Is there a nice way of putting this?

spiderowl

Case in point: (Oh lordy....!)

Defence and defense are different spellings of the same word. Defense is preferred in American English, and defence is preferred in all other main varieties of English, including Australian, British, and Canadian English.

:lmao:

Ah, dear.....

To call someone "dim" is maybe a bit too direct and in some ways offensive to others.

I d say he might have something like learning difficulties but Im still suprised why someone is going online to ask people`s opinions on how to say "no" to someone.

All you have to do is say as an example you had a nice time but he is someone your not looking for. No need for the lets be friends chat as I find that as an excuse to lessen the rejection.

"Thank you for your kind offer. I had a good time but you`re not what Im looking for".

Its direct, mature and gets to the point.

• Like 2
To call someone "dim" is maybe a bit too direct and in some ways offensive to others.

I d say he might have something like learning difficulties but Im still suprised why someone is going online to ask people`s opinions on how to say "no" to someone.

All you have to do is say as an example you had a nice time but he is someone your not looking for. No need for the lets be friends chat as I find that as an excuse to lessen the rejection.

"Thank you for your kind offer. I had a good time but you`re not what Im looking for".

Its direct, mature and gets to the point.

Trust Zippy to not 'Bungle' and keep with the Off-Topic issue, but instead bring a 'rainbow' back to the thread. 'Gordon' Bennett, well done.... :D

• Like 1

Yeah, apologies for the derail, OP. I should probably stop posting in this thread, as I have nothing much to add to the suggestions the others have given (on how to decline nicely).

Just trying to be respectful to the originator of the thread and get back on track to help.

Keep smiling folks :D

• Like 2
Case in point: (Oh lordy....!)

:lmao:

Ah, dear.....

Yes, most people are aware of that and other like differences in spelling. The confusion in this, again, is that in the States, 'spelt' is how the unintelligent spell 'spelled'.

My remark was an instant association reaction to a lifetime of hearing/reading dumb 'Muricans say 'spelt' (which is incorrect here). So, today I have learnt that spelt is OK in the UK. Good. Let's move on. You got me...I admit it.

• Author
did you try to get him to open up about anything ...did you initiate conversation or did he try too? I have been with a few shy guys and eventually they end up opening up to me ....my ex i was in a fifteen year relationship is a man of few words more actions......but we can talk up a storm...he todl em when we first started as friends that he couldnt talk liek he does with em with anyone.......he talks little to others...but with me .....hours..........i tend to do that maybe i talk too much.....ok.....shutting up now...no ....not yet..... i have one more question did he have any hobbies or interests you found interesting..... just one........deb

I did try Deb, he just sort of listened and smiled but didn't respond much. He seemed to have a series of things he did during the week, work and looking after child, and no hobbies? I know it's hard to do much else when you have a child, even if only part time, but all correspondence has been so simplistic it's like exchanging messages with a five-year-old.

As a guy, while it hurts, I appreciate a girl who ends it ASAP when she knows it's just not there.

How to phrase it is just semantics. But he's a big boy. He should be able to take it.

Something like "Sorry, you're a nice guy and all, but I just don't see you in a romantic light. I hope you'll find the right one."

totally agree. would give an arm and a leg for a girl to reject me early on ASAP

This thread was closed as there are too many off topic posts to cleanup, the OP did get plenty of good advice and wishes to thank everyone who participated, thanks