Trying to figure out what's next?

Lovely Difficulties

Lovely Difficulties

I'm 27-years old, and I'm trying to figure out what's next for me in life. When I envisioned my life at 27, I'm not exactly where I thought I would be, but I understand that's a rarity. I sort of thought that I would be married by now, or at least I had hoped that would be the case. I merely haven't met anyone that is a suitable match, and while I've had a few boyfriends (college boyfriend and long distance boyfriend), they didn't last. The majority of my friends from back home are married and building a life with their spouse, starting families of their own. I think I've married off every close friend of mine, and while happy for them, I can't help but wish that I had that. I merely just haven't met the right person I guess, and I understand that it's better to be alone than with the wrong person. I never had a high school or college sweetheart, and those stories truly do melt my heart, but I gave up on that. My college boyfriend and I didn't work out because we were young and immature, and also he wanted to stay in a small town near his family, and I wanted to see more of the world.

After finishing my college degree, I spent a year living in a city close to my family, and while it wasn't a "dream job" it was good work experience. I also met a guy while there. I ended up going back for a master's degree, which opened a few career doors. At the same time I was balancing in a long distance relationship, and upon completing my degree ended up moving to be with my boyfriend at the time, hoping that we would get engaged. It ended up going terribly as he struggled to fit me into his life, and I had to move somewhere else to find better employment. We keep in touch, but I feel beyond removed from the relationship. I think instead of missing him, I miss what we had in the beginning and companionship in general.

I'm across the country from my family, but I have a job that I do enjoy that pays well. I've been with my company for a year now, and I've been able to travel and have made some great friends where I'm at. I'm never bored. However, I do miss my family a lot, but I'm not sure if it's more just feeling lonely and seeking companionship. I know that if I move back closer to my family, I'll be building my own life, but it would be nice to closer to them. I haven't met anyone where I'm at. So, I'm trying to figure out what's next for me, in the next year or so. I have a few options, and those are stay where I'm at, try and move back closer to my family or transfer to another office with my company to an exciting city like NYC and see what it has in store for me. I'm curious for new adventures, but I also don't want to never settle down.

Any advice?

It sounds like you are strong enough to handle new environment and challenges. You are so young, so I would say go for the adventure. Your family would be there for you when you need them.

Agreed. You never know how new adventures will pan out, so take the chance. You have the potential of meeting someone worthy absolutely anywhere you go, so feel free to go where the excitement is.

• Author
Lovely Difficulties

Part of me feels afraid that if I keep chasing adventures that I'll never settle down and get married..

Part of me feels afraid that if I keep chasing adventures that I'll never settle down and get married..

Well, to settle down you've got to find someone first, right? ;)

Think of it as "optimizing your search radius for your other half".

I have a few options, and those are stay where I'm at, try and move back closer to my family or transfer to another office with my company to an exciting city like NYC and see what it has in store for me. I'm curious for new adventures, but I also don't want to never settle down.

Any advice?

NYC is not great for single women, I've heard.
  • Author
Lovely Difficulties

I've heard that it's not a great place for single women. I'm living in a pretty exciting city right now, but am wavering if I should stay or not. I like my job, but there's nothing keeping me in terms of personal life. Not sure where I will go, or if I even will. I guess I've been worried about not settling down ever and feel discouraged about still being single.

Edited by sassiechik21