What length of skirt is appropriate?

VeronicaRoss

Ugh. Just above the knee still hikes up a lot sitting down. Until you get the hang of the place and know what's the norm I'd wear slacks :)

Nothing more than 4 inches from the waist and with some knee high boots :cool:

Warning: My advise may come with a future meeting from HR

Agree with those who say go conservative on first day. Trousers or skirt beneath the knees, then assess what everyone else is wearing.

My office is also casual, but what you have to consider is that even if slutwear is okay with the male boss, people will be talking behind your back. Some industries, it's okay, like entertainment, but not most places. It just gives you a little more chance of having everyone's respect if you dress nice and modern, but not like you're going out at night. IMO, leggings and short skirt are too much for the office. I think it's fine to wear skirts slightly above the knee a couple inches with or without tights as long as you're not also showing cleavage. Seriously, cleavage has no place in the workplace. You know what they say: Dress for the job you want, not the one you have.

Always loved that statement , dress for the job you want. My boss would fire me on the spot if i showed up in my beach garb! Yes the job i want is to be on a nice tropical island.... Doing absolutely nothing to make someone else richer?

Now to answer on the inquiry of skirt length. One inch below your hands positioned at sides. That is highest it can go . You can have longer bohemian skirts to 3/4 quarter length as well. Veer from wiggle skirts. Same too with the tube skirt.....

• Like 2

you don't want to look sexy at all, you never know whose toes you might tread on if you look like competition, I think a mini gets men interested

I want to leave a good first impression at my new job and don't want to dress slutty. At my current work place, the dress code is pretty relaxed and pretty much anything goes. I often wore really short skirts, black leggings and boots....

There is no dress code at my new work place, but I still want to make more of an effort. Should a skirt be at least up to the knee level? If it helps, it's a large research institute so not a university and I won't be doing any teaching, just 100% research.

Though short skirts, black leggings and boots are very sexy and hot, not for work, not if you want to make a good impression. I'd say knee level or less and try not to show any cleavage for a while.

Ex gf loved to wear short skirts to work, where I could see her panties when seated, not porfessional at all IMHO.

We can wear whatever we want at my job, too. I'm in management so I chose to still dress business casual. Nice Khakis and a button down shirt, pressed. I won't wear my tight jeans or form fitting shirts, like I do on the weekends. Doesn't feel appropriate. My team wears jeans and t-shirts though.

I was kind of talking about this Saturday night with my good female friend, who is petitie and a little chesty. She said she tries not to show cleavage at work, but some of her outfits do show a bit, and, if she feels inappropriate she will wear a jacket or sweater overtop and once in her office, door closed, take it off. She came directly from work when I met her out Friday night, and her breasts were definitely "popping" but she had a blazer on.

Edited by Babolat

Meh the guys in the office asked me to wear short skirts so I do that. Including senior management.

I have never had less respect or people talking about me due to the way I dress. And it includes mini skirts and cleavagy tops (though not usually at the same time!)

I do, however, work in the entertainment industry, so things are possibly more casual than other industries...

It was also not uncommon to be wearing a bikini under my clothes in the summer...