"Son of God" Movie

I'm neither religious nor spiritual but I view that movie as a mockery towards the religion. It's simply a way to generate funds. Just my opinion.

TheFinalWord
I just saw the movie. There's no way that's Desmond! Are you for real? He looks totally different. Different body weight, skin color, everything.

Yep, it's him :)

Check about 15 seconds in, exact replica :)

• Author

TFW, I checked your links. That's definitely Desmond. But in the movie "Son of God" they must have used a different actor. I'm sure it's based off the same series of John but check out the trailer for the movie. It's definitely a different actor.

• Author
Hey M30, you said you are seeing the movie this weekend. If you feel led and when you have time, I would really like to hear what you think.

I watched it last night (opening night). I'm surprised how few people were there. Maybe because I saw a late showing at 9pm and most of the viewers are families?

My overall impression is very good. I think they did a great job of keeping true to Scripture while including their own interpretation of extra, non-biblical scenes. The actor who played Jesus did a good job of presenting himself as Jesus. There were a few times when it seemed as if certain events surprised Jesus and he didnt know they were going to happen in advance (like Peter's betrayal), but they quickly made it clear that he did in other scenes, such as when Pilate said, "It's almost as if he knows this must happen." So they balanced it out pretty well just when I was beginning to get suspicious. I guess you have to include his human element somehow, right? Otherwise it wouldn't be dramatic.

The strongest point, by far, was how they presented the power struggle between the Jews, the Romans, and Jesus. Very nicely done and believable.

The biggest criticism I have is how they didn't make it clear that Jesus had a physical resurrection. They almost suggested that he was a ghost. And they didnt include his verse to Thomas about "feel my hands", etc. I felt it was ambiguous and left up to the viewer.

Everyone should watch it. Awesome movie and I had a golf ball in my throat for most of it.

pureinheart
I watched it last night (opening night). I'm surprised how few people were there. Maybe because I saw a late showing at 9pm and most of the viewers are families?

My overall impression is very good. I think they did a great job of keeping true to Scripture while including their own interpretation of extra, non-biblical scenes. The actor who played Jesus did a good job of presenting himself as Jesus. There were a few times when it seemed as if certain events surprised Jesus and he didnt know they were going to happen in advance (like Peter's betrayal), but they quickly made it clear that he did in other scenes, such as when Pilate said, "It's almost as if he knows this must happen." So they balanced it out pretty well just when I was beginning to get suspicious. I guess you have to include his human element somehow, right? Otherwise it wouldn't be dramatic.

The strongest point, by far, was how they presented the power struggle between the Jews, the Romans, and Jesus. Very nicely done and believable.

The biggest criticism I have is how they didn't make it clear that Jesus had a physical resurrection. They almost suggested that he was a ghost. And they didnt include his verse to Thomas about "feel my hands", etc. I felt it was ambiguous and left up to the viewer.

Everyone should watch it. Awesome movie and I had a golf ball in my throat for most of it.

Awesome M30, I knew if it passed your measuring stick, I would be able to measure my comprehension and discernment based on that. I knew you would have your radar up and critique it accordingly and justly.

I'm anxious to see how close it is to the History Channel's version, most of the advertising scenes were the same.

You know M30, I can honestly say a crucial pivotal point in my life happened due to this movie, the fellowship here on LS and other moves of the Lord.

Well now I feel confident in suggesting "The Bible" mini-series.

I'm glad you brought up the fact that the character of Jesus acted surprised concerning some of the events. Why would you say they did this? Is this Biblical at all? I remember thinking the same thing, so I'd really like to know your thoughts as to why… Knowing you you commented on this already, but am picking your brain to see if you have more thoughts:D

• Like 1
  • Author

Like I said, I think they HAD to make Jesus act surprised during certain events so that it adds to the dramatic effect. Obviously Jesus knew EVERYTHING before it happened. But that wouldn't make a very exciting script, would it?

There is actually a Scriptural parallel of this very same idea. Jesus prayed and thanked the Father for "hearing" him and said that he knows the Father "always" hears him, but he said it anyway "for the sake of the people standing here" so that they would know he has been sent by the Father. (See John 11:41-42.) So Jesus sometimes took on human reactions and behavior merely to relate, so to speak, to us on our level. This is why I don't think it's a big deal that he seemed to act surprised by Peter's denial. It would seem odd if he didn't. And clearly the movie makes it known in other scenes that Jesus was omniscient so it's fine.

In other movies, what you have to watch out for is when they suggest, overall, that Jesus didn't know what his ultimate purpose was (to be a sacrifice). Some earlier movies seem to suggest that Jesus stumbled across this discovery, was blindsided by his betrayal, and that his death wasn't purposeful. This new movie didn't seem to suggest that, thankfully.

Edited by M30USA
pureinheart
Like I said, I think they HAD to make Jesus act surprised during certain events so that it adds to the dramatic effect. Obviously Jesus knew EVERYTHING before it happened. But that wouldn't make a very exciting script, would it?

There is actually a Scriptural parallel of this very same idea. Jesus prayed and thanked the Father for "hearing" him and said that he knows the Father "always" hears him, but he said it anyway "for the sake of the people standing here" so that they would know he has been sent by the Father. (See John 11:41-42.) So Jesus sometimes took on human reactions and behavior merely to relate, so to speak, to us on our level. This is why I don't think it's a big deal that he seemed to act surprised by Peter's denial. It would seem odd if he didn't. And clearly the movie makes it known in other scenes that Jesus was omniscient so it's fine.

Sorry Brotha, I didn't word my question properly, but you did understand what I was trying to ask and answered it- thank you:D I suppose 3 little angel grandchildren would be a good excuse as to distraction:laugh:

There's always been a question, or lack of understanding concerning God's (Jesus) humanness and deity. It's one of those "mysteries" possibly. He is God all of the way, yet came here in "human" form. This is worded poorly also:o

It's like the Trinity for example. God/Jesus/Holy Spirit being "one" yet separate. Jesus tells us that His second coming is only known by the Father as to the exact day and hour.

Oh wow, I had never seen the Scripture reference you provided!

TheFinalWord
TFW, I checked your links. That's definitely Desmond. But in the movie "Son of God" they must have used a different actor. I'm sure it's based off the same series of John but check out the trailer for the movie. It's definitely a different actor.

haha I think there is miscommunication. "Desmond" plays Jesus in the movie: Gospel of John :D Gospel of John is the only movie I have watched that takes word for word from the bible.

• Like 1
truthbetold

We saw it last night too and also were surprised at the low turnout but it was at 945p.

My take is there will never be a movie depicting Jesus and have all parties (from a religious viewpoint) agree. I have read Protestant reviews of people that despised The Bible miniseries because it watered down scripture and was dangerous to those that don't know their bible well. I still maintain I think it's a good thing to get people talking and learning more about Jesus.

Maybe I should have huge issues with the discrepancies but I don't. Does it lull some into a false sense of security? Maybe but the answers are there if we look deeper. Hollywood is not about capturing events with total accuracy, it's usually meant for the emotional impact. And Jesus came to save the world not garner sympathy. It's told all through scripture and sacred apostolic traditions how one should live, and you can't learn that from a movie.

That said, I still thought it was a good movie for what it was. Eliminating the power of the last supper as THE institution for the first Eucharist, is of course huge for Catholics. There's not just one passage of scripture that evidences this but THREE different times it's there.

Jesus emphasizes that you must EAT his flesh and DRINK his blood or you will have no life in you. It wasn't just a remembrance as some may think, he specifically made that point twice in scripture and it's confirmed in Acts, he is truly present in the Eucharist. Jesus is supernatural ,so although our human minds struggle with it, we need to only lean on God's understanding not ours. Because JESUS commanded to do "this" and said he would be there. Jesus doesn't lie. I used to struggle with that, in thinking it's "just" wafer and "just" regular wine. But it's more. It's because he's the alpha and omega and he promised "he is with us". That's our faith, our truth.

However it was interesting in the end before Jesus came to see them they all seemingly hurried to eat the bread and drink the cup "then" he appeared. It was almost a subliminal message that if you do this...he's present, but I'm not sure that was the intent.

Lastly I found it interesting that they included where Mary met Jesus on the way, which is actually a 4th station of the cross! And him telling her "it's time" and she looks knowingly. It's such a sobering reminder of it all and also from the mother's perspective to know all of that and have the grace to withstand it...yeah I cried all through the end, especially the crucifixion.

Though not as graphic as Passion's was, it was still intense. I'm not sure why some Christians don't like to acknowledge the graphic reality of what our Lord suffered though. Perhaps they know but just don't want to see, to which I can understand I suppose, but for me that was a catalyst for changing my life and seeking the truth 10 years ago. Here's hoping for a new generation of truth seekers! :)

• Like 1
None of it is true. Isn't it just lovely how people of one religion feel it is their right to force it onto others? I will boycott any actors and actresses that were in this movie.

How is making a movie forcing beliefs? If you don't want to see it, don't see it. Just like I didn't see Showgirls or The Wolf of Wall Street or ANY Rocky movie lol.

I respect that you do not believe it is true. I do. Luckily, we live in a place here both are allowed.

• Like 3
pureinheart
How is making a movie forcing beliefs? If you don't want to see it, don't see it. Just like I didn't see Showgirls or The Wolf of Wall Street or ANY Rocky movie lol.

I respect that you do not believe it is true. I do. Luckily, we live in a place here both are allowed.

Thank. You.:)

None of it is true. Isn't it just lovely how people of one religion feel it is their right to force it onto others? I will boycott any actors and actresses that were in this movie.

You take this kind of antipathy to a whole new level.

I will be the first to admit I have sometimes gone head to head with M30USA on matters Biblical/religious - but never to the extent that I have manifested nastiness, hostility, or dare I say it hatred.

we get into it - right old barney sometimes - but not to this extent. Never, to this extent.

You really need to address your issues, because they have made you bitter and frankly, illogical in your approach.

Really, it's not healthy.

• Like 2
  • Author

Perhaps deef is beginning to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit and wants to block out any influence which aligns with what the Spirit is telling him. Maybe this new movie is merely a secondary reflection of what the Spirit is telling him and for that reason he perceives it as being offensive, when in fact it has nothing to do with the movie.

Deef, if the Holy Spirit is speaking to you, don't fight it. You might have been chosen. God sends the Spirit to some and not to others.

"As has just been said: 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion.'" (Hebrews 3:15 NIV)

Edited by M30USA

Oh c'mon M30USA.... now you're just taking the pi$$.....

:laugh:

• Author

All people I've known who converted to following Jesus Christ initially had a struggle where they tried to block out things related to Christ and felt that others were "forcing" them into it--even when no such force existed.

That's cool (about seeing the movie). I'm excited about all the movies coming out right now (Son of God, Moses, Noah). Though I don't see how Noah will outdo Evan Almighty. ;)

So what are your thoughts about the lack of a Devil? Was it noticeable? I just heard that they "took the devil out", but I wasn't sure if that meant just a human/physical presence, or if they downplayed the whole sin/hell part.

The movie takes scenes shot for the TV series and pieces them together. Some scenes cut from the TV series are included, and others (i.e. some of the more controversial scenes in the TV series such as the scenes with Satan) were removed.

I had no idea the TV series existed (apparently, it's been one of the most popular TV series)! I stumbled on Mark Burnett and Roma Downey giving a talk about the movie, and stayed because I was fascinated that the producer of Survivor, Amazing Race (my favorite show EVER!), and The Apprentice was Christian and married to Roma Downey. So, I did see the movie.

Overall, it stayed true to the Bible. The only spot where they paraphrased what Jesus said was when the crowd is about to stone the adulterous woman. At the resurrection, it's unclear initially whether it's a ghost or Jesus' resurrected body, but later it becomes clear that he's been resurrected because you see the holes in his hands where he had been nailed to the cross. I would have liked to see more time focused on how Jesus suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before the crucifixion, but I understand the movie is trying to cover a huge amount of ground in a two-hour period. Because it was "cut and pasted" from the TV series, it feels a little disjointed. Still, it accomplishes its goal--to get people talking about Jesus' story and its significance-- human sin, God's abiding love for us, His grace and mercy, and a clear path to redemption, if we so choose. For that I'm thankful!

• Like 1