Are grasses that much greener with higher education?

hoping2heal
I am finding the grass is not any greener with a higher education.... I only have an Associates and wanted to pursue a 4 year degree like every normal person does, which not doing me any good. Im still working at dead end jobs, cant seem to make a living wage, and still not getting ahead. :( How am I to pay for such expensive education at these wages?

I have been left lonely and frustrated to figure things out on my own at home with very little to no guidance at all. The information I do obtain to further my education is either wrong or misinformation. I am having a bit of trouble having faith and trust in people that are trying to help.

At this point IMO, I dont think going into debt over a higher education is going to help.

I don't see it as a one size fits all.

In my town, yes you need a 4 year degree because this is a small town and your options are getting at least your 4-year and this will put you in upper - to higher middle class salary, or working at Wal-Mart. The people I know with at least a 4 year are all thriving and doing well, those without not so much.

But, there are not many options here for uneducated people so that's the way the cloth cuts. I think it certainly takes more than just a degree though. What is your work experience? What and who are your references? Did you do any internships/assisting while completing your education? There are things you can do to boost your options post grad, in my experience.

You have to spend money to make money, but of course like all must investments you need to be wise and not every person is. There are people you see in the news who spend so much on tuition at this fancy schmance schools only to go into a profession that nets 35k a year. Or, people who choose a career path that has very limited job opportunities.

Assoc. alone does very little unless say something like an RN program, but it could just be the area I live in.

• Like 1
hoping2heal
I have a degree and it did NOTHING for me.

What type of degree? e.g. 2 year, 4 year, etc.

What was your major?

What kind of networking did you do and did you have contacts in your field upon graduating?

Do any interning / assisting, or volunteering to get experience in the field?

Eternal Sunshine

YES!

The grass is much greener. Thanks to my PhD, I traveled the world, I met many highly intelligent people, learned from the experts and now I got the job of my dreams :bunny:

Now it wasn't all smooth sailing. The main thing is, no matter how hard things got - I never gave up. I had a long term plan, I knew what I wanted to achieve and now I have done exactly that. Feels a bit surreal to be honest.

• Like 2