Thanks so much to everyone who has replied. I feel less paranoid, now, and know that I'm not going crazy.

To the poster who asked if I come across as not-likeable; no, I come across as friendly. I'm quiet, but not snotty or cold. I make everyone coffee, ask how everyone is doing, laugh and make jokes when the opportunity arises, and try to make things smooth giving my line of work. I'm never nasty and I try to be professional and kind all the time. I stay late when I can see I'm needed, and when I'm asked to come in on a day off, I do it.

I don't fit the female stereotype of the office; I don't wear loads of makeup and talk about clothes. I don't really go out partying because I did that when I was 18 and don't have the time or really care for it anymore. I'm living with a man I love, have a nice home, and am working on a Masters degree. No one has ever acted weirdly when I've said I don't go out all the time, although now I'm paranoid that they're all laughing at me for making a perfectly legitimate choice.

I was bullied badly in school and this feels the same. Like I'm being mocked for something I can't help or don't even know I'm doing.

At the age of 23 I thought those years were long gone.

So, I suppose I'll just go into work tomorrow and get on with it as though it hasn't happened. The sarcastic side of me wants to ask him if he would like 1 rohypnol with his coffee, or two, just to see the reaction....

I don't think sarcasm would solve this problem.

Avoiding it won't address the issue either.

Your boss did something inappropriate at your expense. Point it out to him and state clearly that it's inappropriate.

• 3 weeks later...
serial muse
Adult bullying is almost more hurtful than childhood bullying, too. It's not as though you think you might make a sudden change when you "grow up".

Another thing annoying me about this, is the day he's asked her to come in because I'm there, is a day I'm not even in. So he's assuming I'm available without even asking, when in fact I had plans to take my brother to a university open day.

This whole thing is so odd.

I have to ask...is there any chance at all that he wasn't referring to you? Do you have the same name as someone else in the office?

littleplanet

Imagine yourself in a James Bond movie.

Be creative.

That stylish upward curl of a right eyebrow upon reading what you read.

The slight curl of a smile along the lower lip.

Knowledge is power.

And you're quite all right.

Nothing whatsoever wrong with you.

You're in control.

File it all away, and consider future developments.....

that don't arrive.

Time passes.

People do silly things.

We shake it off like suit jacket shoulder dust.

Otherwise........we spend all our time in dry cleaners.

Life is too short. :D

• Like 1