How important is a womans hair style when it comes to attraction/dating?

Best bet is to go to a good hair stylist, not the $8 cut place. Find someone who always has great hair and ask who they go to if you don't already have one and consult with them about what to do. If you don't like what they say, consult with someone else. My sister lost most of her hair but it came back. Hope yours does too.

And because it fits here, I just cut my past shoulder length hair into a cute bob, mirroring Emma Stone's new cut.

Not even 24 hours into it but I am liking it! And my husband is liking it as well.

That is the beauty of hair, it grows so I can change it up a lot. I am always trying out different colors, cuts, etc. If I don't like it, it will grow out. :)

If I felt conscious about my hair, I'd probably get extensions, wear wigs sometimes for fun (lots of different ones) etc. No reason why you couldn't turn it into a bit of fun, OP.

I cannot think of any woman I find attractive with short hair who I wouldn't find more attractive with long hair.

Then again I also can't think of any attractive brunette I wouldn't find more attractive in blonde, but I'd still date brunette.

In other words, yes it makes a difference, and yes it's less attractive (at least to me) but it's no deal breaker and isn't likely to tip the scales one way or another.

If you feel really confident about your face and overall self, I would think hairstyle is less important. Sometimes hair can hide a beautiful face.

If I felt conscious about my hair, I'd probably get extensions, wear wigs sometimes for fun (lots of different ones) etc. No reason why you couldn't turn it into a bit of fun, OP.

I am an expert in hair loss and extensions are the last thing one should do when you have very fragile hair. It will make it worse.

A wig is fun if you have a full head of hair to put it on but if your hair loss is so bad that you actually have to wear one, you will notice it has a lot of disadvantages. It is itchy and it is difficult to keep the thing on its place, and on top of it one sweats under the wig. Not that I have ever worn one but I read about the experiences of women whose hair loss was so bad they had to try a wig.

• Like 2

I have had thin, fine, fair hair all my life ( not due to illness or meds, it's just always been that way ) and have always had it cut in a pixie/urchin style.

As I worked in healthcare, I need to wash it at least once a day, so I need a "wash & wear" style. Suits me fine and I never had problems getting dates when I was single. ;)

LivingWaterPlease

My hair thinned out and I began taking diatomaceous earth (food grade only) daily. Within five months a lot of new hair began to grow in. I gained about 1/2 as much as I already had and it's made a huge difference for me. I'm about back to how it was before I lost it. I know it was the DE that caused it to grow back because it had been thin for several years before I discovered DE and I, too, had gotten to the place where it was so thin I could only wear it up or needed to cut it.

It's the silica in the DE that causes hair to grow so possibly silica supplementation by itself would do the same, I don't know.

I've taken the DE for over a year with no problems at all and many benefits.

If you should try it just give it enough time to work.

I am an expert in hair loss and extensions are the last thing one should do when you have very fragile hair. It will make it worse.

A wig is fun if you have a full head of hair to put it on but if your hair loss is so bad that you actually have to wear one, you will notice it has a lot of disadvantages. It is itchy and it is difficult to keep the thing on its place, and on top of it one sweats under the wig. Not that I have ever worn one but I read about the experiences of women whose hair loss was so bad they had to try a wig.

Take the point about extensions (though so many people seem to use them?) but I know models that use wigs all the time and love them. I think it might depend on quality too. I thought with less hair you would have fewer problems as they would fit better.

Is this a turn-off for men? Shorter hair on a woman, thinner hair on a women?

Shorter hair is fine. Personally, I think it looks better on smaller women, but it can work for anyone really.

fortyninethousand322
Just curious, would like to get some male opinions here.

I'm a thirty-something woman, and over the past few years have experienced some healh issues that caused my hair to thin-out, pretty signifiantly. Like I lost 2/3 of my hair. the shed stopped but it's pretty thin now, but extremely healthy, very shiny and soft no damage at all. I'm not balding here, just now have very delicate hair.

Despite what my doctor told me, my hair has never really grown back much, it thickened up some, but its nothing like its former glory. Sad really :(

I cannot wear my hair in a longer style anymore (right now it is shoulder length but even that looks dreadful when I leave it down) so I put it up in an updo everyday.

I would like to get a proper haircut and style and my options will be relegated to shorter styles, I am probably going to end up with a chin length style.

Is this a turn-off for men? Shorter hair on a woman, thinner hair on a women?

Thanks!

I like thick, dark, curly hair on a woman, but it's really not a big deal to me if a girl didn't have that kind of hair style. Women with thinner hair are attractive too, and even women who go with the completely bald look. Though considering I'm bald myself it might look like an odd coupling. :laugh:

Just do what makes you feel good and what you think looks best based on what you have.

Then again I also can't think of any attractive brunette I wouldn't find more attractive in blonde, but I'd still date brunette.

Just gonna put it out there, I look horrendous as a blonde. Makes my skin look really odd and washed out, like I'm sick or something. Bad look!

Hairstyles are about what looks good on YOU.

Not every woman looks good with long hair.

Hair styles just like clothing styles are what accentuates YOUR features most.

Lots of women have gorgeous short hair where they look so much better that way than with longer hair. So I'd ask my stylist for a style (and even color if you really wanna switch it up) which will play up my facial structure, skin tone, eyes etc.

I think most people, men or women, like a person with their own style, which fits them and which they rock well than expecting them to have some generic kind of appearance.

Not to try and bum out poor SEL or anything, but I hear women saying stuff like this a lot and 99% of the time it's just totally untrue. =/ At least from a guy's perspective. I've yet to see a woman who looks better with short hair than long. And the downgrade can be visceral sometimes. Miley Cyrus turned from a 9 to a 3 after cutting her hair. =/

That being said, I do agree there are many women who can look very sexy with short hair and as I said earlier it's no dating killer. But still. =/

Not to try and bum out poor SEL or anything, but I hear women saying stuff like this a lot and 99% of the time it's just totally untrue. =/ At least from a guy's perspective. I've yet to see a woman who looks better with short hair than long. And the downgrade can be visceral sometimes. Miley Cyrus turned from a 9 to a 3 after cutting her hair. =/

That being said, I do agree there are many women who can look very sexy with short hair and as I said earlier it's no dating killer. But still. =/

Let's be real, Miley Cyrus went from a 9 to Draco Malfoy.

Kidding! But realistically the huge issue with Miley goes beyond the haircut and has to do with the dramatic bleaching, the strange ways she chooses to style it, and moreso has a lot to do with the bizarre behavior she is prone to.

But she claims to be quite happy with herself, so who am I to naysay?

Miley Cryus doesn't count. She butchered her hair, shaved the sides, dyed the top blonde and put it up like some sort of deformed peacock. I don't think the OP is going to a Miley look.

There are some very attractive women with short hair, either neck/shoulder/ear length. It just has to flow with your style. When I look at a woman I look at her face to see if she's smiling, happy and approachable, her body, walk, vibe, and then her dress to see if she's "appropriate". The hair style just has to flow. I just don't like funny colored hair like red or pink or with strong highlights. As for pony tails, I think its more attractive if she has a loose with some braids

If you do a quick google image search of miley, you'll see the difference when there are photos where the styling is just way overboard, and photos where the short hair looks more natural and chic on her.

http://westsidetoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Miley-Cyrus.jpg

In that photo, the color is much more natural and its styled nicely.

Draco Malfoy. :lmao: You're right that she does look way better with some styles than other but they're all still leagues away from the long. And that seems to be a constant with just about every woman.

Dark hair fits you so well phoe that I would never change it. Maybe highlights at most but you're right about the totally blonde thing too.

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Ill never understand the compulsion for women with beautiful brown hair to go blonde.....makes no sense....They always looked better to me in their natural shade and most guys i know love brunettes...

The current trend around here is wild colors...I am seeing conservative looking women with blue and magenta colored hair...I dont get it, but if its what they want then I have no issue..

TFY

I had alopecia for ten years and although my hair grew back, it's quite thin. The best advice I can give for hairstyling is:

1. Avoid a fringe and keep your hair all the same length to maximize thickness.

2. If you don't want a very short cut, keep it just long enough to tie back so you can use clip-in hair pieces for special occasions. Jaw-length hair is ideal.

3. Use sprinkle-on keratin fibres on any extra-thin patches.

4. Use as little hair product as possible, especially hairspray. Hairspray will make fine hair crumble into pieces like a smashed-up bag of potato chips!

Don't feel embarrassed about this. I felt bad about it for years (and sometimes still do) but when I eventually confided in a friend, it turned out that both she herself and a LOT of other people we knew have suffered from some degree of hair loss too. It's a taboo subject and it really, really shouldn't be.

PinkInTheLimo
Take the point about extensions (though so many people seem to use them?) but I know models that use wigs all the time and love them. I think it might depend on quality too. I thought with less hair you would have fewer problems as they would fit better.

One thing about the wigs these days is that they can look very natural. A colleague from mine was having chemo for breast cancer and we were talking about the side effects of the chemo and I said to her: "Well, at least it seems like you did not lose your hair because it looks fantastic." Turned out she was wearing a wig! But a really high quality one and there was no way you could have told that this was not real hair although it was one with synthetic hair. She admitted though that as soon as her car had left the garage of our office building she throw her wig off because her head got really hot under the wig.

Ninjainpajamas

Hair-loss can be pretty devastating for both genders, but I'd say it's probably worse when a woman suffers from it as it's almost as an expectation that women should have this full, long, beautiful hair that's always healthy and thick more so than with men. But either way, it's a hard thing to contend with when it's apart of your identity and self-image...that's the hardest part to contend with within yourself.

At the end of the day, you will need to truly assess how bad it is without being dramatic and look into realistic options of how you can wear/cut/comb your hair in the now, this might mean an more expensive style or just taking a dive and going out on a limb on a completely different look that goes well with your face...because the past is the past when it comes to hair, unfortunately there's no miracle pills to regrow hair, and unless you feel like getting a hair-transplant it's going to be something you're going to have to deal with.

Believe it or not however, it's not the end of the world. You've got to do the best with what you've got and you've got to try and get past those emotions that keep you feeling insecure and at a disadvantage. I can assure you there are many people that feel that way regardless....I can't tell you how many women I've met that were beautiful and yet had the confidence of a peanut, therefore let themselves to get tossed around and treated poorly by men..because they always felt they weren't good enough, it's the most ridiculous thing from a mans perspective because if these women only knew even the superficial "value" of their beauty, they could realistically get almost any man they want...but they can't believe or accept that within themselves, so there you go off with another jerk who treats them like crap because that's how they feel about themselves.

Confidence and attitude...self-perception and appreciation..and using your assets to your advantage, is how you get what you want in life. If you're hyper focused on your faults and imperfections and always self-critical, then you will exude that insecurity and chances are others will take advantage of it and exploit you, because you don't feel worth anymore than that or capable of any better...which is sad.

I know we're just talking about hair here technically, but it's apart of the bigger picture of how you see yourself and determine your own self-worth is crucial in life, and for some people it's a different thing but it's all very similar and tied to the same source...which is how you feel about yourself, because that makes a world of difference...if you don't care, if you don't act like these things are what represent you as a person, you'd be surprised the effect you have on people and their perceptions of you.

Accept your situation, assess the real problem and severity, and then figure out something that works for you and that you can live with. You should be able to figure something out but it will take time to adjust, but you at least need to see the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak, so try to get through this with a balanced mind instead of just emotion...give yourself a chance.

• Like 1

What looks good on one woman doesn't look good on another. Find what works for you. I think there are websites where you can try on virtual hairstyles.

Otherwise look for celebs with your type of hair and copy them.

Christy Brinkley sells a line of wigs and extensions and wears them herself. Same with Raquel Welch. Many are very cute.

How important is a womans hair style when it comes to attraction/dating?

When I was single it was pretty important.. you have to have something to grab and pull or gently tug.. ;)