Auto Mechanic skills attractive?

morgan1996

How important is it for a man to have auto mechanic skills as far as having a chance at attracting a woman?

Is it a turn off to most women if a man doesn't know how to change the oil himself but takes it to the shop to get it done? What about not knowing how to fix a flat tire? Does that mean he can pretty much forget about any chances of sex?

acrosstheuniverse

It's pretty attractive to me if a guy can fix my car, yes, but I seem to only ever end up with boyfriends who either don't have a car, or don't have a driving license at all! Being able to drive is a big plus, but the whole car thing isn't a dealbreaker. My current boyfriend can't drive. He knows it bothers me. It doesn't put me off him in the slightest.

• Like 1
organizedchaos
How important is it for a man to have auto mechanic skills as far as having a chance at attracting a woman?

Is it a turn off to most women if a man doesn't know how to change the oil himself but takes it to the shop to get it done? What about not knowing how to fix a flat tire? Does that mean he can pretty much forget about any chances of sex?

What gives you any indication that being able to fix a car increases or decreases your shot at getting laid???

How about this - be an overall good, confident, well rounded person who can make a woman laugh, has things going on in his life that don't solely focus on her, and has goals in life.

Ruby Slippers

I'm definitely turned on by traditional man skills - fixing cars, handyman and construction work, hooking up electronics, fixing computer and tech stuff. It's not a requirement, but I would strongly prefer a guy who's good at this stuff to one who's not, as my skills in most of the above areas are quite weak, and I'm happy to do the equivalent traditional woman things, like cooking and giving massages.

I recently went on a date with a carpenter, and though I didn't feel a spark with him, it was very hard to resist his sincere offer to be my Mr. Fix It :)

• Like 1

a man who is handy, not just with cars, but who can fix plumbing issues or whatnot around the house. HUGE! for me it matters a lot. it's nice to know a man can take care of stuff for you and that (as a gf/wife) you don't have to drag yourself down to repair shops and such. not a dealbreaker, but a great bonus!

• Like 1

If the man is otherwise attractive, such skills will also be attractive to the extent that they benefit his attractiveness.

Caution: Not all women are enamored of a man who smells and/or appears of this trade, even if they might otherwise be attracted or love him. As someone who's worked in oilfield services and heavy industrial for about 35 years, I've seen this up close and personal, including when married. There's nothing sexy about 140w gear oil or the stench of welding/plasma cutting gases. They stink.

Good luck!

Copelandsanity
If the man is otherwise attractive, such skills will also be attractive to the extent that they benefit his attractiveness.

Caution: Not all women are enamored of a man who smells and/or appears of this trade, even if they might otherwise be attracted or love him. As someone who's worked in oilfield services and heavy industrial for about 35 years, I've seen this up close and personal, including when married. There's nothing sexy about 140w gear oil or the stench of welding/plasma cutting gases. They stink.

Good luck!

Yeah, I don't think it's having the skill itself that causes attraction, but rather, the benefit it would have towards the interaction with the woman. Your skill could show that you have other interests/priorities in life, give you the confidence to be an assertive person, or give you a topic of conversation with a woman who is into cars.

My first wife loved my skillsets of carpentry, Mr fix it or even can fix anything, including circuit boards in electronics etc etc..

My wife today could care less, I have fixed all the appliances here and never made her blink an eye, build a deck.. doesn't faze her, fix her car do a brake job.. nothing...It's just the way some people are...

I honestly think it is a plus.. I think if you interrogated my wife she would say it trips her trigger.. she just doesn't want my ego to get any bigger:laugh:

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator

I do find mechanical skills very attractive in a man. It's not a deal breaker if he can't change a flat or his own oil, but it's definitely a huge bonus if he can do those.

I'm a woman and I can even change my own oil.

I've heard women gets turned on when they see their man doing stuff like that. Although not a deal breaker I think most women don't mind a handy man around the house. However I also know some women who are turned off by men not understanding how to do simple tasks and having to call someone for a simple 5 minute fix. It just shows no motivation to learn and do something I guess. It's not that difficult and the fact that you call someone over to fix something that took them 5 minutes just makes it even more embarrassing in my opinion.

• Like 1

Yes, it is attractive if a man knows how to do basic mechanics, but then I'm an old fashioned gal!

Probably more to the point is, in situations when I'm in trouble (broken down at the side of the road etc) its good to have a 'take charge' guy. Meaning if they can't fix it themselves, then they know who to call to get it sorted.

It isn't a deal breaker BUT I would kill to meet guy that can do at least something. I have always been the one to do everything in terms of fixing things. It isn't that I mind doing things but there are only so many hours in the day so if a gent could step up, whether its cleaning a gutter to changing the oil in the vehicles it would be a blessing. None of the men I have dated couldn't or wouldn't do any of those things themselves. The last gent may change his tune after an $800 plumbing job that when I looked at it was less then $50 of materials and at most took 45 minutes including cutting the drywall.

Further to that, I do recall an ex changing a flat tyre by the roadside on our way to a party. I found it really attractive, him doing the whole 'he man' thing! He got dirty and ripped his shirt in the process so we quickly went home for him to get changed......we never did make it to the party:love::love:

Ruby Slippers
However I also know some women who are turned off by men not understanding how to do simple tasks and having to call someone for a simple 5 minute fix.

I was very deflated when a boyfriend of mine once refused to hang a plant from the ceiling in the kitchen above the sink because he didn't know how, refused to learn how, and wouldn't even hire someone to do it. I felt like my man wasn't a man. It was a huge turn-off and disappointment.

• Like 2

My husband's first career was as auto technician at a major dealership. Ever since we got together, he has phased into a different, white-collar career in IT, but he still does work as a mechanic on the weekends to keep his skills sharp.

Not only has it always been a reliable source of extra income, but he maintains our cars as well so we save a lot of money.

Plus, since he's good with tools and electrical stuff, he can practically do any household task from changing/adding an outlet to installing a new faucet or remodeling a room.

I always thought it was VERY attractive that he had those skills and it was definitely a factor in deciding to date him.

• Like 1

Speaking for myself, if I am attracted to a guy and he can fix cars, I think of that as a bonus because it is nice to have someone knowledgeable of vehicles when something goes wrong. On the other hand, if I'm not attracted to a guy, then those skills wouldn't make a difference and wouldn't make me any more likely to be attracted to a man.

HokeyReligions

I never thought it mattered until I married a man that can't do diddly squat. I have to do it myself or hire a handyman. I don't think it should be a deal breaker but I think some traditional guy things are important.

lollipopspot

There is a HUGE gap between changing a tire and "auto mechanic skills." Changing a tire should be something that anyone who drives should be able to figure out how to do. It's very simple, and the instructions are in your driver's manual. If a healthy guy was too helpless to pick up the manual and change a tire when stranded, I'd wonder about him.

I wouldn't expect any average guy to have real "auto mechanic skills" though, unless he had been specially trained for work or trained himself as a hobby.

I've always been pretty good with my hands and have been a mechanic before. I've also rebuilt dirt bikes, an ouboard engine and can do light to moderate plumbing/electrical. I think a man should be able to change a tire, put on wipers and do a basic brake job at a minimum.

I've known women who cared about that kind of thing and others who didn't. It depends maybe on what their father and brothers were like. I think there is little correlation between mechanical aptitude and success with women. You should do the things in life that interest you and make you feel good about yourself. Whether that is fixing cars, building houses, cooking, baking, landscaping, sports, whatever. The important thing, I think, is just to do something, do it well, and to get to the point where you feel good about yourself. Women don't like dullards who have no self-respect (although I've run across plenty of dullards with no self-respect who had nice women in their lives.)

My interests range around. When I want to I can do most routine maintenance on my cars, although it takes me at least twice as long as it would take a pro. Same thing with home improvement projects. If I feel like my time is worth more to me doing other things, and/or if I want a professional job instead of an amateur job, then I'll hire someone. I also sometimes really like to do things in the yard. Lately I've been big into making sourdough bread and home fermented foods. I also go through phases when I'm big into going to the gym and/or running trails or some other workout routine. Sometimes I am just a slacker and let a video game take up all my time.

Edited by johan
  • Like 1

He's too young for me, but this teenager impressed me. He changed his diet to improve his health and lose weight, is now happy with himself and his life, and he wrote a cookbook: Slim Palate

I've just realized this sounds like spam, but it isn't. I was reminded of him by Ruby's and Johan's posts.

Edited by Anela

She will either be attracted to you or not WAY before she knows any of this about you.