Spousal support hearing Thursday

PegNosePete
Lawyers are shysters, and only in it to line their own pockets by running up the retainer so fast, leading their clients on, and dragging a case that could be solved soonest into years of misery.

Actually that's far from the truth. I'm sure you're aware that lawyers are not short of jobs; the rising divorce rate etc means they have plenty of clients. They can pick and choose the cases, and have plenty of work. The kind of work you describe is soul-destroying for a lawyer. Any decent lawyer would much prefer to have a nice amicable case where both parties are reasonable and co-operating, than dragging each other through the mud kicking and screaming. Only lawyers that are short of work (ie. bad lawyers) would actively encourage a client to drag a case on. Plus it's a part of their legal responsibility to act in the best interests of their client; this includes keeping fees to a minimum and not doing unnecessary work.

So really this "nobody benefits but the lawyers!" is a falsity... the lawyers would benefit more if you handled the case amicably, they got their fees, and moved onto the next client.

Actually that's far from the truth. I'm sure you're aware that lawyers are not short of jobs; the rising divorce rate etc means they have plenty of clients. They can pick and choose the cases, and have plenty of work. The kind of work you describe is soul-destroying for a lawyer. Any decent lawyer would much prefer to have a nice amicable case where both parties are reasonable and co-operating, than dragging each other through the mud kicking and screaming. Only lawyers that are short of work (ie. bad lawyers) would actively encourage a client to drag a case on. Plus it's a part of their legal responsibility to act in the best interests of their client; this includes keeping fees to a minimum and not doing unnecessary work.

So really this "nobody benefits but the lawyers!" is a falsity... the lawyers would benefit more if you handled the case amicably, they got their fees, and moved onto the next client.

Keep telling yourself that. You honestly think after a lawyer sees your financials, and there isn't much there in terms of being in the positive figures, they will still take on your case?

As soon as lawyers see that there is a lot of money, they want to suck you dry...which is why they ask to see your financials...period!

I reiterate...Lawyers are shysters just like used car sales people

PegNosePete
Keep telling yourself that. You honestly think after a lawyer sees your financials, and there isn't much there in terms of being in the positive figures, they will still take on your case?

Yes, lawyers get paid on an hourly basis, not as a commission of your net worth. But if you don't have enough to pay their fees then of course they won't take you on.

As soon as lawyers see that there is a lot of money, they want to suck you dry...which is why they ask to see your financials...period!

No, they ask to see your financials because the financials are entirely relevant to the case at hand. How can they know what to ask for in court if they don't know what you've got?

Yes, lawyers get paid on an hourly basis, not as a commission of your net worth. But if you don't have enough to pay their fees then of course they won't take you on.

No, they ask to see your financials because the financials are entirely relevant to the case at hand. How can they know what to ask for in court if they don't know what you've got?

I am more versed in family law matters now...wrapped up my own case this week after 2yrs as the applicant that was self represented and won.

Here in Canada, the financials go into form 13.1, and yes I get it's part of the case, but my point is that Lawyers want to see this right off the bat in order to know if it's worth them time, even if you have a retainer to give them. By seeing your finances, they are able to suck it dry quickly i.e. email cost $75, phone call is $150, photocopy is almost $2/page etc

Lawyers have their place. But in this case, this lawyers just looking for a bigger paycheck. If her Ex husband was only making 75,000 and she was make 60,000. He would just tell her to mediate out of court and would advise against any other suits .i.e. alienation of affection or intention to cause emotional distress suits. Too much work for a payout they won't see for a while even if they win.

Most divorce lawyers want it done easy and quick for them to pick up a check for a couple thousand dollars for shuffling paperwork. Most divorce lawyers would rather not go to court. More work for them to ensure they have everything ready for court. Divorce is going to happen one way or another, they just want it done quick and easy for an easy paycheck.

But, in this case where her Ex is making 450K. He's looking for this dude to pay for his boat.

Lawyers have their place. But in this case, this lawyers just looking for a bigger paycheck. If her Ex husband was only making 75,000 and she was make 60,000. He would just tell her to mediate out of court and would advise against any other suits .i.e. alienation of affection or intention to cause emotional distress suits. Too much work for a payout they won't see for a while even if they win.

Most divorce lawyers want it done easy and quick for them to pick up a check for a couple thousand dollars for shuffling paperwork. Most divorce lawyers would rather not go to court. More work for them to ensure they have everything ready for court. Divorce is going to happen one way or another, they just want it done quick and easy for an easy paycheck.

But, in this case where her Ex is making 450K. He's looking for this dude to pay for his boat.

My points exactly, and well of course the wife here thinks her lawyer has her interest at heart...NO he does not

• Author
My points exactly, and well of course the wife here thinks her lawyer has her interest at heart...NO he does not

I trust my lawyer and my stbx has the option to come up with a reasonable offer to make it all go away.

I hope he does represent himself he'll only make an *** out of himself, plus he can't tell the truth and will most likely perjure himself.

I trust my lawyer and my stbx has the option to come up with a reasonable offer to make it all go away.

I hope he does represent himself he'll only make an *** out of himself, plus he can't tell the truth and will most likely perjure himself.

He might accept a reasonable counter-offer. I'd tell your lawyer to make one sooner than later. Going to trial ("perjure himself") rarely results in a win. Watch the movie "Divorce Corp" (2014) and then consider making a smart counter-offer.

Divorce is in PA, which is the only state that has APL (ALIMONY PENDENTE LITE), which is for up to 2 years. The OP can expect at least this time amount for alimony, and the already set $3900/monthly amount will probably not change. As for assets, are all these paid for or do they have liens and possibly be upside down? Discovery could actually be harmful, although it's impossible to say. Hidden money has to be 100% proven to be used to split..which rarely happens.

• Author
Divorce is in PA, which is the only state that has APL (ALIMONY PENDENTE LITE), which is for up to 2 years. The OP can expect at least this time amount for alimony, and the already set $3900/monthly amount will probably not change. As for assets, are all these paid for or do they have liens and possibly be upside down? Discovery could actually be harmful, although it's impossible to say. Hidden money has to be 100% proven to be used to split..which rarely happens.

I have no idea if discovery will be harmful because he lies about everything, I found out about the other 2 homes from one of the neighbors he's friends with and I found out he opened several bank accounts 2 years ago, one with his daughter and another with his daughter and ex-wife and 2 others in his name alone. He was putting a small amount of his pay into our house account while I was putting all of my pay in it. He has a safety deposit box he never told me about which I have no idea what he has in it and he recently received money from an insurance claim he never told me about.

About a year ago he said he wanted to learn how to shoot a gun and wanted me to go with him to a gun range, I said no way because he knows I'm scared of guns. While I was packing to leave the home I came across a concealed weapons permit he had gotten before we ever met, yet he's telling me he's never shot a gun in his life and he's always after me to take out more life insurance polices, so you can guess whats going through my mind.

As of today I still haven't received a dime from him, he has 30 days to comply with the courts ruling.

I have no idea if discovery will be harmful because he lies about everything, I found out about the other 2 homes from one of the neighbors he's friends with and I found out he opened several bank accounts 2 years ago, one with his daughter and another with his daughter and ex-wife and 2 others in his name alone. He was putting a small amount of his pay into our house account while I was putting all of my pay in it. He has a safety deposit box he never told me about which I have no idea what he has in it and he recently received money from an insurance claim he never told me about.

About a year ago he said he wanted to learn how to shoot a gun and wanted me to go with him to a gun range, I said no way because he knows I'm scared of guns. While I was packing to leave the home I came across a concealed weapons permit he had gotten before we ever met, yet he's telling me he's never shot a gun in his life and he's always after me to take out more life insurance polices, so you can guess whats going through my mind.

As of today I still haven't received a dime from him, he has 30 days to comply with the courts ruling.

The 2 accounts you found in his name you can probably go after. But I don't think you can go after accounts that are legally in his daughter's name. Those are her accounts, unless you want to drag her into court. Are you willing to go THAT far? I mean, for all you know, that might be her college fund. Or funds to start up a new life.

Edited by Chi townD
  • Author
The 2 accounts you found in his name you can probably go after. But I don't think you can go after accounts that are legally in his daughter's name. Those are her accounts, unless you want to drag her into court. Are you willing to go THAT far? I mean, for all you know, that might be her college fund. Or funds to start up a new life.

No they are not her accounts , they are his accounts that he added her name to, he's the only one making deposits to the accounts from both his govt. job and his private practice. Yes, I will go that far and a lot further, you think its fair that he can take his earnings and do like he wishes when he demands me to deposit all of my earnings into our joint account.