Christians: What does it mean to be saved?

That is what I was getting at M3. Some churches (or individuals) have very specific interpretations about what the works are and how they should be executed. I would not say that the "what" is without merit BUT the "only one right way" message that comes across sometimes is what can feel burdensome and result in some of the questions OpenBook had. Now of course that may not be the case for OpenBook but I have certainly have seen it and experienced it.

Okay, then I agree. We should then phrase the question as, "What exactly ARE works?"

My answer would be anything inspired by the Holy Spirit which advances the kingdom of heaven. However, right there I just set a trap for myself because Scripture says God, not man, advances his own kingdom. So this is why it's necessary that works be done THROUGH man by God, not originating from man's efforts or inspiration. Worthless works (ie, "filthy rags") originate from man's natural self, but fruits originate not from within man but God.

TheFinalWord
TFW, I guess we were typing at the same time. Your response conveys much of what I was thinking, but it's way more compassionate. A weakness I need to work on.

You are doing so good! :)

You provide really good comparisons between biblical scenarios and practical application. One of my pastor's had a gift for that. One month we spent the whole sermon on the details of the battles of Israel. He showed how the details of those battles give powerful insights into modern spiritual warfare (Spiritual warfare was enacted physically by Israel in the Old Testament). I think you should keep cultivating your gift. It can be hard to make those connections for a lot of people, but it seems to come easy for you! :bunny:

• Like 1
  • Author

I thank you all for your valuable input. I'm still confused and my questions remain unanswered. But I keep sensing a message from God (well at least I hope it's Him!!) saying, "Look at Me. Focus on Me. Trust in Me. I am the Lord your God." (even got an image of two fingers pointing back & forth between my eyes and His :laugh:) So that's what I'm going to do. There's a good reason why He hasn't seen fit to reveal to me the answers I seek. It's time for me to have a little faith, and rest in Him.

Thanks again. Wish me luck!

TheFinalWord
Saved from what? Eternal death? Perish (i.e., cease to exist?)

Saved TO what? Eternal life? Is that eternal life guaranteed to take place in heaven?

I think it is great you are searching!

Basically, God saves us from ourselves :)

On one hand, we know salvation is receiving the free gift of God to save us from our sins. We receive salvation through faith. On the other, some parts are a mystery b/c our human minds cannot fully comprehend what God has in store.

No eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him

The bible does not teach that our spirits are annihilated upon death; once we die, we either live in eternal separation from God or eternal connection with God. It's our choice.

Salvation is God saving us from eternal separation from Him.

Who cares about that? Well, that is where the spiritual component comes in. When we are living in sin, we don't really know what we are missing. Unfortunately, those that reject God will realize some day. Right now, whether it is accepted or not, God bestows his goodness on all mankind.

But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust

Imagine you are sleeping in a dark room. Someone comes in and turns on the lights, which are extremely bright. All you want that person to do is turn off the light so you can go back to the dark and stay in a state of slumber. Similarly, our natural mind recoils when our sin is exposed.

"This is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed"

The person living in sin is fixed on the things of this world. The spiritual world is foreign to them, and the cross foolishness.

The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

...and

For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

When God saves us, He removes the blinders. As the famous song, amazing grace says, I was blind but now I see.When you ask about eternal death, the bible states that one day, God will remove his grace to those that want no part of him. The bible tells us is will be a time of great mourning and weeping to those that refused God's Son.

I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven,while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth

• Like 1
angel.eyes
I thank you all for your valuable input. I'm still confused and my questions remain unanswered. But I keep sensing a message from God (well at least I hope it's Him!!) saying, "Look at Me. Focus on Me. Trust in Me. I am the Lord your God." (even got an image of two fingers pointing back & forth between my eyes and His :laugh:) So that's what I'm going to do. There's a good reason why He hasn't seen fit to reveal to me the answers I seek. It's time for me to have a little faith, and rest in Him.

Thanks again. Wish me luck!

Sounds like you're listening to what He's trying to tell you.:) Always a great choice. Just pray, trust in Him, and have faith that He will reveal what He in His infinite wisdom feels you need to see and understand over time.

A few more verses for the journey::)

Ephesians 1:6-7

to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.

In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace

Romans 2:4

Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

Romans 11:29, 33

For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.

Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and His ways past finding out!

Peace!