Do you really think contacting your ex is going to help you? Guide for the long walk

No Foolin

Great post. This has really helped me get through a lot. However, throughout the whole 20 pages, I didn't see some issues addressed that I think are really important.

I am a man. I was the dumper. Men who dump get it the hardest from society, and this post is no different. However, I did it for the right reasons.

I realized that I was not mature enough to be in a long term relationship, and the problems in our relationship were caused mostly by this lack of maturity. Coming to terms with these feelings is as hard as being the dumpee. How difficult is it to think that maybe I missed The One because of something so stupid as "timing"? Later, when I am ready, she will most likely be with someone else, because she is beautiful, charming, and on the way up. And what about coming to terms with not being able to fully love, experience love? The emptiness is debilitating. I deleted her from my phone to respect her NC wishes, and now my phone is full of nothing but people I don't want to call. My job is already pointless, and the only pleasure I derived during the day was calling her on breaks.

I am free to bang any chick I want, and I don't even feel like putting in the effort. One girl even threw it at me last Saturday. I took a pass. I didn't give a ****.

I know that we were not supposed to be together, at least not right now. So I did the right thing. I am not sitting pining about it; I am doing the things to make myself a more mature man -- meeting new people, getting new experiences.

BUT!!!!

Contrary to what many may believe, the male dumper is not always an unemotional jerk looking to use 'er and lose 'er. At least not the males who are trying to become honest, good men.

• 3 weeks later...

22 days of NC and I swear it's a killer some days. I've had absolutely, and I mean absolutely NO desire to even blow wind in his direction.

The only thing I miss is the sound of his voice and his soft laugh. I don't hate him and never will - but I deserve better.

This is such a great thread. I really needed to read something like this, today. I went on a no-strings lunch date, yesterday. I told the guy just a little bit (because he knows me anyway) and he said:

"You deserve to have your needs met, you're not doing anything wrong by coming out with me, stop depriving yourself!"

It's going to get better. It's going to get better for ME!

22 days of NC and I swear it's a killer some days. I've had absolutely, and I mean absolutely NO desire to even blow wind in his direction.

The only thing I miss is the sound of his voice and his soft laugh. I don't hate him and never will - but I deserve better.

This is such a great thread. I really needed to read something like this, today. I went on a no-strings lunch date, yesterday. I told the guy just a little bit (because he knows me anyway) and he said:

"You deserve to have your needs met, you're not doing anything wrong by coming out with me, stop depriving yourself!"

It's going to get better. It's going to get better for ME!

Yeah - this is a great thread. Keep the dream alive!

Congrats Elena. Bust a move!

SF

Ahh...needed the reassurance lately. I CONTINUALLY read posts on never contacting the ex, especially if you have hope of a reconciliation(i'm not at the point yet to just picture her out of my life). Yet I still fight myself during the day on whether or not I should text. She's under tons of stress atm, for other issues not cause of me, and doesn't even need me bugging her. Just worsens any possible chance I have.

BAH! hate the silence but know it is necessary!

BAH! hate the silence but know it is necessary!

Embrace the silence...

It is so much better than the noise that will be going off in your head after you contact her...it very rarely goes the way you want it to go!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reading through this thread, and there is some crazy good info and advice in here. The thing that really struck a chord with me is that for the most part we are all lucky like NF says. I mean if I had stayed with my ex, sure I would have a sex partner back in my life but other than that she took me away from all that I loved and what meant the most to me. My social and family life suffered a lot when I was with her and I couldn't do the things that I loved to do, and to top it all off she posed a threat to my career aspirations too...just wasn't worth it. Sure it still hurts bad at times, but I know in my heart that I am so much better off without her.

Bump.

I think this is a helpful thread. Some (if not all) harsh truths to realize, but realize we must.

NoFoolin, I'm SO there with ya on this thread! It's the only way to cope when someone does this to someone else! F%#K em! Dangerous Liasons. ;)

There are some pieces of advice which hold true no matter what. This thread is one of them. I wrote about the difficulties a while ago of maintaining 'no contact' and jeez is it hard. It is bloody hard going. But... it works. Doesn't ever feel like it will be worth all the pain, but it is. I'm not through the woods by any means, but further than I was when I was struggling with NC. Thanks guys.