Progress report: quitting smoking

• Author

I'm still not smoking, but I'm slipping. I'm slipping back into the mindset of a smoker and feeling deprived when this should be the biggest celebration of my life.

Thanks again for writing. I will respond more later. Right now, I just feel like gasping and I am cantankerous and can't write anymore...

• Author

Wow! I'm proud for having made it through yesterday.

It was by far the worse day I've had so far.

I have no idea why, as I thought that the nicotine was to have left my system within 3 days and that the 3 days would've been the worst.

If it weren't for LS, I'd have caved a bought a pack.

I did kind of cave and bought some 1 mg nicotine mints.

I had 3 yesterday and none so far today.

When I had the first one yesterday (around 5 p.m.), I had heart palpitations about a minute after I popped it in my mouth. That was followed by a feeling of calm and extreme happiness, hope, and contentment.

Yesterday was soooo rough. I didn't know how I'd get though life without another smoke. I didn't know how I'd concentrate. I picked up the Allen Carr book again, but couldn't concentrate on that.

I didn't even really want a cigarette, I just wanted the misery to end.

I went to a movie last night to celebrate the fact that I didn't buy a pack. I saw "Under the Skin" with Scarlett Johansson and would highly recommend it. :)

While I was waiting for the bus I was standing between a smoker and an e-cigarette smoker. I had my Thrive mint.

@ Haydn I hope the nastiness clears out soon. I'm scared actually. When I take a deep breath, I still feel that my lungs are quite tight.

@ JDPT Sorry to hear that, but today is a new day. Why did you buy a pack? What symptoms or thoughts did you have?

@ bubbaganoosh Thanks! I actually looked up where to buy these in town. The pharmacy was closer to get the nicotine mints and I came perilously close to buying a pack of real smokes. If I didn't get the mints, then I would've bought the smokes. I'm concerned that if I bought an e-cigarette that I'll actually smoke again. But, yes, it is better than actually smoking because the tar and other chemicals are lacking. I'll definitely recommend it to a friend who can't quit. It's good to hear that your friend has made the switch. I'm sure it's made a big difference.

@ ASG The taste and the feeling of the "burn" was a big factor for me. So, I kept increasing the amount I smoked because the "burn" was harder to get. The one I miss the most now is the first one when waking up as that's really the only time I could get that feeling. The rest of the smokes were trying to get it but never quite getting there. So, it was a disappointing and frustrating pursuit costing me my health and my money. According to Carr, so-called casual smokers are still under the illusion that they enjoy it. Most heavy smokers don't have that illusion any more. We want out of this trap and curse the day we ever picked up our first one.

Edited by ja123
Wow! I'm proud for having made it through yesterday.

It was by far the worse day I've had so far.

I have no idea why, as I thought that the nicotine was to have left my system within 3 days and that the 3 days would've been the worst.

If it weren't for LS, I'd have caved a bought a pack.

I did kind of cave and bought some 1 mg nicotine mints.

I had 3 yesterday and none so far today.

When I had the first one yesterday (around 5 p.m.), I had heart palpitations about a minute after I popped it in my mouth. That was followed by a feeling of calm and extreme happiness, hope, and contentment.

Yesterday was soooo rough. I didn't know how I'd get though life without another smoke. I didn't know how I'd concentrate. I picked up the Allen Carr book again, but couldn't concentrate on that.

I didn't even really want a cigarette, I just wanted the misery to end.

I went to a movie last night to celebrate the fact that I didn't buy a pack. I saw "Under the Skin" with Scarlett Johansson and would highly recommend it. :)

While I was waiting for the bus I was standing between a smoker and an e-cigarette smoker. I had my Thrive mint.

@ Haydn I hope the nastiness clears out soon. I'm scared actually. When I take a deep breath, I still feel that my lungs are quite tight.

@ JDPT Sorry to hear that, but today is a new day. Why did you buy a pack? What symptoms or thoughts did you have?

@ bubbaganoosh Thanks! I actually looked up where to buy these in town. The pharmacy was closer to get the nicotine mints and I came perilously close to buying a pack of real smokes. If I didn't get the mints, then I would've bought the smokes. I'm concerned that if I bought an e-cigarette that I'll actually smoke again. But, yes, it is better than actually smoking because the tar and other chemicals are lacking. I'll definitely recommend it to a friend who can't quit. It's good to hear that your friend has made the switch. I'm sure it's made a big difference.

@ ASG The taste and the feeling of the "burn" was a big factor for me. So, I kept increasing the amount I smoked because the "burn" was harder to get. The one I miss the most now is the first one when waking up as that's really the only time I could get that feeling. The rest of the smokes were trying to get it but never quite getting there. So, it was a disappointing and frustrating pursuit costing me my health and my money. According to Carr, so-called casual smokers are still under the illusion that they enjoy it. Most heavy smokers don't have that illusion any more. We want out of this trap and curse the day we ever picked up our first one.

Having quit once, for almost 2 years, I can tell you it does get easier. I think it took me about 2 weeks to feel kinda normal though (but I still struggled with going out for a drink or drinking coffee and all the gateways for smoking).

But you think less about it as time goes on. It's not the nicotine necessarily the nicotine... that indeed leaves your system within 2 to 3 days. It's the ACTUAL cigarette! I bet you, if you had smoked a placebo cigarette, you'd have felt as good as you did after you started chewing the nicotine gum! (obviously not accounting for guilt! Lets assume you'd have none!)

• Like 1
  • Author

I hope feel normal in 2 weeks. That's another week and a day. Fingers crossed.

I only had 1 nicotine mint so far today. :)

• Like 3

Good to hear you haven't smoked ja123!

I quit again on Sunday night.

Just coming up to 48 hours cold turkey with no nicotine.

I haven't had any terribly bad moments yet.

Had such a great night's sleep last night too - it really does make a difference!

• Like 3

I guess it depends what you are giving up for Ja? Although, everyone should give up if they can (JDPT!). For me it was my daughter and the more important fact my 5 aside footy skills were suffering. My lungs felt like a cheese grater. (Which you should only use to grate cheese or give to a blind person and tell them it`s a really violent book).

But glad it is all going well.

• Like 2
bubbaganoosh

Don't forget to set up your money jar! When you see that jar filling up, it will give you a big incentive.

I didn't touch mine for a year and used the money for part of my down payment on a new pick up truck. Drove off the dealership lot with a smile on my face and a new truck!

• Like 2
  • Author

Today, I really felt fiercely angry. There were spikes of anger and inexplicable rage. I managed to step back and calm myself down. I just had a nap, too, after having popped 1/2 an Ativan.

While out, there was a woman I've seen a lot in my area. She was smoking. I came very close to asking her for a cigarette, but I didn't. I'm soooo proud that I didn't. I knew that I would come here and post about it, and then I felt I might just throw in the towel altogether.

My lungs are still hurting. But now, I've started to cough up clear mucous with flecks of brown. I guess that's the tar. Just seeing that is another major reason for me to not pick up another cigarette.

I only had 2 nicotine mints, so far.

@ Gemma yay!!! I'm so glad to hear you've quit again. You can do it! Hallelujah that you're not having a bad time of it! Hooray for you! Keep me posted! It helps to know someone else is quitting, too!

@ Haydn Yes, I can see how your daughter would be a big motivator!!! I want to have a shot at living a healthy life and turning things around. The fear of what I've been doing to myself is a motivator for sure. It's scary to have cheese grater lungs.

@ bubbaganoosh The money jar is a great idea! Cool that you got your truck! I'd love to take a trip or buy a classic car!! :)

• Author

Phew .... mood-wise, I am doing very well!!!! :)

I am feeling like a non-smoker now!!!

However, the pain in my lungs still persists on-and-off. For this reason, I feel ever so sad that I smoked at all in my life. What folly!

Anyhow, I m still focusing on cleansing my face with those fancy cleaners! This feels reaaaallly good! And I'm already seeing improvements in my skin.

Yay!

• Like 1
  • Author

It's getting easier!!!

I only had one mint today.

AND ... I have a new lover!!! Yes, I bought a guitar!!! :love:

• Like 2
Always Pondering

Good job on the progress so far and not falling into cigarettes. :laugh:

I believe I read this somewhere online too once but like ASG's experience, it takes around two weeks of straying away from an addiction to feel a real good difference. I'm not sure if that's right but if it is, you're almost there to a much easier path!

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks for the encouragement!

I figure that I'll keep posting here, if only briefly, for 21 days just to keep me honest.

There are certain triggers for wanting one: morning cup of coffee or after sex, but the more I continue on smoke-free the less the desire arises.

Good job on the progress so far and not falling into cigarettes. :laugh:

I believe I read this somewhere online too once but like ASG's experience, it takes around two weeks of straying away from an addiction to feel a real good difference. I'm not sure if that's right but if it is, you're almost there to a much easier path!

Sunny_cloud

Oh my god.. I need to quit smoking as well. Ever since my past break up I became sort of a chimney. So cigarettes now are my "on and off, love and hate relationship" :mad:

Stupid silly me always thought that one day I will meet someone who is special enough and will make me want to quit smoking. And what used to happen? I dated non smokers, who eventually became smokers because of me.. :confused:

I will follow this thread. Need to find motivation to quit.

Haha.. Once a fortune teller told me, the only way I will find my future husband is if I quit smoking :D I guess it could be motivational.

Oh those cigarettes.. :mad: haha..

• Like 2
  • Author

@ Sunny Cloud You can do it!!!! I was up to 2 packs a day last fall. I cut down to one pack, and now I'm off. You've nothing to lose by giving it a shot!!! Gemma recommended the whyquit website. Allen Carr's book really helped me.

I guess in recent times my couple of dates with non-smokers helped, as I pretended I was a non-smoker and actually was able to go several hours without a puff.

It gets easier and easier ... so it's so worth doing!

Just imagine your life free from slavery. Just imagine the better health that awaits you.

Imagine the extra time you'll have because you won't spend it smoking or wondering when you're next cigarette will be. For me, it was an amazing revelation to realize that my whole life revolved around the cigarette. Like it was my everything. An interface between me and life. My protector, my relaxer, my friend ... what a crock of sh*t. It's a sinister trap!

There is life, freedom, peace, and happiness on the other side!!!

You can do it, too!!! :)

Sunny_cloud

I will check the website that you suggested. I noticed that being active makes you smoke less. So I joined mountain hiking group. It actually does help, while hiking I never want a single cigarette.. I guess the heights and snow scare me to extent that all I can focus is on surviving than any addictions.. :confused:

I even signed to play saxophone.. Assuming that this would help me with my breathing and.. While blowing an instrument you would not want to smoke.. Oh dear... Haha.. :)

My dates used to be like.. Meet up a non smoker.. Engage in conversation for an hour, then say that it was a stressful day at work and when stressed I smoke. But I am 'definitely' quitting.. So I remain a quitter for that first date. But with more dates start smoking more. Than my date wants to try smoking.. And here we go - I am once again a bad influence :confused:

I guess as now it is a peaceful period with 'no stress' at work and no dates, I will start trying again to quit. Will try to do without a cigarette until next Thursday.

Need to start looking for a mountain and engage in hours of sax playing. Yay :bunny::D

P.s. This thread is definitely useful! Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Author

Today was a tough day.

I felt kind of sick and the only thing I could think of to make me feel better was a cigarette. Crazy, right?

But, I didn't do it. I knew I'd have to come here and post about it.

I knew I would feel terribly ashamed of myself, and that hopelessness would set in. The last thing I want to do is to doubt my strength about being able to not only quit smoking, but accomplish other things in life.

Always Pondering

It's still really good that you didn't give in though! You're making progress!

Just remind yourself every time you have the temptation, about the guilt you'd have, the health problems, the MONEY you lose, your friends and family, your bad breath, and all those other things! I understand how hard it is to quit an addiction, so just not giving in is a huge feat in itself.

• Like 1
  • Author

Hey, it's been 2 weeks since I've been a non-smoker!!! :)

Just think, in another 2 weeks, it'll be a month!

@ Always Pondering - Oh yes, if I didn't think of all the negatives, in particular the guilt, shame, self-digest, and fear of never escaping this trap, then I'd have caved by now.

@ JDPT - Have you read the Allen Carr book, or checked out the whyquit site? The Carr book really helped me. But, in all honesty, I am not entirely cold-turkey because after 4-5 days in I started using a few nicotine mints here and there. I guess I'll have to add to the thread when I wean myself off of them.

I also started a diet today, so I'll start another thread on that.

Thanks again for your support everyone!!! :)

If I wasn't posting on LS, I'd have caved ...

• Like 1
  • Author

I'm still a non-smoker!!! Yay!!!

Playing guitar is also helping. You gotta do other things that make you happy!!!

• Like 1

knock out some Moz on the old guitar. Well done Ja.

=ja123;5750016]I'm still a non-smoker!!! Yay!!!

Playing guitar is also helping. You gotta do other things that make you happy!!!

• Like 1
  • Author

Yes!!

I'm still a non-smoker!

Actually being on a diet has seemed to have reduced cravings. Or perhaps it's just because the cravings are less and less just by themselves.