Photofinish

Hello everyone

Im pretty out of shape. Im not fat but have a gut. Im addicted to soda! I drink about a can a day or more. I cant seem to get off the stuff. I feel this thirst when I dont have it . Im worried for my health. Any advice? I would love to just stop drinking it but cant.

Speakingofwhich

any particular type of soda? i have a reason for asking before i tell you how i solved my soda issue

• Like 1
  • Author
Photofinish
any particular type of soda? i have a reason for asking before i tell you how i solved my soda issue

Usually black soda like coke, doctor pepper, pepsi @_@ . I love those .

OK, here is the plan, you can drink all the soda you want. However, 1st soda you drink from now on you will need to do 3 sets of push-up's.

We'll make it easy to start. Next soda you drink do 3 sets x 5 reps. Add 1 rep for each soda after that. So, second soda, you'll be doing 3 sets by 6 reps. Soda after that, you'll need to do 3 sets x 7 reps.

If you go a day without soda, you can start over with 3 sets x 5 reps.

Try finding an alternative.

I gave up pop a long time ago but have recently started drinking zevia. The regular coke/Pepsi flavour just tastes like diet.

Compared to regular pop it's a lot better. I don't feel bad about drinking it, but that being said I only have 1 or 2 a week.

• Like 1
Stop buying it.

Awful advice :p

Pop is awesome!

1 can a day ain't bad, i'm usually well over that :o

• Like 2
  • Author
Photofinish
OK, here is the plan, you can drink all the soda you want. However, 1st soda you drink from now on you will need to do 3 sets of push-up's.

We'll make it easy to start. Next soda you drink do 3 sets x 5 reps. Add 1 rep for each soda after that. So, second soda, you'll be doing 3 sets by 6 reps. Soda after that, you'll need to do 3 sets x 7 reps.

If you go a day without soda, you can start over with 3 sets x 5 reps.

I cant even do one push up lol. I have tried going to the gym but im so out of shape I cant even use the machines even though they have no weights on them.

amaysngrace
Awful advice :p

If he can't stop drinking it he should try to stop buying it is what I meant

I thought it was very good advice :mad:

• Like 3
  • Author
Photofinish
Try finding an alternative.

I gave up pop a long time ago but have recently started drinking zevia. The regular coke/Pepsi flavour just tastes like diet.

Compared to regular pop it's a lot better. I don't feel bad about drinking it, but that being said I only have 1 or 2 a week.

I'll try a Snapple juice or something but that has as much sugar as a soda!

Maybe I should try a regular juice drink but those are hard to come by when on the streets.

Poppyolive

Cola is my hangover treat. But I try not to have it more than twice a month. Here's what I think every time you have a can water and any other drink tastes garbage and unsatisfying... So its addictive that's why you are having a hard time cutting it out it's really not good for you at all!! I think you should go cold turkey, treat yourself to sparkling water with fresh fruit or squeezed lemons...delicious and refreshing. Much healthier

You can develop a mild addiction to sugar and caffeine which will give you cravings if you stop having your daily fix. I know if I drink a lot of caffeine for a few days in a row then stop I get a nasty headache.

I usually detox with some kind of crystal light drink for a few days then I'm back to regular old water. After a while you don't get the cravings anymore.

• Like 3
Mr Scorpio

I have tried going to the gym but im so out of shape I cant even use the machines even though they have no weights on them.

Unless you are missing limbs or have a serious medical condition, you can use the machines. Anything to the contrary is simply untrue.

• Like 2

Seriously.. Amay is right. Stop buying it.

Don't buy it for your home. Don't take money when you go out. Drink some water.

• Like 5
If he can't stop drinking it he should try to stop buying it is what I meant

I thought it was very good advice :mad:

But if he can't stop drinking it he's forced to buy, unless he steals it!

I drink pop more then once a day and I'm healthy as a horse :p

somedude81

Try some flavored sparkling water.

Maybe you'll find one you like. It's a hell of a lot healthier than soda.

• Like 2
You can develop a mild addiction to sugar and caffeine which will give you cravings if you stop having your daily fix. I know if I drink a lot of caffeine for a few days in a row then stop I get a nasty headache.

I usually detox with some kind of crystal light drink for a few days then I'm back to regular old water. After a while you don't get the cravings anymore.

I never found they stopped. I gave up pop for 3 weeks and still craved it. Not as bad when you abstain for that long, but still there. I guess it depends on the person but slowly cutting back is a good option to.

Even though pop is amazing :love:

• Like 1

OP, let's break it down a bit *rap battle ensues*

Do you like the sugar component of the soda? Perhaps going diet or Splenda might be a healthier alternative?

Or is it the carbonation that you're after? You could always consider tonic water or making your own soda at home.

• Like 1
I cant even do one push up lol. I have tried going to the gym but im so out of shape I cant even use the machines even though they have no weights on them.

Not to be mean but you have bigger problems to worry about than 1 can of soda a day. Why not tackle the rest of your lifestyle first? I never drink soda (it tastes nasty to me) but I know plenty of people who drink 1-2 cans a day and are perfectly healthy. If you are worried about the calories you can always drink diet until you lose weight.

• Like 1
Speakingofwhich

I quit my cola habit by substituting ginger ale (not as preferable as colas to me but still had the carbonation and a flavor), then went to unflavored sparkling water. Then to plain water. Over a period of months. Was easier for me that way but you may be able to do it quickly, idk.

• Like 2
  • Author
Photofinish

Thanks for the advice everyone(im a girl though)

Im just going to try and stop drinking it. Lets see how far that gets me :p. I want to try harder at the gym but I always leave about 15 mins in. maybe I can start slow..

• Like 2
King Bowls
Hello everyone

Im pretty out of shape. Im not fat but have a gut. Im addicted to soda! I drink about a can a day or more. I cant seem to get off the stuff. I feel this thirst when I dont have it . Im worried for my health. Any advice? I would love to just stop drinking it but cant.

Stop buying them, and start drinking diet Lipton green teas, and get used to a sugar free drink like that. That's what I did, with that, I have not had a soda drink since April 2009 (cannot remember the exact day)

• Like 2
pink_sugar
Hello everyone

A soda a day can lead up to about 8-10 extra pounds after a year. If you can find a way to kick the soda, you will certainly lose the gait around your stomach. This happened to my husband too. He had this "but it's only one a day" mentality. Unfortunately, that one soda a day drastically increases your chances of diabetes and other diseases, not to mention that it has more than a day's worth of sugar in that one can/bottle alone. Since sugar turns into fat, try looking for some natural soda alternatives to satisfy that craving. Whole Foods and Trader Joes have Stevia based sodas that are very close in taste to regular sodas. I don't recommend diet sodas as those can be just as bad or worse than regular soda with all the artificial sweeteners and junk in them. Try some of the Stevia based sodas and start gradually reducing your intake...once a day to once every 2 days to once a week and etc. Ultimately, I would try not to have soda more than once a week or a few times a month at most.

Flavored teas are also great. In know Celestial Seasonings Bengal spice has all kinds of natural flavors and it's calorie and sugar free.

Edited by pink_sugar
  • Like 3