Would you change your bank cards to Dr?

I would find it ridiculously arrogant if someone were to do that on a non-career-related card or form. I know a medical doctor who does that. He doesn't have many friends, and his colleagues can't stand him. :laugh: My guy has never changed anything of his, and generally doesn't mention his occupation unless asked. SO much more attractive.

• Like 1

It's so true society places way to much importance on titles. One if my neighbor's wives has treated me badly since day 1, eye rolling, not saying good morning ever etc...when she saw I was friendly with my other neighbor DR. she all of a sudden after three years makes every effort to greet me. I guess DR. by association is good too. While we are on the subject, I never address him as DR either. He puts his pants on one leg at a time too.

If you completed a PhD? My friend has done it but I feel it's a bit of a douchey move. He says it impresses women.

The only reason to do it (besides showing off) is to increase your chances of being upgraded to an airline business class...as far as I see anyway.

Yes or no?

Did you just get fired?

• Author
Eternal Sunshine
Did you just get fired?

No...I am still working at my current job but am moving to another city to start a new job next week. I was never fired.

Would you change your bank cards to Dr?

I wouldn't, regardless of profession, change my name from that on my birth certificate except where it is required legally.

I do recall, when the internet was young and the then-new commercial sites invited people to add such information, adding the prefix 'reverend' to my name as a joke. I still laugh when getting those 'reverend carhill' auto e-mails all these years later. In real life, no way.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
If you completed a PhD? My friend has done it but I feel it's a bit of a douchey move. He says it impresses women.

The only reason to do it (besides showing off) is to increase your chances of being upgraded to an airline business class...as far as I see anyway.

Yes or no?

Don't.

My dad has a Phd and all through my life I found that 'Dr.' so annoying. I hated when my dad was frequently mistaken for a real doctor and how he would get angry after (he saw doctors as beneath him because he earned more as a banker). My mom said that the anger stemmed from annoyance — this could soon be you.

However that being said, growing up we flew overseas every 2-3 months and got the upgrade every other time within the US and every 3 times outside the US. Bittersweet.

Edited by Baller25
  • Like 1

Cruising around Academic forums, I've found that most people tend to avoid using Dr. unless around their own kind or other people with doctorates. Under those circumstances, individuals without Dr. titles would stick out as a sore thumb like in the Big Bang Theory. For any other situation? They typically don't use it.

Well, if you wish to use you title, whether it is to be a show off or not, I believe one should do so in the most honest fashion. I give a few examples. In the of OP friend using "Dr." on bank cards or checks when the actual degree is a Ph.D. could be misleading. A title presented in this way suggest that you are in the medical field - and most people could assume that.

I know this for a fact! When I received my Ph.D. In 1992, the first thing I did was go straight to the bank and get "Dr. Yasuandio" printed on my checks. All us grad had been looking forward to that. It is a stupid right of passage you though after being a low life pee-on during your education to get this degree. And me and my crew, we were just dying for our first chance to correct someone! Oh, man, that is the sweetest moment - especially if it is a jerk, and you have a little audience! (remember, this is 20 years ago). Haha!

"Excuse me, it's not Ms. Yasuandio, it is Dr. Yasuandio."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahhaha! Take that! Those were the days!

Once it is on your checks, and cards, it starts to become annoying. Perhaps people might even ask you, "What kind of a doctor are you?" That would not be an uncommon question from a chair or clerk that is impressed with your credential. What to you say then, when you standing there with your bank card or check? Possible conversation:

Dr.: Oh, I'm not a medical doctor.

Clerk: what kind of Doctor are you?

Dr.: Well, I am a doctor of philosophy.

Clerk: never heard of that. What is a doctor of philosophy?

Oh, what tangled web, just to impress people. It is a lot easier to just say you are a brain surgeon.

Lesson: if you have to put you title, make it accurate - not fuzzy. Put a comma after your name, and insert the correct degree: Yasuandio, Ph.D.

---------------------

Another real life situation happened at my first and second job in a University. You have a name plate put on your door, of course. By that time, I used what I should be using, my name, followed by Ph.D. That is appropriate for your office door at the university. But - I was naive for awhile. Many in my department had the old "Dr." name rather than degree. I heard through the grapevine some folks were pist off about my name tag on door. Then, someone explained to me. The "Drs." did not possess a Ph.D., rather they had earned an "Ed.D.". So by displaying my "Ph.D." - I was viewed as a polically not correct young Turk - and therefore, made enimies without even knowing it.

Lesson: sometimes you need to present yourself as a "Dr." - it's ok, I guess, cause they call you that at the University. I was always dumb with politics.

-----------------

Anyway, as of these days, I have Ph.D. On professional work, and banking or anywhere I want to be taken dead serious. Everywhere else, blank, only my plain name - cause I like to see if someone is going try to treat me like a dumb shyt, and I lay low, and wait. I learn a lot about people I encounter that with that method.

Those are my true life experiences and thoughts on this topic. Yas

PS. Have you ever some idiots overdo - and put Dr. & Ph.D.? Haha.

Edited by Yasuandio
nescafe1982

Whoa, you can put "Dr." on your bank card?

...awesome!

I don't think it matters one iota, honestly. I would only judge someone if they were (as Keenly said) the type to correct people who call them Mister. But then, that's about attitude, not a bank card.

nescafe1982

LOL Totally.

Even worse. You ever seen anyone do "Firstname Lastname, A.B.D."?

I've seen that too. And I want to bitch slap those people in particular.

LOL Totally.

Almost... almost... not quite there yet... *groans*.

Couldn't do the dissertation and proud of it!

LOL Totally.

Actually, it just occured to me that everyone can put anything they want on their cards. I didn't have to show my diploma when I changed my checks and when I've filled out my applications for credit cards, etc. What's stopping me from putting "Yasuandio, M.D.". I can always say I'm a psychiatrist, I know all about the field. I have been seeing psychiatrists, psychologists, and therapists all my life. And I do have bi-polar dis-order.

I like that. "Yasuandio, Doctor of Psychiatry." Maybe I get business cards printed, list myself in Yellow Pages, and hang out a shingle. I have a Corbussier lounger, and I could make an office that looks as nice as Hannibel's (maybe not as large), and being an artist is a big PLUS! Bahahahaha! You see... Anyone can do anything they want. I never showed a diploma to get my checks printed, or to choose a name on my credit card or bank cards.

When you earn a real Ph.D. (a whole nother discussion), it totally messes with your mind, and you will never be the same again. I cannot even work my seat belt. So you got to forgive us poor "Medical Doctor Pretendtobees" that earn somestimes starting less than 30g - and maxing at 45g at a University with our terminal degrees. Showing off our check cards at the grocery store is about the only ego boost we get.

Edited by Yasuandio
kiss_andmakeup
NO ! Dated two MD's and was most impressed that they DIDN'T use their titles when making reservations and such.

I feel the same way. FI is a MD and he doesn't put it on anything outside of his work documents & cards. I asked him if he wanted "Dr." before his name on our wedding invitations and was so relieved when he said no!

Humility is attractive.

• Like 1

Society would be better off if we all used titles more. But helpful ones that actually capture each person's true nature, not irrelevant academic ones that people can't do anything with.

• Like 1
  • Author
Eternal Sunshine
Well, if you wish to use you title, whether it is to be a show off or not, I believe one should do so in the most honest fashion. I give a few examples. In the of OP friend using "Dr." on bank cards or checks when the actual degree is a Ph.D. could be misleading. A title presented in this way suggest that you are in the medical field - and most people could assume that.

I know this for a fact! When I received my Ph.D. In 1992, the first thing I did was go straight to the bank and get "Dr. Yasuandio" printed on my checks. All us grad had been looking forward to that. It is a stupid right of passage you though after being a low life pee-on during your education to get this degree. And me and my crew, we were just dying for our first chance to correct someone! Oh, man, that is the sweetest moment - especially if it is a jerk, and you have a little audience! (remember, this is 20 years ago). Haha!

"Excuse me, it's not Ms. Yasuandio, it is Dr. Yasuandio."

Hahahahahahahahahahahahhaha! Take that! Those were the days!

Once it is on your checks, and cards, it starts to become annoying. Perhaps people might even ask you, "What kind of a doctor are you?" That would not be an uncommon question from a chair or clerk that is impressed with your credential. What to you say then, when you standing there with your bank card or check? Possible conversation:

Dr.: Oh, I'm not a medical doctor.

Clerk: what kind of Doctor are you?

Dr.: Well, I am a doctor of philosophy.

Clerk: never heard of that. What is a doctor of philosophy?

Oh, what tangled web, just to impress people. It is a lot easier to just say you are a brain surgeon.

Lesson: if you have to put you title, make it accurate - not fuzzy. Put a comma after your name, and insert the correct degree: Yasuandio, Ph.D.

---------------------

Another real life situation happened at my first and second job in a University. You have a name plate put on your door, of course. By that time, I used what I should be using, my name, followed by Ph.D. That is appropriate for your office door at the university. But - I was naive for awhile. Many in my department had the old "Dr." name rather than degree. I heard through the grapevine some folks were pist off about my name tag on door. Then, someone explained to me. The "Drs." did not possess a Ph.D., rather they had earned an "Ed.D.". So by displaying my "Ph.D." - I was viewed as a polically not correct young Turk - and therefore, made enimies without even knowing it.

Lesson: sometimes you need to present yourself as a "Dr." - it's ok, I guess, cause they call you that at the University. I was always dumb with politics.

-----------------

Anyway, as of these days, I have Ph.D. On professional work, and banking or anywhere I want to be taken dead serious. Everywhere else, blank, only my plain name - cause I like to see if someone is going try to treat me like a dumb shyt, and I lay low, and wait. I learn a lot about people I encounter that with that method.

Those are my true life experiences and thoughts on this topic. Yas

This post convinced me :p