would you date someone who lives a paleo lifestyle?

note: I'm not trying to start a debate about if paleo/low carb is healthy or not.

this is something that's pretty important to me, as I firmly believe in the benefits of living a "paleo" lifestyle in terms of diet. I eat a lot of eggs, bacon, various vegetables, chicken, fish, meat, healthy fats. I cook most of my meals but sometimes eat salads/steaks etc out. I have no problem finding things to eat while out.

ie yesterday:

breakfast: low carb vanilla protein shake w/ almond milk + splash of heavy cream.

lunch: leftover taco meat, avocado, dollop of creme fraiche and sprinkle of cheese.

dinner: low-carb shepherd's pie made w/ ground beef, green beans, cauliflower, cheese, onions, coconut oil.

this is something I expect to follow for the rest of my life and would like to feed my children this way as well.

this is something you would be freaked out by, out in the wild? :D

I don't think it's anything that anyone would really even notice frankly unless you announced it. It's not one of the more extreme lifestyle choices, like raw foods for example where people do not eat any cooked products. I think that would be more alarming for most people and may make going out to eat a bit awkward, but paleo eating can go under the radar, so I wouldn't personally find any issues with this as it's super easy to accommodate. So no, I wouldn't have issues with it. But everyone is different.

Since I'm married, I wouldn't date anyone...lol ;) but DH & I are both paleo for the most part. I don't like the term paleo either, but rather clean. As soon as you say paleo, people get all weird and think it's hard...it's not hard to eat clean! I don't consider it low-carb either, because I love sweet potatoes and fruit. :)

Our daughter, more than likely, will end up with celiac down the road so we started going the gluten-free route now so it will be an easy transition, if it comes to that point. Turns out, when I go gluten free, a lot of my issues disappear so I have some sort of sensitivity. And it seems like DH has more of a dairy sensitivity...so paleo makes sense. Daughter still eats like a kid though.

• Like 1

You had me at Bacon!! ;-) That's sexy talk to my ears. ;-)

Never even heard the word "Peleo" in my life, but only as a suffix to a period of time during pre-historic Earth.

I did recall a woman with an online dating profile that said she was vegan, and demanded her future sig. other be a Vegan or at LEAST a vegetarian, or willing to become one. HA. Good luck with that, if she wants that in her life, she should date a woman. Don't know of hardly any men here that are vegans.

note: I'm not trying to start a debate about if paleo/low carb is healthy or not.

this is something that's pretty important to me, as I firmly believe in the benefits of living a "paleo" lifestyle in terms of diet. I eat a lot of eggs, bacon, various vegetables, chicken, fish, meat, healthy fats. I cook most of my meals but sometimes eat salads/steaks etc out. I have no problem finding things to eat while out.

ie yesterday:

breakfast: low carb vanilla protein shake w/ almond milk + splash of heavy cream.

lunch: leftover taco meat, avocado, dollop of creme fraiche and sprinkle of cheese.

dinner: low-carb shepherd's pie made w/ ground beef, green beans, cauliflower, cheese, onions, coconut oil.

this is something I expect to follow for the rest of my life and would like to feed my children this way as well.

this is something you would be freaked out by, out in the wild? :D

Edited by irc333
salparadise
Paleo is a very popular diet these days! I am a firm paleo eater and have been for the past two years since being diagnosed with Coeliac disease. But if I met a guy who was vegetarian.. it wouldnt bother me at all. After all I wouldnt care about my partners diet in the slightest, as long as we get along. If he doesn't want to touch meat... doesn't effect me in the slightest.

I agree! The term paleo is a little annoying.. but the term 'gluten free' is even worse! lol

I have been gluten-free for 17 years. Long before the average GP had even heard of celiac disease. I am diligent about the diet too (never knowingly cheated), so it can be restrictive. It's easy enough to work with at home but travel and dining out can be a challenge. The last thing I need is to be saddled with a whole other set of restrictions such that the intersection of the two diets is all we can enjoy together. At the same time, it's necessary for my partner to be willing to endure my restrictions.

So far it has not been a problem. One of the women I dated (longest relationship post D), actually decided to become totally gluten-free along with me. She had already reduced the wheat. Others have had no issue cooking for me or eating what I cook.

Perhaps the fact that it's medically necessary and not a choice makes people more understanding. Anyway, I wouldn't automatically rule someone out because of their diet unless they were the proselytizing type who wants to wear it like a uniform. It would be really hard to deal with a vegan though––can't imagine giving up cheese and eggs.

• Like 1
blah blah blah I wrote a lot of nonsense justifying my decision to be low carb here but that's not necessary. this is how I live my life and that's what I believe in - I'm not here to debate that. :)

Are you paleo or low carb?

Paleo diets have more restrictions than low carb diets.

ThaWholigan

Ah, this is interesting. I went on a few dates with a girl who was on the paleo diet - it got me interested until I realized I'd have to give up grain, which is quite important on my diet which doesn't consist of much meat at all - only fish.

I grew up in a mostly vegetarian environment - my mum being a pescetarian and my dad being a vegan for most of my adolescence until he eventually started eating fish again. I have no ethical problems with meat at all, just no desire to change my diet as I have experienced very few problems other than overdoing the dairy.

Would I date someone on a paleo diet? Sure!

Would I go on the paleo diet? Probably not :p. I'm fine with my rice and gungo peas boiled in coconut milk to go with my spinach and cod :D.

More power to you though, I think as individuals we need to find the diet that works with our bodies :).

What I eat goes in my stomach and what you eat goes in yours. As long as the man's health and appearance wasn't adversely impacted by his diet, I wouldn't care.

I'm fine with my rice and gungo peas boiled in coconut milk to go with my spinach and cod :D.

Recipe, please! Maybe post it in the Water Cooler cooking thread. What the heck are gungo peas and what would be a good substitute?

• Author
whirl3daway
Are you paleo or low carb?

Paleo diets have more restrictions than low carb diets.

I am actually low-carb (the particular diet I follow is the ketogenic diet). I just put paleo because people seem to be more familiar with that.