Is My Counselor Listening?

Cupid's Puppet

• Author
Cupid's Puppet

I talked to my quack...er um I meant therapist today, and I am slowly starting to appreciate her unorthodox way of counseling. All last night I dreaded the appointment. But I just told myself I would make more of an effort to redirect the conversation back to me. And it turned out to be a better session.

So this week was rough and today she helped me think about things I spend 2 seconds on normally. I asked her was I doing the right thing by not responding to my ex. She said do what makes you feel good in the end. She asked, "Do you feel better or worse when you respond?" I realized I felt worse. She then told me that I have to take care of myself because he isn't going to. All I can say is, :eek: wow what an eye opener.

Really, I have been upset with her for not really letting me talk or get my emotions out, but I got them out today and having her bounce my thoughts back at me helped me realize that the anger and negativity I was directing at myself and life in general were so irrational and counterproductive.

I guess sometimes we do need a counselor who is like a girlfriend. Someone to say, "Girl please. You really think you're unattractive? You really think he was the only guy who could ever love you?" Or "Most people find it tough to make friends in this city not just you." In sum, today she helped me realize that my reality is distorted big time, deep down I know that's true.