Accused by IT guy of doing prohibited activity on work computer. What can I do?

I agree that you should look for another job immediately. Especially for these key reasons:

-your computer screen being visible to all (I have worked in those environments and it's too distracting)

-everyone having access to what you do on the computer

-you already have a strike against you that isn't your fault

-you've been set up to fail

Get out asap.

• Like 1

Keep your ears pricked and your eyes peeled for any you-centric gossip, as social relationships at the workplace and gossip are what's used to get people fired who are total victims b/c they are usually nice people who are unaware that someone else perceives them as a threat (and its usually b/c the other person's ego is weak or inflated).

This. People in corporate environments are seriously shady in my experience. Do not trust anyone and do not talk about this with anyone besides the VP.

I suggest you look into your state law on recording conversations. For many states it is legal to record conversations in which one consenting party is participating (you). If this is the case in your state, I suggest you record the conversation that you have with your VP in case you need to pursue legal action.

Here are the states where two party consent is required:

California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and Washington, require all parties to the conversation to consent to being taped. Hawaii, a one-party consent state, requires all-party consent if the device is installed in a private place.

• Like 1