• Author
Never lie about dates or who you worked for...that can all be verified.

However it gets a little grey about why your position ended, and/or gaps between jobs...most employers will not discuss why your job ended only that you worked there from x date to y date and what your title was. So your reasons for the job starting and ending - are up to you to explain.

Also the time in between jobs - well - that can't be verified and you may consider ANY explanation you wish helps you in the interview or application.

I've had some cash contract jobs that obviously wouldn't be able to be verified....I've also worked for my dad's business for many years....the prior I usually say it was an unpaid internship and as for working for my dad, I usually explain as such and provide a reference if necessary. I've gone the independent contractor route, but I wasn't 1099ed on either position, so that could pose an issue if the potential employer asks for a 1099. On a formal application, I don't list contract jobs that cannot be verified, but I list them as experience on my resume.

I've had some positions I've left on bad terms and it wasn't an issue with my previous employer doing verification. As you already mentioned, verification is usually just employment dates, whether or not eligible for rehire and job title. Though I was technically terminated without reason from my last job, I usually say I was laid off.

• Author
Well there is a difference between lying and omitting information. When you list employment times, these can easily be verified by calling the employer. Also there are way to finding out if you left on good or bad terms, without having to ask how you left. One of the most common ways is asking "If this person were to apply for the same position again, would you hire them back?" Give no information as to why or why not, thus no liability. If you don't list an employment, it is very unlikely an employer would find it, or even be looking for it. However, that than brings up the issue of having to explain an employment "gap" during that period.

This is a good point here. Usually prior employers just call HR of your previous employers to verify employment, rather than your direct manager (unless you worked for a small company, then HR would probably be your boss) and HR won't know details other than whether or not you're eligible for rehire. In my case, my last employer did verification AFTER they gave me an offer and they were only concerned with verifying places of employment, rather than whether or not I was eligible for rehire. The biggest importance to them was the green light from all references I provided.

• Author
So let's say someone was fired from a job in march of 2014 and then finds another one in May of 2014. They are at the next job for 5 years do they even need to mention the job again they were fired from if they were only there 9 months?

List it especially if the work experience is helpful, just put no to contact for a reference. A prospective employer will usually just verify that you worked there and provide no additional information other than your dates and job title.

List it especially if the work experience is helpful, just put no to contact for a reference. A prospective employer will usually just verify that you worked there and provide no additional information other than your dates and job title.

I guess I was thinking it was no need to list because being fired from a job that wasn't your previous job should not be a issue especially if you was at the previous job for 5 years. It shouldn't even matter why you left the job before the job you were at for 5 years

• Author
I guess I was thinking it was no need to list because being fired from a job that wasn't your previous job should not be a issue especially if you was at the previous job for 5 years. It shouldn't even matter why you left the job before the job you were at for 5 years

You're right, it definitely shouldn't matter and most likely doesn't. Basically employers just want to see that where you've worked is where you've really worked. Sometimes they will just verify the last 4 years or 4 positions, whichever was longer, which happened in my case.

I never knew listing being a full time student could be a negative. For freelance/under the table work, I usually just give references. I agree that a resume should only reflect relevant work experience. I worked several odd jobs to support myself through school and the only time I will list those is on a formal employment application. As for employers not liking the unemployed, if only they knew how many other interested employers call me each week. It just takes time due to the high unemployment rate these days.

I used to think school was always a positive for employers provided one was studying something relevant and doing well, but here are some of the stupid comments I have heard from employers.....

Employer: I guess you're not available full time.

Me: Yes I am available for and seeking full time work *insert standard day time availability*.

Employer: Well if you want to work full time why are you bothering with school?

Employer: People we hire stay at this company until they retire. Since you're going to school its clear you won't do that.

Me: It's pretty difficult to predict such a thing, but I am very open to staying with a company long term if it works for everyone and through school I am developing skills that can be used in a variety of industries including this one.

Employer: Well we don't want to risk hiring someone who might leave.

Employer: I see you have worked quite a few jobs while attending school, were they part time or full time?

Me: Part time.

Employer: Why not full time?

Me: I was available full time, but those positions were specifically part time which worked for me because I had the opportunity to develop so many new skills relevant to my future goals.

Employer: Well part time work isn't really all that valid, especially since you were going to school. Why didn't you ask for full time work?

Me: Those companies made it very clear full time was not an option and during my employment there no full time opportunities were made available.

Employer: They probably just didn't want to take a big risk on a student since students tend to be flaky.

Employer: So I guess school is pretty expensive.

Me: It can be, but with adequate planning it is attainable.

Employer: Well I hope you're not looking for tuition reimbursement, we don't have that.

Me: No I was not.

Employer: Sure you say that now, but chances are you'll quit when an employer offering it wants to hire you.

Employer: So you're getting a bachelor's?

Me: Yes.

Employer: What happens if you want to go to grad school?

Me: That would be a decision I would not make lightly, but I would deal with it appropriately should that come up as a possibility.

Employer: Great so we get screwed.

Me: Pardon?

Employer: Well why would you keep working here if you want to do more school?

Employer: This job requires working weekend mornings.

Me: I understand and that is not a problem.

Employer: Are you sure? Students have a tendency to go out, get drunk, and sleep in or be too hungover to work weekends.

Yep yep yep, sad but true so I stopped mentioning it and had less hassles. Now that I'm in grad school (a transition I handled properly and all the while worked full time by the way) I don't mention it unless it is absolutely necessary.

• Like 1
Do not lie on your resume. I have fired someone for this specifically because they fudged the dates they left a company. I have heard numerous stories of people terminated because of lies on their resume, degrees they don't have, etc.

It isn't worth it nor is it needed. Don't risk it.

I don't advocate being a liar to get a job- but you can subterfuge your employment gaps with a well put together resume when you highlight relevant experience first.

I have lots of management and sales experience, and I have lots of merchandising experience. When I apply for a management or sales job- I push that experience to the front of my resume... When I apply for merchandising positions, I push that experience to the front.

I can't see an employer firing someone for saying they left a job in April 1997, when it might have been February 1997. I can see an employer firing someone for saying they worked somewhere they never worked- but not for hiding a gap of employment of a month or two.

• Like 2
I used to think school was always a positive for employers provided one was studying something relevant and doing well, but here are some of the stupid comments I have heard from employers.....

Me: Yes I am available for and seeking full time work *insert standard day time availability*.

Employer: People we hire stay at this company until they retire. Since you're going to school its clear you won't do that.

Me: It's pretty difficult to predict such a thing, but I am very open to staying with a company long term if it works for everyone and through school I am developing skills that can be used in a variety of industries including this one.

Employer: I see you have worked quite a few jobs while attending school, were they part time or full time?

Me: I was available full time, but those positions were specifically part time which worked for me because I had the opportunity to develop so many new skills relevant to my future goals.

Employer: Well part time work isn't really all that valid, especially since you were going to school. Why didn't you ask for full time work?

Me: Those companies made it very clear full time was not an option and during my employment there no full time opportunities were made available.

Employer: They probably just didn't want to take a big risk on a student since students tend to be flaky.

Employer: Well I hope you're not looking for tuition reimbursement, we don't have that.

Employer: Sure you say that now, but chances are you'll quit when an employer offering it wants to hire you.

Me: That would be a decision I would not make lightly, but I would deal with it appropriately should that come up as a possibility.

Employer: Are you sure? Students have a tendency to go out, get drunk, and sleep in or be too hungover to work weekends.

Yep yep yep, sad but true so I stopped mentioning it and had less hassles. Now that I'm in grad school (a transition I handled properly and all the while worked full time by the way) I don't mention it unless it is absolutely necessary.

Why would u allow yourself to be questioned like that?

• Like 1
  • Author

Wow, thankfully in all the jobs I've had, I've never had such responses. How unprofessional. Good thing you aren't working for them.

MuscleCarFan

Wow. I would have walked out of an interview like any of those! How unprofessional!

• 2 weeks later...

WP4046.... Just to clarify that was not one interview. All of those questions came from different interviews at different companies. The interviews always started off pretty normal and that type of questioning came up at the end.

Musclecarfan.... Sure I could have gotten up and just walked out, but that's not me. I just ended the interview professionally like I would any other and declined future interviews or offers of employment. Yep every once in awhile one of those crazy employers actually reached out to me again lol.

PinkSugar...... I agree that I'm better off not working for any of them. An employer so at ease displaying unprofessional behavior in an interview is only going to get worse when you have to report to them. My current employer was happy to hear I'm finishing my Master's and aiming for more education after that. As long as my work is done properly I can adjust my schedule as needed, which is a huge plus.

• Like 1
WP4046.... Just to clarify that was not one interview. All of those questions came from different interviews at different companies. The interviews always started off pretty normal and that type of questioning came up at the end.

Musclecarfan.... Sure I could have gotten up and just walked out, but that's not me. I just ended the interview professionally like I would any other and declined future interviews or offers of employment. Yep every once in awhile one of those crazy employers actually reached out to me again lol.

PinkSugar...... I agree that I'm better off not working for any of them. An employer so at ease displaying unprofessional behavior in an interview is only going to get worse when you have to report to them. My current employer was happy to hear I'm finishing my Master's and aiming for more education after that. As long as my work is done properly I can adjust my schedule as needed, which is a huge plus.

I am glad to hear that because I would hope no one would allow themselves to be interrogated like that for a job

• Author

I just had a similar interview the other day, only it just seemed as if the interviewer didn't do their homework before bringing me in. They bypassed the phone screen, "because my resume and writing samples really impressed them"...only for them to shoot me down right in the interview, because "based on your resume and your career goals, this may not be a good it". Um, really? Why call me in for an interview then in which I wasted time and gas to drive 30 minutes to if you were so sure I was a good fit based on my resume? :rolleyes: It took everything I had to resist temptation from calling them out in the interview.

I just had a similar interview the other day, only it just seemed as if the interviewer didn't do their homework before bringing me in. They bypassed the phone screen, "because my resume and writing samples really impressed them"...only for them to shoot me down right in the interview, because "based on your resume and your career goals, this may not be a good it". Um, really? Why call me in for an interview then in which I wasted time and gas to drive 30 minutes to if you were so sure I was a good fit based on my resume? :rolleyes: It took everything I had to resist temptation from calling them out in the interview.

That's another thing I don't miss about the job search. Employers that intentionally waste your time and money just to get their jollies or something. I am a big fan of phone screens to avoid this very thing. Now with that employer I could see them skipping it and still bringing you in if they thought they had a more senior position you'd be a better fit for. But to bring you in just to reject you? Totally inconsiderate.

• Like 1
That's another thing I don't miss about the job search. Employers that intentionally waste your time and money just to get their jollies or something. I am a big fan of phone screens to avoid this very thing. Now with that employer I could see them skipping it and still bringing you in if they thought they had a more senior position you'd be a better fit for. But to bring you in just to reject you? Totally inconsiderate.

How bout showing up for a interview and telling the receptionist who you are and then the receptionist coming back out and asking

"Ms. XX said she will be tied up in a meeting all day and wanted to know if you can come back tomorrow?"

My answer......"Tell her I am no longer interested"

• Like 1
UpwardForward
How bout showing up for a interview and telling the receptionist who you are and then the receptionist coming back out and asking

"Ms. XX said she will be tied up in a meeting all day and wanted to know if you can come back tomorrow?"

My answer......"Tell her I am no longer interested"

How about: 'Tell her if her job depends on hiring the best applicants, have her call me. But only if she doesn't intend to waste my time'

How about: 'Tell her if her job depends on hiring the best applicants, have her call me. But only if she doesn't intend to waste my time'

The fact that she couldn't come out herself and tell me and sent the receptionist made me lose interest in the opportunity

• Like 1
Eternal Sunshine

It really annoyed me when I had an interview last month where employers wanted a lot of management experience. I barely have any and it's not a direction I want to go in anyway. It was very clear from my resume too. Then they called me for an interview and basically told me that management would be one of the main job duties (again, in the job description it wasn't mentioned).

Thanks for wasting my time :mad:

• Like 1
It really annoyed me when I had an interview last month where employers wanted a lot of management experience. I barely have any and it's not a direction I want to go in anyway. It was very clear from my resume too. Then they called me for an interview and basically told me that management would be one of the main job duties (again, in the job description it wasn't mentioned).

Thanks for wasting my time :mad:

I definitely would have walked out and ended the interview once I realized management wasn't in the ad. That's like me applying to a job that I think is in house and get to the interview and found out there is traveling involved.

• Like 1
  • Author

I got called for an interview for a position I found on craigslist. It was an ad for a marketing manager and marketing coordinator. However, when I get to the website when applying, they only had a "proctor" option to select...even though the marketing positions were advertised in my area. After reviewing the site prior to my interview, I find out the proctor position is part time and only $8-9 an hour starting. Yikes. I called to find out and verify if that was the only position open at that location and it was. Thankfully the guy let me know after I called him. I really didn't want to drive 12 miles out for such a low paying job. I am already working part time...and it would be a b!tch to commute that far from my current job for that pay rate. I respectfully declined and no one's time was wasted. I think he was confused since I selected the proctor position...but it shouldn't be a surprise when the marketing positions that were only at the other locations were advertised at that location.

I got called for an interview for a position I found on craigslist. It was an ad for a marketing manager and marketing coordinator. However, when I get to the website when applying, they only had a "proctor" option to select...even though the marketing positions were advertised in my area. After reviewing the site prior to my interview, I find out the proctor position is part time and only $8-9 an hour starting. Yikes. I called to find out and verify if that was the only position open at that location and it was. Thankfully the guy let me know after I called him. I really didn't want to drive 12 miles out for such a low paying job. I am already working part time...and it would be a b!tch to commute that far from my current job for that pay rate. I respectfully declined and no one's time was wasted. I think he was confused since I selected the proctor position...but it shouldn't be a surprise when the marketing positions that were only at the other locations were advertised at that location.

I understand because I feel like I want another increase in my salary since I spend $98 a month on transportation lol

• Like 1
  • Author
I understand because I feel like I want another increase in my salary since I spend $98 a month on transportation lol

Exactly. In this case, I would probably would be paid enough just to cover transportation there and back. :laugh: Especially since this position was unrelated to my long term goals. I do some independent contract work on the side for $10 an hour as it's remote and doesn't require daily transportation expense....but 12 miles away for minimum wage, no thanks.

Exactly. In this case, I would probably would be paid enough just to cover transportation there and back. :laugh: Especially since this position was unrelated to my long term goals. I do some independent contract work on the side for $10 an hour as it's remote and doesn't require daily transportation expense....but 12 miles away for minimum wage, no thanks.

I would not mind a part-time job but all I see is jobs offering 20 to 25 hours. I need a job offering 10 LOL

• Like 1
  • Author

Yeah, I work 20 hours at my regular job and about 10-15 for my contract job.

Yeah the commute is huge when considering part time work. I have a part time temp job that is 15 hours a week and it is half way between my day job and home. How great is that? No extra commute costs and it pays above minimum wage. I might actually be sad when it ends in a month or so.

• Like 1