Do you truly ever get over the other person?

dumbass2

I think my case is unusual in that it was a short term 5+ month fast paced, intense relationship and I'm in my late 40's. It's been 6 months and I'm still thinking about her.....too much. I'm trying to move on and just try dating the last few months, but I find it very disappointing and frustrating. I think that is part of my problem in trying to get completely past her.

You know the dynamic of my last relationship was almost the same - my ex courted me starting in June/July, we met in person in November, and by the end of May I broke up with him. He was the love of my life, at least so far! I am 40 and have had longer relationships that I got over a lot quicker. I also tried pushing myself to date and all it did was make me miss my ex, because emotionally I wasn't ready. (Like, "crying in the bathroom after a date with a hot 25 year old" sort of not ready). What counts, I think, is the depth and the intensity of the bond you had - it is totally OK to respect that and just give yourself time. I have been allowing myself to "let it be" with my feelings, sit and accept my feelings as they come, and who the hell cares how long it takes me? Funnily enough when I gave myself permission to be in the moment with my feelings, I started healing. You are going to be OK. Your timeline for healing will unfold naturally and just the way it is meant to be. Just take care of yourself through it all.

• Like 1