Did I screw things up with this guy or was there something wrong with him?

nyny123

• Author
Damn, I never even met this guy & I feel bad for him. I've got my own issues myself that I deal with it but nothing as bad as schizophrenia. I'm wondering though honestly would you have given him a chance if he took his meds?

That is a good question. I am not really sure considering the other facts here like I said this guy has low self esteem issues and has alot going on with him and I worry you know what's going to happen in the long run. If i were to give him another chance I would really need to think about it.

That is a good question. I am not really sure considering the other facts here like I said this guy has low self esteem issues and has alot going on with him and I worry you know what's going to happen in the long run. If i were to give him another chance I would really need to think about it.

Well, given the circumstances I don't blame you for ending things with him. A guy with schizophrenia who refuses to take meds isn't going to have a successful relationship with anyone.

• Like 1

nyny123, if you do decide to give him a second chance, be very clear with him what your boundaries or expectations are. Keep things light and casual at first with him if you go out again. Don't let the focus of your conversations center on his mental illness. There are other topics of conversation you can have. And don't take on the role of his rescuer either. Have compassion, but don't solve all his problems for him. It's very possible to date or be friends with someone who has a mental illness, as long as you're both clear with each other about your expectations and respect the other person's point of view.

I couldn't give the guy I met via OLD another chance b/c his issues went beyond what I could handle, and he's not in a place to offer any woman a long-term relationship until his life gets stable again. Maybe that's the case for this guy you went on one date with too. Maybe you can keep in touch with him and once his life gets stable, try dating him again. Like I said before, trust your gut and follow where it leads you. Intuition is never wrong.

There is quite a lot of research right now on the treatment of schizophrenia without drugs. There's been some success rates among non-compliant schizophrenic patients who experienced prolong periods of recovery while off medication. So there's two sides to every issue. Research now focuses on questioning the current assumptions about medication treatment for schizophrenia, and finds that many times the medications do more harm than good.

• Like 1
  • Author
Well, given the circumstances I don't blame you for ending things with him. A guy with schizophrenia who refuses to take meds isn't going to have a successful relationship with anyone.

Yep I agree.

• Author
nyny123, if you do decide to give him a second chance, be very clear with him what your boundaries or expectations are. Keep things light and casual at first with him if you go out again. Don't let the focus of your conversations center on his mental illness. There are other topics of conversation you can have. And don't take on the role of his rescuer either. Have compassion, but don't solve all his problems for him. It's very possible to date or be friends with someone who has a mental illness, as long as you're both clear with each other about your expectations and respect the other person's point of view.

I couldn't give the guy I met via OLD another chance b/c his issues went beyond what I could handle, and he's not in a place to offer any woman a long-term relationship until his life gets stable again. Maybe that's the case for this guy you went on one date with too. Maybe you can keep in touch with him and once his life gets stable, try dating him again. Like I said before, trust your gut and follow where it leads you. Intuition is never wrong.

There is quite a lot of research right now on the treatment of schizophrenia without drugs. There's been some success rates among non-compliant schizophrenic patients who experienced prolong periods of recovery while off medication. So there's two sides to every issue. Research now focuses on questioning the current assumptions about medication treatment for schizophrenia, and finds that many tichanvijjnjnnmedications do more harm than good.

Well I think I am better off with my decision with moving on. I have offered being his friend and I don't think he wants that. I don't mind keeping touch once in awhile to see how he's doing, I'm not sure. I don't want to give him the wrong idea that he has a chance with me. I will continue to do my research about mental illness