What is your blood pressure

thefooloftheyear
Damage due to high BP can manifest itself in many ways. Thus why it is called a silent killer. A cardiologist would not be able to detect this damage. I deal every day with stroke patients who might have been able to run a marathon the day before.

Re BP meds being over prescribed. I agree. However, this is the minority of patients and you do not know if this applies to you or not. A family physician is looking at more than BP...he has your medical history, race, family history, etc. two patients may have identical BP...only one may be prescribed meds.

With all due respect.....

16 months ago, an experienced orthopedist told me that I wouldnt have better than 70$% range of motion amd would barely be able to move an empty bar if I didnt surgically repair my torn rotator cuff...Today, after NOT repairing it, not only do I have full range of motion, I have a 440 lb bench press-which is about as strong as i have ever been..

Sure...everyone knows that anyone could drop dead the next day....even a seasoned athlete..I dont live my life that worrying about that and quite frankly I have led almost 50 years of life with no major issues-I dould drop dead tomorrow and I would consider it a great life....But when a doctor(who probably couldnt climb a flight of stairs without hyperventilating) looks at a big and strong man in obviously great shape, and with below average bodyfat levels but is off the stupid "chart" as far as weight goes-and tells me I have to lose weight....well he can stick it..

The cardiologist I see has 50+ years of clinical experience and forgot more than most doctors will ever hope to know..He is the recognized authority in this area and has been on tv many times to speak of issues regarding health and wellness...If he says I am fine, and says "whatever you are doing, just keep doing it"..well...i'm ok with that..

I do appreciate your concern though

TFY

• Like 1
Funny how you mention salt, OP. I find this article very interesting: It's Time to End the War on Salt - Scientific American

My bs runs around 120/80 or less most times I measure it. I eat ok (I indulge some days and have to moderate on others) and exercise regularly.

I'm going to hope that's a positive nod to salt? My doc told me to eat it liberally, especially when I feel my BP is running low.

Pass the Fritoes.

• Like 4

116/80.

Highest its been is 140/100 and that was due to a major illness I incurred.

Its true that diet can be the culprit or the cure contingent on your body. I've learned to actually intake salty foods when doing more yard work or physical activity. My blood sugar is also monitored ...So there are on going things to, I am mindful of.

The Like Fairy

Mine had been creeping up to 145/90, but I recently cleaned up my eating habits and dropped 10 pounds, and the other day it measured in at 110/80. I was amazed!

I'd like to see that bottom number come down to 70. The bottom number is the important one, right?

• Like 2

117/70.. Like clockwork - never shifts wherever or whenever i take it!

My fiances is the opposite thought shifts around like crazy - whenever they take it at the doctors or in hospital when she had our boys it was through the roof - like freaking them out high, so they gave us a machine to check it at home and on that she's quite low - white quote hypertension I think.

Edited by Shepp
  • 2 weeks later...
TigerLilly78

110/65 ish and my cholesterol levels were good to and im even over weight..go figure..

• 3 weeks later...

I have very high blood pressure for someone my age, can't remember the number off the top of my head but the doctors always comment!

Now I'm terrified of having my blood pressure done as I hate it, so I get stressed, which causes it to go up, which causes them to do it more... Its a vicious cycle. My diet isn't too bad, and I don't exercise as much as I used to but its not like I do nothing, I don't see why it should be so high!

They asked me to monitor it at home and it was still higher than it should be, but within acceptable range. Anyone else experienced this?

• Author
I have very high blood pressure for someone my age, can't remember the number off the top of my head but the doctors always comment!

Now I'm terrified of having my blood pressure done as I hate it, so I get stressed, which causes it to go up, which causes them to do it more... Its a vicious cycle. My diet isn't too bad, and I don't exercise as much as I used to but its not like I do nothing, I don't see why it should be so high!

They asked me to monitor it at home and it was still higher than it should be, but within acceptable range. Anyone else experienced this?

That's not terribly unusual. Do you eat a lot of salt or processed foods [which generally contain a lot of salt]? If you do eat far more salt than is required, you might try drastically reducing your salt intake and see if your bp improves.

And I just noticed this

A low-carb diet lowers insulin levels, which causes the kidneys to excrete excess sodium from the body . Low-carb diets are an excellent way to reduce blood pressure and improve health.

The Salt Myth - How Much Sodium Should You Eat Per Day?

I'm always in the 110/60 range. Very low resting heart rate, too. I was in the hospital once, and they kept coming in to check on me at night because I was dipping into the low 40s and even high 30s.

I'm always in the 110/60 range. Very low resting heart rate, too. I was in the hospital once, and they kept coming in to check on me at night because I was dipping into the low 40s and even high 30s.

The danger with low 40's / high 30's heart rate is that you don't progress down slowly or gradually from there. Next stop is zero.

HBP - 220/110 unmedicated!!!

120/70 with medication, AND lower resting heart rate. That's how I know about that.

Superman cholesterol level at 150 ish.

Before my last ex, 125/80 hr 85

During relationship last 2 months with my last ex 140/90 hr 100

post break up first 2 months 145/95, sometimes hitting 150/100 hr 110

post break up 5 months 120/80 hr 80

Just need to stay away from relationships and I'll be ok

Negative Nancy

2 days ago at the doctor:

In the middle of a panic attack (I can be a bit of hypochondriac sometimes): 125 / 85

Calm: 100 / 70

(I'm on BBs for high resting heart rate, though.)

Edited by Negative Nancy
The danger with low 40's / high 30's heart rate is that you don't progress down slowly or gradually from there. Next stop is zero.

HBP - 220/110 unmedicated!!!

120/70 with medication, AND lower resting heart rate. That's how I know about that.

Superman cholesterol level at 150 ish.

Sorry, I should have clarified that that was my heart rate while sleeping, not just resting. I play a lot of sports and often max my heart rate out, and a low heart rate while sleeping is pretty common with athletes.