Prepare to forever be pushing up the glasses on your nose even when they are not on... it will become such a habit... :-)

I'm not attacking you Gloria, but I really wonder what your experience was like.

No, no attack felt, but yea, I did to lasik for real. It was very simple - not sure if it was 5 min. I just remember them clamping open my eyes, some weird suction thing pulling up my eye and slicing it and then the laser beam. The experience was weird and so sci-fi. I still remember the smell of the burn from the laser and being scared not to move my head and/or look away. Not sure how I didn't feel any pain. I guess it was the eyedrops?

Afterwards, thank God for one of my siblings driving me home cuz me being Miss Independent, was crazy enough to want to drive myself home or call a cab. They gave me some pills to take and gosh, I was knocked out. I slept on the ride home and for like the rest of the day or so.

I'm not sure if it was the technology back then or something I did why I still ended up needing glasses again years later. I do recall going back to work and the fluorescent lights hurting my eyes/head and I do remember messing with my eyes and I think I interrupted the healing process. I was like pressing on my eyelids and felt that I moved were it was sliced open and had to massage it back into place...:eek:

About the terminology and 20/20 etc. I still don't know what I am (even though I've been told and have the medical records). All I know is the doctors always telling me that my vision isn't that bad and I agree with them. I can see pretty well without the glasses. :)

• Author

I'm nearsighted with astigmatism.

I'm still getting used to them. The astigmatism correction created a sort of fishbowl effect. I can see more sharply, but at the end of the day I start getting headachy and nauseous. Every day I can wear them longer though.

Really liking the look of them though. At first it felt so weird seeing myself with something on my face, but I think they suit me well.

I'm naturally quite nerdy, so I think enhancing that nerd look really just... Makes me feel more like myself.

I'm nearsighted and wear glasses. I wore contacts for about 5 years when I was a teenager, and even though I liked how I looked, they sure were a pain. No impromptu sleepovers at a friends house for me! I'm not sure how I would manage dating as an adult with contacts. I guess people bring a lens case and a little container of contacts cleaner in their purse on their dates?

Anyway, you get used to the glasses after a while.

You'll fully adjust to them very soon. Even changing frames next time will leave you with a bit of depth perception issues, but you'll get used to it much quicker than now for the first time. New glasses either have the effect of making me feel taller or shorter, in reference to the peripheral vision.

I've worn glasses since 5th grade, and although I do also have contacts, I prefer wearing glasses. I like how I look in them, and people take me more seriously when I'm wearing glasses. I look young overall, and people tell me that without my glasses I look even younger. Not a bad thing, but sometimes there are advantages of looking more my age.

The things that annoy me about glasses:

Wanting to lay on a couch to watch TV and not being able to do so without having your head/neck angled weird so as not to smoosh the frames.

Having a cat who likes to chew on or push them off tables, so I have to be vigilant about where I leave them.

Remembering to take a case with me on trips, especially camping. I am always in fear that I will smoosh them, and my contacts annoy me after so many hours so I do need my glasses.

Sometimes forgetting where I left my glasses and finally realizing they are on my face.

Being in the rain with them, and they also get really spotty if they are on when I cry. Fogging up in colder weather can also be annoying, as is the night time headlight trail as someone mentioned. I do exercise in mine a lot of the time though, so they don't hinder what I do.

Not having a prescription pair of sunglasses on a sunny day.

But even with the list of annoyances, I do prefer them over contacts. I hate putting my contacts in and out, I'd rather throw on my glasses. And I like the way they look - I always go for the sexy nerd look and it works ;)

You could get Lasik but you would need glasses for reading so it's really "six of one, half a dozen of the other." At least reading glasses are cheaper.

• Author

I sat on them last night and freaked out. They're fine though.

I don't see myself having much use for contacts. My vision is still good enough without the glasses that if glasses are not practical, I just won't wear them. LASIK also seems impractical given that my vision it still alright.

I didn't wear them all morning because I went to the dentist and knew they'd likely get spattered when the hygienist starts flinging paste around polishing my teeth, lol. Wearing them now and it feels like by not wearing them all morning I took a step back in getting used to them.

I've worn them for as far as back as I can remember and there are certain times when they do become uncomfortable. I should just get lasik done.

Not having a prescription pair of sunglasses on a sunny day.

Ahh, that is a must! I don't go anywhere without my prescription sunglasses! And then I'm the dick, indoors, with sunglasses on because it is just too much trouble to change them when I'll need to change them again very soon! (like on tube/underground or short visits to a shopping centre)