no weight loss gym every day

• Author
Caloric needs vary by individual as well...A fat 200# man is going to need a lot less calories than a muscular man of the same weight...Some can tolerate more calories while doing literally the same amount of activity as someone else of the same weight and body composition..

All of these things need to be considered..

TFY

Thank you for the calculator!

Caloric needs vary by individual as well...A fat 200# man is going to need a lot less calories than a muscular man of the same weight...Some can tolerate more calories while doing literally the same amount of activity as someone else of the same weight and body composition..

All of these things need to be considered..

TFY

Thank you for the calculator!

You're welcome! :)

• Like 1
  • Author
Based on the information, I'd suggest reducing the juicing, eating fewer almonds (yes they're good for you, but they are very calorie rich). I personally avoid nuts because it is very easy to add on a lot of calories to my day in just a handful of nuts.

I aim for 1800 cals. on a normal day, with a MAX of 2200 cals. on days when I'm going to be burning a particularly large amount of calories.

There's definitely no need to be going to the gym everyday. Rest days are good for you.

Try working out harder with the cardio, for shorter amounts of time. For example, when I'm on the elliptical, I will go all out, fast as I can for a minute, then slow down to a moderate pace for a minute, then speed back up to a max speed for a minute, keep doing that back and forth for about 10-15 minutes, then I'm done and I move to my weight training, which usually will consist of moves that target many areas at once, like squats and pullups. I will isolate a few particular areas like calves and triceps, just because I enjoy isolating those areas.

To switch it up every now and then, I will do a full body intense movement cardio workout like rowing, throwing a medicine ball, battle ropes, or just swimming some laps.

Track the calories, reduce the time in the gym while increasing the amount of energy you put out at any one time, and results will follow.

I dont eat alot of almonds but when I have some its because I need some energy and if I d o nt grab them, I will eat nothing.

I travel from store to store for work so it needs to be easy and not need to stay cold...I saw a segment on Dr. Oz praising almonds for like a hundred different reasons. Mostly they are high in fat too...the healthy fat...and if I eat them I will include them in my calorie count going forward. But I need something solid.

The juicing I do is for similiar reasons. I dont and can't pack a lunch...so I would eat nothing all day til at night or get desperate and eat something fast food. It was aweful. And often times theres no time or no place healthy to eat. So in my car...i take a juice and its healthy, raw, and nutritional. I cut out the apples now. Im trying here.

Also need some tips for the pain. When I do lunges/squats...the pain the next day is beyond B-A-D. Its all consuming pain, Its not that good gym ache...its PAIN as if my muscles were sliced up with a razor blade. Any supplements or remedies for this. The next day I can barely work out again the pain is so bad. Doesn't seem normal but Id like to address it so I can turn up intensity without fear of the pain. Late 30's...too young to be walking like a grandma after a hard workout but I do.

You shouldn't work the same muscles two days in a row. I use weights every other day and walk on alternate days. Muscles grow and repair on rest days, not while you are exercising.

Also need some tips for the pain. When I do lunges/squats...the pain the next day is beyond B-A-D. Its all consuming pain, Its not that good gym ache...its PAIN as if my muscles were sliced up with a razor blade. Any supplements or remedies for this.

You do not fix severe, regular, ongoing pain by popping some pills. You fix it with a lifestyle change. Your body is telling you that what you're doing is wrong and harmful. You should listen to it. It sounds like you need to re-evaluate your entire life routine. Basically... you're doing it all wrong.

• Like 1

Also need some tips for the pain. When I do lunges/squats...the pain the next day is beyond B-A-D. Its all consuming pain, Its not that good gym ache...its PAIN as if my muscles were sliced up with a razor blade. Any supplements or remedies for this. The next day I can barely work out again the pain is so bad. Doesn't seem normal but Id like to address it so I can turn up intensity without fear of the pain. Late 30's...too young to be walking like a grandma after a hard workout but I do.

Could be several things.

-Not having correct form. Make sure you keep your lower back straight, a lower back injury can feel like that throughout your entire lower body. But since you are recovering after I don't think physical therapy is needed. Maybe overload.

-You exercise too heavy. Start at lower weight and slowly progress up. Maybe do more reps too so you can get the form down.

-You are using a smith machine (these things should be outlawed, you can never use your natural motion with them, so use a squat rack).

Maybe try front squatting. It is a bit easier and supposedly milder on the lower back. A proper back squat is probably the hardest to do exercise save the olympic lifts. I am still learning and adjusting after years of squatting. And no worries about walking like a grandma the day after, you squat now and take the pain so you won't be walking like a grandma once you are a grandma ;).

• Author
You do not fix severe, regular, ongoing pain by popping some pills. You fix it with a lifestyle change. Your body is telling you that what you're doing is wrong and harmful. You should listen to it. It sounds like you need to re-evaluate your entire life routine. Basically... you're doing it all wrong.

Let me "defend" myself again...I am fine, I dont hurt beyond normal ache and fatigue after my normal gym routine which consists of a mix of cardio, weights, machines....

What I was responding to were the posters that said step it up, make it hard, do more squats and lunges because they use more muscle groups....I was saying in the past when I have done these types of workouts the pain has been intense and I wondered since others dont seem to have this level of intense pain how I can adress it, it maybe it was a vitamin deficiency or if there is something weightlifters do or take or replenish with that can forego that level of pain. Geesh.

Let me "defend" myself again...I am fine, I dont hurt beyond normal ache and fatigue after my normal gym routine which consists of a mix of cardio, weights, machines....

What I was responding to were the posters that said step it up, make it hard, do more squats and lunges because they use more muscle groups....I was saying in the past when I have done these types of workouts the pain has been intense and I wondered since others dont seem to have this level of intense pain how I can adress it, it maybe it was a vitamin deficiency or if there is something weightlifters do or take or replenish with that can forego that level of pain. Geesh.

It could be form, or probably that you don't stretch enough afterwards (if the pain is delayed rather than imminent), or that you are progressing faster than your form can cope.

OP - to reduce pain, don't work out the same muscle groups two days in a row. Give those muscles a day or two to recover before working them again. This is why rest days are awesome.

Also, focus on good form. Don't rush through the motions. I often see people lifting weights at the gym absolutely speeding through the motions, grunting and moving like a maniac with absolutely ridiculous form. Sure, they're lifting a lot of weight, but their muscle and joints must be ravaged! Never allow momentum to take over. Move slow enough that you're never using momentum to get through the motion. If it's too heavy to not use momentum, go down in weight.

It's better to do 5 squats with awesome form than to do 10 squats with less than stellar form.

Also, warming up and cooling down. I like to do a 5 minute warmup on the elliptical, with my hands on the handle thingys that move (so specific lol), that way my arms and legs are getting the blood flowing. Then I cool down with some stretching at the end.

Since being mobile is an issue with food, definitely look into options that don't need extreme refrigeration. I personally love to have a banana handy. A regular sized one is about 90 calories.

Also, perhaps an insulated lunch bag would be good. They make some rather stylish ones that are much different than the kind kids go to school with. Pack up some meats and veggies, maybe a nutritious sandwich, yogurts, and put one of those cheap ice packs in with it, and your stuff will stay cool while your run around all day.

How to Break Through Any Weight-Loss Plateau - JillianMichaels.com

Sounds like you've hit a plateau. You definitely need to track your calories and change your workouts. HIIT (high intensity interval training) such as crossfit or a boot camp type of class is a great starting point.

As others have said, calories should be around 1500/day. I use the free iPhone app, "MyFitnessPal", to track calories. It can become tedious, but you quickly see how easy it is to exceed 1500 calories a day even if you're eating healthy foods (which it sounds like you are). I just had two eggs, a slice of Ezekiel whole grain sprouted bread, half a banana, and coffee for breakfast...already 300 calories.

Good luck, OP! :)

• Author

Yes I think I needed to understand cardio need not be my mainstay but also I was mistaken that since I was working so hard at gym and on my feet all day that I didn't need to track calories but I was mistaken and am looking at and adjusting both workout and calorie count now so Im thankful to all of you for the input.

This is the fresh pressed that I make at home from raw fruit and vegetable. Kale, celery, ginger, lemon, apple, cucumber

As 'natural' as this might be, juice tends to contain lots of calories. Calculate the calories of the individual fruits you are putting into the juicer - chances are they make up an entire meal's worth of calories by themselves. Almonds, while containing lots of important nutrients, are also some of the most calorie dense foods you can find, ever.

At the end of the day, weight loss is still about calories in vs calories out. You have to balance that with nutritional content of food, of course, but that doesn't mean that eating 'healthy' food will automatically make you lose weight.

• Like 4
How to Break Through Any Weight-Loss Plateau - JillianMichaels.com

Sounds like you've hit a plateau. You definitely need to track your calories and change your workouts. HIIT (high intensity interval training) such as crossfit or a boot camp type of class is a great starting point.

As others have said, calories should be around 1500/day. I use the free iPhone app, "MyFitnessPal", to track calories. It can become tedious, but you quickly see how easy it is to exceed 1500 calories a day even if you're eating healthy foods (which it sounds like you are). I just had two eggs, a slice of Ezekiel whole grain sprouted bread, half a banana, and coffee for breakfast...already 300 calories.

Good luck, OP! :)

I find the 1500 calories a day difficult to maintain unless you're just trying to lose weight. When you think about it, that's 3 small meals, nothing to drink but water, no snacks, not even a small dessert. 2000 a day is more realistic for me, but I have a more muscular build. I would starve on just 3 small meals a day. :laugh:

• Like 1

Like FitChick said, there's a good chance you're not getting enough calories. When in a state of caloric deficit, especially if it's more or less constant, your body will store fat.

You can reach a tipping point physiologically where the lack of nourishment actually causes your body to hold onto and store whatever energy it can get. Of course, if you further starve yourself...yes, your body will have no choice but to use up any fat you have stored. But that's actual starvation.

If you're committed enough to put the time into the gym, then you don't have to much beyond tweaking what you do. Somebody mentioned HIIT workouts. That's a good way to get your heart rate/VO2 max up. You have to increase the work that you do. No other way around it. I don't do HIIT workouts myself, because I play basketball (which is an intense HIIT workout, if you ask me), but the concept is sound. Treadmills don't do crap. You have to really push yourself.

Of equal importance is not having a static routine in your workouts. Mix it up.

Then, eat a balanced diet. Quit juicing. If you're doing HIIT-type workouts, you are going to deplete energy reserves in your body, so those need to be replenished. That means you need....hold on....carbs.

Please don't deprive your body of carbs....it runs on carbs! It doesn't matter if they're complex carbohydrates from grains or more simple sugars....your body converts it all to glucose anyway. People that work to eliminate carbs from their diets tax the hell out of their livers. Not smart.

Balanced diet. Try to calculate your caloric burn, and then to lose weight, consume slightly fewer calories than you burn. Don't burn 2500 calories and then only consume 1500....your body will freak out and store whatever it can. If you burn 2500, try to consume 2300. You will lose weight quickly.

Also, drink a lot of water. Being semi-dehydrated can cause your body to retain water. Fat can be converted to water (fat is a hydrocarbon, so it's an easy conversion. Think camel's hump), so if you're dehydrated, your body might store additional fat so that it has water on hand.

• Like 3

Follow up to the above post:

We need to always think about our bodies and what they require to function properly. Ultimately, our bodies are designed to survive, so they have ways to create the conditions required despite what we're giving them.

There are innumerable metabolic functions that are going on inside the body non-stop. Most of them are essentially chemical reactions (I guess I should say bio-chemical reactions to be more accurate). These reactions often require water, sodium (No!!! Sodium is bad!!! Mmmm...nope. You cannot contract a muscle w/o sodium), glucose (No!!! Sugar is bad!!! Mmmmm....nope. Your body essentially runs on it), and so on. All of these things that we consume for nutritional value are required for a reason. You don't just consume vitamins to have vitamins floating around in your body. Or fats. Or proteins. It all gets used for metabolic processes.

Even if that which we consume isn't 'good' (let's say, Oreo cookie instead of a piece of fruit), your body doesn't really care. It's going to convert what it gets into what it needs. But when we play games and deprive our bodies of essential components, we get into trouble. We begin to fight against our own bodies, and our bodies typically win. It will store fat against your will. It will hold on to what it needs to carry out metabolic processes whether you want it to or not. The more you fight it, the more it will backfire. Then, if you get super crazy about it (eg Ketogenic diet without constant monitoring and testing), you run the risk of certain organ failures.

Balance. It's the key. Balanced diet. Diet balanced with exercise. Exercise balanced with rest. Rest balanced with work. Balance.

• Like 2
Okay, cut your calories by 500 a day so you're somewhere in the 1500-2000 range. You may need to go lower, but if you were maintaining the same weight at 2000-2200 you should be okay. Don't expect to lose more than a pound a week. Also, if you don't already have an athletic physique it's likely you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, so pay more attention to how you look in the mirror and what your waist size is, than what the scales say.

Use heavier weights, you should not be able to complete 30 reps of anything. If you can do more than 12 you probably need to up the weight, and by your third set on any exercise you should be more or less at the point of failure before you hit 8-10 reps. You will be surprised how much heavier you can lift than you think you can. Also, it will hurt.

Use compound exercises instead of isolation exercises and machines - do squats, dead lifts, presses, pull-ups, and that sort of thing. If you're working multiple muscle groups at the same time you're going to benefit far more from your gym time. Chances are you won't be ABLE to workout for an hour because you'll have nothing left by then.

You can continue the cardio, but limit it to 20 or 30minutes. If, at the end of your cardio session, you think you could do an extra ten minutes on it, you didn't have the intensity high enough. Bump it up a level or two next time.

This! I've been 130lbs and chunky and 130lbs looking slim and toned. That was actually my issue this past year. I was overeating and a bit overweight and my clothes were tighter. 6 months later I looked like I had slimmed down but weighed the same. Crazy, because I was obviously slimmer. I eventually realized the fat was replaced by muscle. So it is true that you need to look at your overall appearance and how you feel rather than try to achieve a number on a scale.:)

I find the 1500 calories a day difficult to maintain unless you're just trying to lose weight. When you think about it, that's 3 small meals, nothing to drink but water, no snacks, not even a small dessert. 2000 a day is more realistic for me, but I have a more muscular build. I would starve on just 3 small meals a day. :laugh:

It's easy for me and I have 5 small meals! My day looks something like this:

Breakfast: toast, 2-3 eggs, fruit, and coffee

Snack: Boiled Egg, Cashews, and carrots

Lunch: spaghetti squash "spaghetti" with meat sauce, Greek salad (cucumber, tomato, red onion, red wine vinegar, and feta cheese)

Snack: 3 oz deli style turkey, cheese string, sweet snacking peppers, fruit

Dinner: chicken Marsala cooked in coconut oil with green beans and mushrooms

I basically try to incorporate protein, fat, and veggies into every meal. Carbs in the morning and mid afternoon for some added fuel.

Lunch: spaghetti squash "spaghetti" with meat sauce, Greek salad (cucumber, tomato, red onion, red wine vinegar, and feta cheese)

I basically try to incorporate protein, fat, and veggies into every meal. Carbs in the morning and mid afternoon for some added fuel.

That definitely sounds doable. I guess it's really all about monitoring how many calories is in everything. I usually do my best to look at calorie counts when eating out. It's harder for me to count calories when I cook vs. getting something premade with the calorie count. For example, getting a salad from Trader Joes that is 350 calories and sticking with that for lunch allows me to track better. Time is usually an issue when I'm working full time, but it's really easy for me to monitor this stuff if I am home most of the day without the time constraints.

You and me both, sistah. No way. LOL

Like FitChick said, there's a good chance you're not getting enough calories. When in a state of caloric deficit, especially if it's more or less constant, your body will store fat.

You can reach a tipping point physiologically where the lack of nourishment actually causes your body to hold onto and store whatever energy it can get. Of course, if you further starve yourself...yes, your body will have no choice but to use up any fat you have stored. But that's actual starvation.

If you're committed enough to put the time into the gym, then you don't have to much beyond tweaking what you do. Somebody mentioned HIIT workouts. That's a good way to get your heart rate/VO2 max up. You have to increase the work that you do. No other way around it. I don't do HIIT workouts myself, because I play basketball (which is an intense HIIT workout, if you ask me), but the concept is sound. Treadmills don't do crap. You have to really push yourself.

Of equal importance is not having a static routine in your workouts. Mix it up.

Then, eat a balanced diet. Quit juicing. If you're doing HIIT-type workouts, you are going to deplete energy reserves in your body, so those need to be replenished. That means you need....hold on....carbs.

Please don't deprive your body of carbs....it runs on carbs! It doesn't matter if they're complex carbohydrates from grains or more simple sugars....your body converts it all to glucose anyway. People that work to eliminate carbs from their diets tax the hell out of their livers. Not smart.

Balanced diet. Try to calculate your caloric burn, and then to lose weight, consume slightly fewer calories than you burn. Don't burn 2500 calories and then only consume 1500....your body will freak out and store whatever it can. If you burn 2500, try to consume 2300. You will lose weight quickly.

Also, drink a lot of water. Being semi-dehydrated can cause your body to retain water. Fat can be converted to water (fat is a hydrocarbon, so it's an easy conversion. Think camel's hump), so if you're dehydrated, your body might store additional fat so that it has water on hand.

This is absolutely excellent advice. Perfect.

This would be way to high in fat and too low in carbohydrates for me, there is no way I would train on this. I go for around 30/30/40 on my macros - the 40 being carbohydrates.

My basal metabolic rate is 1450 calories and i like to do a bit of thinking so 1500 calories would see me brain dead.

Do people actually work out their BMR and macros before choosing their daily calorie requirements? Some of them seem to be plucked from thin air - like anyone on 1200cal/day.

• Like 1
This would be way to high in fat and too low in carbohydrates for me, there is no way I would train on this. I go for around 30/30/40 on my macros - the 40 being carbohydrates.

My basal metabolic rate is 1450 calories and i like to do a bit of thinking so 1500 calories would see me brain dead.

Do people actually work out their BMR and macros before choosing their daily calorie requirements? Some of them seem to be plucked from thin air - like anyone on 1200cal/day.

I do!!! I even included a calculator on an earlier page of this thread!

I would not be able to function on 1500 without being very very mean. And tired. And mean. LOL

( but you probably weren't asking me. LOL )

• Like 1

I've never worked on BMR and macros? Is this similar to the calculator on Eat to Perform? I've tried that one and it says I need like 2200 calories a day! That's way too hard for me to reach!

As for carbs, I agree you'd need more. I usually do add more fruit, grains, and or sweet potatoes on workout days, but nothing overboard.

I am not sure what eat to perform is.

BMR is your basal metabolic rate. The minimum calories you need to subsist.

Calculate your BMR

anything that goes below this is way, way too low.

I must eat 3400 calories per day. Take that suckers! MC Donalds, here I come. Actually, it is shoarma tonight, with a complimentary 6pack heineken ;)

• Like 3