company not allowing time for two week notice

thefooloftheyear
I commend that fact that you're trying to be considerate to both employers! Is there any chance your current employer would say 'never mind the two weeks, just go'? I've had this happen to me more than once, they didn't want me around knowing I was leaving. Of course, those were transitional jobs in which I was expendable.

You and Donni both have great ideas, I hope it works.

Good luck in your new position!

This....

Im an employer and have been for decades..

The "two weeks notice" while honorable..is pretty much unnecessary in most cases...Here is why...Most employers dont want a lame duck employee around anyway...Wont ever accuse the OP of this, but in some cases, you need to be concerner that the leaving employee is going to steal something or..? Most employers have enough to worry about wothout having someone around that you can no longer count on and wont care...In only a few isolated cases did I let a guy stay the two weeks...Most of the time I just told them they can leave right there and I dont want them to stay the two weeks.

Just walk in to the hiring managers office and tell them of the scenario...If you were a decent and good employee, the boss will completely understad. If he/she doesnt, then just dont worry about it and go..Ive never bad mouthed of gave a poor referral to an employee that just left..Its understandable and most bosses know this as they(and I ) have hired people by telllinh them I needed them to start ASAP..

TFY

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear
Most employers won't give two weeks notice when laying off or firing an employee, anyway. I've witnessed computers being locked while the employee was told their position was no longer needed. They were given a couple hours to box up their stuff and that was that.

True..but look at the employers side.

Its important to protect yourself from the one or two vindictive employees that will feel jilted and try to harm the company in some way or steal something...Its not personal..

TFY

I think another exception is if you need or want a reference in the future. If you leave without notice then the company will likely decide you are not eligible for rehire and could say that if a future employer calls for a reference. If you may need them in the future then don't burn a bridge. Offer 1-2 weeks notice, finish up any projects, leave clear notes on what is not completed and why, pack your things, and then leave.

I also would say its rare for employers to notify employees in advance of a lay off. Generally you show up to work one day and are later called in for a meeting where you're told you're no longer needed and to pack your stuff and go. I always hated having to waste my time coming to work in the first place.

This was the one thing I absolutely loved about temp agencies. They would always call in the early evening after you'd finished your shift, say your assignment was ended earlier than expected, and ask if you left any personal items they would need to collect. I was smart and never left anything so it was a clean break.

This. Thankfully, at my recent temporary assignment, I never left any personal items. What irked me though is the temp agency calling me 2 hours before my shift and telling me not to come in. I was rather irritated, because I was out of town and left early so I could make it to my shift. Called at 12pm and my shift started at 2pm. Really?

This. Thankfully, at my recent temporary assignment, I never left any personal items. What irked me though is the temp agency calling me 2 hours before my shift and telling me not to come in. I was rather irritated, because I was out of town and left early so I could make it to my shift. Called at 12pm and my shift started at 2pm. Really?

For this reason I was very particular about how far I was willing to travel while temping. For well paying assignments I'd commute as far as 30 minutes, otherwise it was 20 minutes max. If I wasn't needed at the last minute then I'd either be called before I had to leave or it wouldn't be too bad to turn around and go back home.

• Like 1
True..but look at the employers side.

Its important to protect yourself from the one or two vindictive employees that will feel jilted and try to harm the company in some way or steal something...Its not personal..

TFY

I agree completely. Didn't mean to imply any judgement on the company's part. Just stating a fact.

I've seen it happen where someone puts in their two weeks notice and then start taking 3 hour lunches, and letting work fall on the side, etc, etc, etc...

I've also seen the reverse.

The 2 weeks notice is a courtesy, BUT at some companies, if you do not provide a timely enough notice, they won't pay for your vacation time.

So it's always important to know what your company's policy is on those.

Also, I've seen people have negative PTO and were surprised to find out they had to pay some time off back or tuition reimbursement as well.

At a job where I was part-time, I actually wouldn't worry as much and would consider the employer lucky if they got 1 week notice.

• Like 1

The 2 weeks notice is a courtesy, BUT at some companies, if you do not provide a timely enough notice, they won't pay for your vacation time.

If you leave my company, or I fire you, you will not get vacation pay.

I give 1 week the first year, 2 weeks the 2nd year and 3 the third year. You take whatever time you want during the year. But you do not get paid vacation pay until your anniversary date.