Facebook Relationship Status

CrystalCastles
If you are consistently private and don't post ANY private info, then so be it, that makes perfect sense. But you people can "lie" or "kid yourselves" but if you are a wide open book about all things but then conceal relationship status, that is very shady.

NOW...I am not talking about someone who has been dating for 6 months, but my god, if you are married with kids, why would you post pics of your kids but NOT post your marital status!? FB is a way for creeps to message attractive women and feast on that opportunity and by leaving it single or blank, you are ASKING for those creeps to message.

And most people who have seen me post on here know I don't lie...It's pointless lemmings; this is a message board where nobody knows eachother in real life. What benefit do I gain by lying to strangers?!? Lol. If I wanted HONEST opinions I too would be HONEST. This has never effected me, but I recently noticed it in a few people I went to HS with who are married. It wouldn't happen to me because I AVOID red flags like a smart person. If I married someone and she was like "naw, I wanna keep single up" that is a showing that I am an idiot and picked a bad wife. That is the kind of thing that if you ARE NOT private, you would share like you share all the other stupid unnecessary bullcrap.

You guy act like posting pics of your kids or checking in at restaurants are NEEDED but relationship status is dumb LMFAO "Yeah, people want to know when you go to McDonalds, but could care less WHO YOU ARE MARRIED TO!!!!!!!" Makes a lot of sense people, good job, as always. Lol. You all wanna bury your head in the sand, enjoy, but I refuse to be stupid.

...why are you freaking out? Does this subject really warrant a caps locks message?

No, you're not asking for creeps to message you. Plus, in case you haven't noticed, facebook does have a block feature. So you can block the said creep, you know.

I don't know any married people who keep "single" up. Most people I know don't have anything on their profile of the sort, "single" or otherwise. There are a few who have "single" on there that are in a relationship, but they use facebook so rarely that most of what's on their profile is not updated and they just don't care enough about facebook to update anything.

Your messages really sound like you were hitting on some married woman and just found out that she was married. An ordinary person wouldn't otherwise have a huge cow about something so insignificant as facebook statuses on Loveshack.

• Like 1
todreaminblue

maybe they wait until they know for sure its committed......i dont know if i am in a relationship that is long lasting i would change my status.....in saying that i did change my status not so long ago .....shortly after i did and the guy did....he was chatting sex chatting up other women,......i therefore changed my status back to single and ended the relationship after that......i checked out of it .....deb........

I have never changed my relationship status for a boyfriend - it's blank. Id change it if I was married. I don't see the point in the drama that occurs if a break up happens.

FB is a way for creeps to message attractive women and feast on that opportunity and by leaving it single or blank, you are ASKING for those creeps to message.

Anyone who leaves any of their personal information visible to the general public, is pretty stupid IMO. There are privacy settings for a reason. The only thing my non-friends can see is my profile pic and my name (so they can send me a friends request if they know me). It's a really bad idea to reveal any more than this to non-friends, especially pics of their kids, relationship status, etc.

I refuse to be stupid.

Right, you think making a rant thread telling people what they should or should not post to social networking sites is really sensible? :p

• Author

PegNosePete - Lol you got me there, I have to admit. I understand it's silly to expect people to be reasonable all the time. But this website is usually pretty good at getting all angles of "why" people do things.

I posted this hoping to get different viewpoints and different educated opinions on why people choose to leave that off. The best I've gotten are:

1) Waiting to see if lasting relationship (very fair and I agree with this reason. Again though, I am talking about once that point is reached, i.e. many years, engaged, married etc.)

2) Don't want to put private information out there (again, very fair and I agree with this reason/ Again though, I am talking about people who put all their private info out there already).

So allow me to rephrase...If you don't keep things private, and you are in a long term committed relationship, what reason do these people have to hide being in a relationship, engaged or married?

Stop focusing on ME you idiots who are. I am not the issue, I am merely the person presenting the question. If I did hit on a married woman or if I didn't is highly irrelevant to the overall question/study of why people leave relationship status blank. My personal opinion, actions or history are highly, highly, highly irrelevant to the "why" do others do this. Try and focus and keep up.

• Author

I will say this. It is terrifying to me to witness this liberal agenda sweeping this country. Where anything goes, and people can just do whatever they want, not thinking of other peoples feelings. And yet, everyone magically wonders why the divorce rate is so high...wow, I can't imagine.

"Logic and reasoning is stupid; I don't have to explain myself. If I want to keep that bit of info private, yet post pics of me in bikini, post pics of my kids, post where I work...then so be it...I can do what I want."

Lol.

I have never once in my life heard a rich or happy or successful person say "I can do what I want." Of course you can do whatever you want moron, but why would you want to do something stupid? Amazing. That's why I love it when these failures and stupid people say to successful people "you're so lucky and I am so unlucky."

The reality is, you aren't unlucky, you are an idiot who makes decisions based on "I can do what I want." As opposed to "I will do what is fair and reasonable and makes sense."

I don't think it shows trust and like you mean it if you leave that out.

when I met my Long Distance boyfriend I wanted us to be committed and he did too. We both did it on our fb's and our VKontakte accounts (the russian version of fb)

I feel it also shows you mean what you say that you love this person.

I couldn't trust completely a person who would NOT want to show that we are together.

Just my feelings on it.

• Like 1