Need life/job-seeking coaching. [Update]

pfffffft wtf. In Australia, you absolutely cannot even be considered for temp jobs/ data entry UNLESS you have a degree OR, unless you have AMPLE experience at a computer based job, such as a receptionist.

It sounds so easy to get work over there.

I type at break neck speed yet I wouldn't even be considered for a temp job.

Most of this depends on your location. In my current area since there is a TON of competition for jobs, you actually do interview with the temp company aside from doing a clerical test and often times, they will set up a formal interview for you with their client. Because of all that, I find temp agencies useless around here, because it is much like going out and finding a job on your own. However, where I am moving to, they seem to do a much better job finding people work since it's a smaller location and less populated.

Don't lie on your resume because they can verify things real easy. But here's where you lie and no one knows the difference. Tell them your parents are elderly and you've been having to help care for one of them the last few years because she has dementia and can't be alone. The other is working and you're living there, but now they are making a move to be near her relatives and you're staying here and freed up to work. I'm in US but there are plenty of accounting positions here, seems like, so hopefully you won't have to take too little. You need to make enough to live. Good luck.

• Author

well when I worked in the UK, it was really volunteer work, to help maintain my ex-girlfriend's business; I thought it would be a good experience to live abroad. The business closed and I don't have her contact information.

My grandmother does have dementia and I was going to tell them that I went to take care of her the past few years before they had hired help. They live in another country so there's no way of them checking that. Plus I don't think a temp agency will go so far out to check for a job that requires 0 years experience and don't really want to spend the money to find out if I really went abroad.

@CC Actually I've taken your advice and decided to apply for a temp agency with my real resume and they want to interview me and find me some temp work for the time being.

That's great! Congratulations! Feels good, right? Keep that momentum going. Keep getting out there and applying and interviewing. Once you land a job, work your ass off and get noticed and get promoted.

Good luck!

I do have a bachelors degree in Economics and I graduated in 2005 and have had work experience. Hell I worked at Bloomberg. But I was young, hopped around from job to job cause I hated working and started bumming after 2010. I regret my terrible work ethic because by now I should be well into a career but I'm not, I have to start from scratch.

Instead of focusing on this 6 year gap what do you WANT to do? What has changed in the last 6 years from before because even if you get a job you stand a good chance of rinsing and repeating. So have you figured out what you think will be the best fit for you? What are you passionate about? What inspires you?

I would talk to recruiters, they can help market you for your. It may be that temp to perm is the best fit for you. At least in the US, it is not uncommon for us to see year gaps for people because of the economy. Yes, we will ask questions but it isn't a black and white deal breaker.

But I would really recommend for you a career counselor to help you figure out what it is you want to do, what you do best, and the work environment that would fit best for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Author

I made a post a while back about being unemployed and not applying for jobs for so many years because I was coddled by my parents. Originally, I wanted to fudge my resume to cover my many employment gaps but decided against it.

So shoot forward to now, I got myself a temp job for the time being while I'm applying for career jobs. Currently doing work in the mail-room sorting thousands of mail and also in the warehouse moving items. It's a 2 week contract but it could be possibly extended.

My question is: I'm about to apply for entry level careers that are non-sales/customer-service. Should I put this temp work in my resume? Would it harm my chances with the companies that I apply for because my job responsibilities are extremely basic?

Let me know your thoughts!