Was I in the wrong at work?

So I'm still at this job, things blew over and she no longer asks me to do her work for her. I know for a fact she bitches behind my back but I don't really care to be honest.

She's started dobbing on tiny little errors she can possibly find. She always writes and email and CCs my boss so he knows what irrelevant insignificant error I've made. it's only happened a few times but today I overheard her telling one of the girls to send me an email about an error that was picked up from my first week (in feb) and to cc the boss so hopefully he will fire me. the email was very blunt and told me to just fix it, which takes about 10 seconds.

I walked away and laughed to myself because I know he won't fire me and is over the drama. I bit back however because I always find little mistakes she makes but I just fix them quietly because it doesn't take long. After that email was sent to me I found two errors on her behalf so I took a screen shot and sent her an email and ccd my boss pointing it out and for her to fix it. she replied with "it would of taken you less time to fix it yourself rather than write this email"

OMG what a hypocrite. I can't wait for my student allowance to be approved so I can leave this job!

Yes, yes you are a hypocrite. I was feeling bad for you and thinking you handled everything fine until I read this posts of yours.

You have the gall to say, "She always writes and email and CCs my boss so he knows what irrelevant insignificant error I've made" That is immature and unprofessional IMO. Then you go and do the same exact thing in retaliation!

It's very rare to have a job where everyone gets along. If only companies could have employees like some tv shows where they all consider each other family. But it doesn't work like that in RL. You have to learn to get along with everyone or at least fake it.

• Like 1
  • Author
Yes, yes you are a hypocrite. I was feeling bad for you and thinking you handled everything fine until I read this posts of yours.

You have the gall to say, "She always writes and email and CCs my boss so he knows what irrelevant insignificant error I've made" That is immature and unprofessional IMO. Then you go and do the same exact thing in retaliation!

It's very rare to have a job where everyone gets along. If only companies could have employees like some tv shows where they all consider each other family. But it doesn't work like that in RL. You have to learn to get along with everyone or at least fake it.

Yeah I agree I am just as bad for retaliating and two wrongs don't make a right. However I have been putting up with this for a while now and kept my head down and I snapped, I don't have the best patience. There is no use in telling my boss about it because she has him wrapped around her finger for some reason. This woman is also in her 30s and is pregnant, you think she would be more mature and have something better to do with her time (besides having extended lunch breaks pretty much every friday while my boss isn't there) than trying to get a 22 year old girl who has done nothing to her originally fired.

She is a workplace bully, constantly treats the receptionist who is my only friend there like dirt! Made her walk down the street in the rain when she was on crutches to get her a coffee and one week I went to help her with the coffee run and got told I wasn't allowed to! There are loads of other examples which proves how horrible she is but that would take too long to write.

My last job I worked fulltime at for 3 years was like a family to me funnily enough. I loved it there and it was hard for me to leave :(

Edited by Conners

Yikes! She does sound nasty.

Made her walk down the street in the rain when she was on crutches to get her a coffee and one week I went to help her with the coffee run and got told I wasn't allowed to!

Is she is some position of authority to order the receptionist around like that? That is unbelievably low to do that to her while on crutches. This woman sounds completely void of any conscience.

I understand losing it and snapping. I did that with a co-worker a couple years ago. It was a huge blow up where she totally overreacted. It made our working atmosphere horrible after that. She's transferred out now thank goodness.

Well at least you know this isn't permanent and you get to leave. Hang in there until then and just try and keep your cool and come across as the level headed one.

I wish you well.

I definitely will not be apologising to her. And what you told me to say is basically what I told her and when she said I had attitude I did call her out on the long lunch. She's the one being rude and lazy by expecting me to answer phones (by the way it is not my duty, I am helping out and doing them a favour) while I had tonsillitis!? So I'll pass on your advice. ;)

I think you rock! You are not in the wrong at all, and I feel like I could take a lesson from you in sticking up for myself at work. So many times, in the name of being "polite," I have put up with crap from people far less qualified or smart than me...and precisely because I viewed them as less qualified and smart, I took extra care to be polite lest my underlying opinion of them and the whole corporate hierarchy in general reveal itself.

So, kudos to you, and thanks for the lesson :-)

• Like 1
  • Author
I think you rock! You are not in the wrong at all, and I feel like I could take a lesson from you in sticking up for myself at work. So many times, in the name of being "polite," I have put up with crap from people far less qualified or smart than me...and precisely because I viewed them as less qualified and smart, I took extra care to be polite lest my underlying opinion of them and the whole corporate hierarchy in general reveal itself.

So, kudos to you, and thanks for the lesson :-)

Thankyou haha. I only stood up for myself because I don't really care about this job too much, I have another job aswell and will be getting student allowance soon.

In my past two full time jobs (mainly my first one) I've bit my lip so many times and put up with so much crap because I didn't want to be fired. I think this is the reason many of us tolerate a-holes.