat. Peanut butter is a very nutritious snack but it is very high in calories. Orange juice is a good source of vitamin C but very high in calories. Even with nutritious foods the portions have to be watched especially before going to bed.

Now another exception would be if you work out and do exercises late at night and then eat a meal after the workout and then go to bed then you will probably be okay since the metabolism has been boosted to high gear due to late night exercise.