Online dating profile: do I sound like a creep?

Lineage? You mean being raised Catholic? Or inheriting artistic tendencies form parents?

And that last paragraph about being European and about Chicago.

• Author
Eddy Street
And that last paragraph about being European and about Chicago.

Why? I thought that was pretty cool. What impression does it give? Just curious.

Also, I put my primary match photo up as my avatar here. What are your thoughts? That is my best recent photo. I think it looks good, it's not idealized or anything and natural/casual. It was taken during a time last year when I was the happiest I've been in a long time. The only problem I can see is that I might look a bit stoned in the photo.

Edited by Eddy Street

Your photo is fine. Maybe a little stoned, but since when did that put anyone off.

To me, that last paragraph is just a tiny bit grandiose. Not extremely so, but I would think just keeping yourself casual and approachable would get the most hits, that's all.

• Like 1
fieldofdaisies

Hi Eddy- I have never online dated and have been married many years, but I would say if I was a single girl, I'd rate you as at least a 9/10 by that profile picture. Your longish, windblown hair suggests 'outdoorsy' or 'artistic', and in your detailed profile, you described yourself as both! So it's spot-on! You don't even need to go into all that detail.

To be honest, I think it needs to be trimmed and edited a LOT. Too much 'me, me, me.' It makes you seem less easygoing and too desperate.

If you keep it really basic, just the pictures and a few brief sentences telling what you like to do, without the philosophical fluff, girls will be drawn to your pics first and then will want to ASK more questions about you. Then, you can tell them more about yourself bit by bit!

Good luck!

• Like 2
hasaquestion

^Listen to this OP^

That's how it happens when someone likes your profile. She looked at your picture, filled out an image of you in her imagination (Gosh he's cute... Wow, he looks really easygoing... I bet he's artistic... He's got such a relaxed style... I bet he loves the outdoors.), then decided she wanted to find out more. No essay needed.

• Like 1

Also, I put my primary match photo up as my avatar here. What are your thoughts? That is my best recent photo. I think it looks good, it's not idealized or anything and natural/casual. It was taken during a time last year when I was the happiest I've been in a long time. The only problem I can see is that I might look a bit stoned in the photo.

Yeah, you look a bit disheveled. You have a very good looking face, but the hair in that pic is kinda sloppy looking. Of course - I am an old fogey, so the younger women here may have a bit of a different opinion. :D

As far as how to add humor into your profile, if you are funny and comedy is your life, you should be able to figure that out, even if it adding in a few lines from favorite movies. If you can't, then maybe instead of saying comedy is your life, say that you love laughing at comedy and improv (or whatever it is you like to laugh at - give examples; that gives people reading a good idea of who you are.)

I wouldn't worry about removing some of your existing text. Sure, some people will find it wordy and grandiose, but you don't want to attract those people anyway. If YOU think it is pretty cool, it's best to focus on attracting a woman who ALSO thinks it is cool, not a woman who you have to highly edit yourself for because she doesn't get you.

Always go for quality, not quantity - unless you are just looking for hookups. You are good looking enough that you don't need to settle for whatever comes your way. Hold out for someone on your wavelength.

• Like 1

Second, be clear about who it is you're trying to attract, and speak to that specific audience. If you repel people outside your target audience, even better!

What does success look like for you? Tailor your profile and your photo selection to attract that particular audience. Who cares if some guy on Yahoo found your profile was too "heavy" and unattractive? Are you trying to date him?

YES! Attract the right ones AND keep away the wrong ones. There are women who are attracted to your personality and some who aren’t. You don’t want those who aren’t. Dating people that will naturally clash is a bad idea. It's what wears out a lot of people on OLD. Selectivity is the key.

• Like 2