"I don't feel intimidated by you."

Someone said this to me the other day and it struck me as odd. To put it into context, this is a coworker I don't get along with very well. I find that she is extremely aggressive, to the point that she speaks overtop of me, starts arguments with me, tries to micromanage me even though she is not my boss, etc. I do the best that I can to keep her off my back while remaining civil with her.

I needed something from her one day so I waited beside her desk. Then I realized that it might be annoying to have someone watching you work so I made a joke about it. She responded with "Don't worry. I don't feel intimidated by you at all."

Ummm... okay? That's good to know?

How would you interpret this comment? I normally brush off most of her comments but this one struck me as significant in some way.

It's her being rude. She is implying that you are weak, pathetic etc and that she is strong and in control. I am afraid you waiting at her desk would not have done you any favours either as it suggests you are passive and submissive to her.

Stand up for yourself against this bully!

• Like 1
  • Author

Yes, I figured that she meant it as an insult, but I found it odd that she felt the urge to TELL me she thinks I'm weak? A truly strong and confident person would never say that to someone, even if they felt that way.

It seems odd that in all the years I've known her, she has said all sorts of rude things to me BUT she has never tried to call me "weak" before. I have recently run a race and I do long-distance biking, which she knows about. Lots of people give me compliments in front of her. I am more physically fit than her. Now, all of a sudden, this "you aren't intimidating" comment? Hmmm. Seems like an odd coincidence?

She tries very hard to dominate me. I feel as though I am constantly standing up for myself every time she speaks to me. In the past she has made other rude comments, like comparing me to a dog. I don't mean to sound egotistical or anything, but lots of people tell me that I'm pretty, so I find it odd that she would call me a dog. It doesn't make any sense.

Edited by SpiralOut
nofeelings22

In addition to what Anne says, it most likely means she +is+ intimidated by you.

That would explain the rest of her behavior.

• Like 1

You have hit the nail on the head. :)

A truly confident person would not behave this way. She is actually the one who is weak and insecure. As a result she tries to undermine others to make herself feel better, e.g. the dog comment. You have to not let her get to you because if she sees that then it helps feed her ego.

Everytime she says something about you, it says an awful lot more about her. :mad:

• Like 2
  • Author
In addition to what Anne says, it most likely means she +is+ intimidated by you.

That would explain the rest of her behavior.

Thank you. This is what I thought, but I wanted to hear what someone else thought just in case I was imagining things. I still have trouble believing that someone would be intimidated by me but I guess it does happen sometimes.

ETA: Oh right she also randomly mentioned that she doesn't consider herself to be a woman. Then she said that she doesn't think I am one either. WTF?? Lol. She wasn't even talking to me, she just said that about me in front of me. Wow. Lol. I just told her that I disagree.

Edited by SpiralOut