"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

Stranger516

OP, I don't think you have an issue. If your boyfriend had no intention of marrying you he never would have agreed to look at rings (at HIS suggestion!) Maybe he is waiting until you are done with school and get a job? Weddings cost a lot of money (as does marriage in general), therefore he may want YOU to be financially stable when you get married as well.

Plus, the two of you are still young. Even though you have been together for 7 years, you started dating as teenagers so that changes things a bit. I would maybe have a different opinion if you had started dating in your mid to late 20's and it's 7 years later with no ring. But I feel like all signs are leading towards marriage.

Whatever you do though, PLEASE don't pressure him. Living together will not prevent him from proposing, not wanting to marry you will prevent him. And it sounds like he DOES want to marry you, so I'm sure you don't have anything to worry about.

• Like 1

I think you're being a little paranoid.

I wouldn't mind if I was in a long-term relationship with no ring. I would have to put my foot down though if he wanted children. If he wanted to bind us together with a child, I'd want to be bound together in marriage.

That's my personal preference. That person at your work should keep their trap shut. Sounds like everything is on track.

Ive never understood what it is about the topics of marriage and children that make people feel entitled to nose into the lives of perfect strangers (and then to go so far as to offer their own unsolicited advice). I really can't stand that.

I know, right? Boggles the mind. :confused:

OP, you have to take others' comments with a grain of salt, and do what you feel to be right for YOU. Trust me, if you got married now, there would be people telling you that marriages that start in their 20s never work out (not true, of course, but some people believe that). You can never please everyone.

On the topic, IMO if he is putting effort, investment, and commitment into the relationship in return for your own investment, he is hardly getting anything 'for free'. Is he doing so? Are you happy with the relationship?

• Like 2
Untouchable_Fire
We have been working on going to school, making money, becoming financially stable since the day we stepped out of high school to afford to finally live together. I am still in school. So yeah that took 7 years and I won't even be done with school until next year (it will be 8 by then). Some people like to be in the right place, career wise and financially before they get married because that costs money too you know. Just saying.

Why does it matter if you EVER get married? So what if he never proposes, what does that change?

I don't see the point to marriage at all right now.

• Like 2
Why does it matter if you EVER get married? So what if he never proposes, what does that change?

I don't see the point to marriage at all right now.

Because if the guy doesn't wanna buy her a ring and sign some papers which mean he could possibly get royally screwed over with something called alimony or divorce costs or something in the future, it renders the entire relationship meaningless. It's just not a proper committed relationship until he has shown he is willing to risk so much for his sweetie.

...Or something. :p