It's Raining, No Gym Card, How Can I Exercise???

Anyone have any methods they

use for staying active and getting the cardio

going when it's raining??

I'm living in San Diego right now and it's been

raining like crazy for the past week. I can't get out to

go running and I don't have a Gym Membership. I hate

gyms anyway.

I don't want to diet, i'm trying to get out and exercise, but

keep finding obstacles....anyone have any Advice/ideas?

OR if you don't want to get soaked :)

--are you in a house or building with stairs? I do 30 "sets" of stairs when it's raining outside, in slow and fast intervals, to loud music. On a few sets, take two and three at a time. They'll kick your butt.

--do you have a VCR or DVD player near a relatively open area? Cardio and weight training videos are a godsend when the weather's not. (I like videos in "The Firm" series--they're serious about it.) I just use the TV/VCR in my bedroom and work out there--I keep all my free weights and weight bar under my bed and my step in my closet for easy access. I also have Pilates and yoga tapes for variety.

--do you get FitTV? During mornings and afternoons the channel has a variety of workout programs that I'll work out to in a pinch. I even tape my favorites to do on my own schedule.

--how dirty is your house? On some bad-weather days, I designate an hour for serious housecleaning--scrubbing sinks and tubs, vacuuming and mopping floors, taking heavy things from one place to another, cleaning the basement, etc. By the time I'm done, it's a 60-minute workout and my house is clean(er), all before the workday begins.

--drive to a mall. In St. Louis, we have a mall called St. Louis Mills that's a huge loop around. I'm pretty sure four loops would be AT LEAST a mile, if not two. Malls with stairs are bonus. Obviously, jogging would be frowned upon, but you'd still get a good walk in.

--drive to a tall building. Run up the stairs to the top and walk back to the bottom, as many times as its height allows.

--don't allow for obstacles. Figure you have to work out most days of the week, rain or shine. Just pick an activity and do it.

--OR you can purchase the appropriate weather gear, and run in the rain. I've done it in water resistant clothing and a visor to keep rain out of my eyes, although I must admit I don't like it much. And in pouring rain--well, I'm with you there. It ain't happening.

Just a few ideas to get you through the rain! Hope it stops soon.

Sophia

I just run in the rain and get wet, though it depends on temperature. Running in 50 degree rain isn't as much fun as 85 :)

Else a lightweight waterproof top, visor and a long hot bath when you get back is all thats really needed.

Running in the rain can be refreshing. If you are a long distance runner you will want to cover your nipples with bandaids to stop your clothing from abrading your nipples.

If you are competitive just remember that while you aren't training your competition is.

Running in the rain is soooooooooooo much fun!!!! Just make sure you have extra layers and NO cotton clothing!! Synthetic fabrics baby! :bunny:

Judging by your avatar I'm guessing your a cyclist... remember that running in the rain is certainly better than riding on the trainer and/or riding in the rain!!

Have fun!!

Originally posted by tiki

Get one of those stationary things for your bike you have now. Then bike inside, stationary style.

tiki is always innovative :p

im starting to walk fast around my neighborhood. i do 3 laps around my block after dinner... i mean i have a pretty flat stomache now but i want it real nice for when summer comes around... this will do the trick right? i hope so lol im a lazy one

Running will flatten your stomach - I don't know how people can wait until it's already summer before worrying about their tummies and tushes!Sit ups don't hurt either...

Originally posted by snarky

they're called trainers!

Never heard of that. We call it a stationary. Oh well.

<<

Never heard of that. We call it a stationary. Oh well.>>

A "stationary" bike is like what they have at the gym... a trainer is what you use to prop up the back wheel of a regular bike and add resistance to it so you can ride your regular bike inside.... :bunny: