How long should you stay at a new job that's a bad fit?

I started a new job on Oct 1. If I knew right away I wasn't going to like it, I'd have immediately started applying for other jobs and just not listed this one on my resume.

• Like 1
Agree. Stress takes years off your life. No amount of money is worth being miserable 40 hours a week and living a shorter life.

A lot of people act perplexed when someone quits a big fancy high status corporate job to be a teacher or starving artist.. but I totally get it. We only have so much time on this planet and no one on their deathbed ever regrets not spending more time at the office.

I love this so much...so..so TRUE!

It's tough to say, I hate this pervasive idea that "too many" jobs is a bad thing. If you've been fired from them all or quit under bad circumstances, okay...but these days people have to change jobs frequently. I had a guy tell me I worked "a lot" of jobs in 5 years when it was only 3...and I lost the longest due to layoffs.

I'd say 6 months to a year for resume purposes, but you shouldn't have to do that. Just another thing wrong with jobs and employment.

• Like 1
  • Author
It's tough to say, I hate this pervasive idea that "too many" jobs is a bad thing. If you've been fired from them all or quit under bad circumstances, okay...but these days people have to change jobs frequently. I had a guy tell me I worked "a lot" of jobs in 5 years when it was only 3...and I lost the longest due to layoffs.

I'd say 6 months to a year for resume purposes, but you shouldn't have to do that. Just another thing wrong with jobs and employment.

I'm not even sure I can stick around for 6 months. My game plan was 1 year then move on, but I don't know if I have the patience. I'm high energy and ambitious and I need a job that excites me when I wake up in the morning, rather than draining me. I had to fight to get out of bed this morning (and I wasn't tired). I'm starting to feel like I'm putting my life on hold just to beef up my resume. I have no passion for this job and nothing makes me want to stick around.

I tried to kid myself and focus on the positives, but its not working. It doesn't feel right and I don't think it ever will. I fear my boss is already having doubts about me as I don't feel as "part of the group" as everyone else and my boss seems more distant with me than with others. I thought I was being paranoid at first, but today my gut told me its real.

I can't do this. I need to start looking and I'm considering changing careers all together. I'm actually sick of what I do and I was going to change careers when I left my least job if I didn't have to jump ship during layoffs.

I need to leave. Its been under 3 months so I'm not sure if it should go on my resume during my job search. This sucks though.

I'm not even sure I can stick around for 6 months. My game plan was 1 year then move on, but I don't know if I have the patience. I'm high energy and ambitious and I need a job that excites me when I wake up in the morning, rather than draining me. I had to fight to get out of bed this morning (and I wasn't tired). I'm starting to feel like I'm putting my life on hold just to beef up my resume. I have no passion for this job and nothing makes me want to stick around.

I tried to kid myself and focus on the positives, but its not working. It doesn't feel right and I don't think it ever will. I fear my boss is already having doubts about me as I don't feel as "part of the group" as everyone else and my boss seems more distant with me than with others. I thought I was being paranoid at first, but today my gut told me its real.

I can't do this. I need to start looking and I'm considering changing careers all together. I'm actually sick of what I do and I was going to change careers when I left my least job if I didn't have to jump ship during layoffs.

I need to leave. Its been under 3 months so I'm not sure if it should go on my resume during my job search. This sucks though.

Yeah if it's that miserable, just get out of there. Just come up with a good reason to tell the next employer that isn't bashing them.