Tattoos... Yes? No?

I have a tattoo on my left shoulder. Its an orchid, about 2 inches wide or a little less.

I may get another small tattoo, but I'm not sure which one. No rush and if I never get one again, that's fine. But I'm still open-minded to consider another one.

I agree that tattoos should never be made on a whim. It should really mean something and have a lot of thought put into it. Oh, and don't get a tattoo of your boyfriend's name either.

As for guys turning me down because of that one small, feminine tattoo, yes, it will hurt. Sounds harsh and unfair to consider me trashy when there is so much more to me than that one spot on my body. But then again, I don't like sleeve tattoos on guys. I do like small or medium tattoos here and there on a guy, but sleeves are just too much.

Pearl, if someone is that superficial to judge you for your delicate and well thought out tatoo, then it's their loss.

Tatoos can be artistically done and well placed to express a persons taste. It doesn't need to be a walking billboard of information. Sometimes simplicity and minimal statements can be had from a tatoo.

A friend once said...remember, when you are eighty and being bathed someone is going to see that tat and comment....How would you like the comment to be?

Gives thought if nothing else....

• Like 1
Pearl, if someone is that superficial to judge you for your delicate and well thought out tatoo, then it's their loss.

Tatoos can be artistically done and well placed to express a persons taste. It doesn't need to be a walking billboard of information. Sometimes simplicity and minimal statements can be had from a tatoo.

A friend once said...remember, when you are eighty and being bathed someone is going to see that tat and comment....How would you like the comment to be?

Indeed and thanks!

thefooloftheyear

Dont care now and wont care then either...

TFY

As someone with a a lot of tattoos including a full sleeve, make sure you're doing it for you and not what females will think of you. I got them because I wanted them and they mean something to me. Some people will look at you differently like the nice lady who commented that her boyfriend and herself mutter "gross" to one another when they see people with tattoos but to each their own.

I've very conflicted about tattoos to be honest.

I understand the appeal, the identity, the individuality, the expression, the artistic aspect, but I real do not like tattoos on women. There is a very nice girl at work who has two huge pistols sticking out of her top - I can only imagine where they go under her clothing - she will have those for ever, when she is suckling her kids… it's scary.

I actually feel nausea when I see them - just like with weird body piercings - again I get it, the rebelling, the cry for identity, individuality, but it just makes me want to throw up.

Sorry, I'm a very old man...

No you don't get it lol. There is no hidden meaning to having tattoos. No cry for identity or some thirst for rebellion, I get them because I like them.

• Like 1
Now, I have always been against getting tattoos. I have resisted them my whole life because I didn't want to get them and be another conformist trying to pretend they are different, when really, they are just copying other people.. I'm also not about image.

But... several girls I've been seeing have told me I'd be irresistible if i got tatted up. An overwhelming number of suggestions. I asked on facebook and everyone said yes.

Backing up a minute, I have a bartender friend who has some cool looking tattoos and his are what got me thinking about it. I'm thinking about 2 sleeves and a neck tattoo.

What is everyone's opinion on this? I can't find anyone to say no on my Facebook. They only say I'd look hot or they'd want to jump me. lol So do I go for this irreversible change?

It just sounds as though on the one hand you don't want to be a conformist copycat who gets a tattoo because it's the thing to do...but on the other hand, you don't seem to be contemplating any reason beyond "other people think it's cool/sexy" for getting one.

I've occasionally found a tattoo attractive if I felt it gave me an insight into something a person values highly...but if it transpired that they'd only got it to be cool or to impress others I think my opinion of them would really drop. Putting a permanent mark on your body is a big deal, and to do it just because other people might have a passing "that's hot" thought about it just seems silly and a little desperate.

I remember the first time I saw what a friend of mine defines as a "whale tail" tattoo, my then bf said "you'd look really sexy with that. You should get one." I said there was absolutely not a chance in hell, and he was quite disappointed, but seriously....getting one's body branded like that just for somebody else's fleeting sexual attraction? If the only purpose in putting a picture on your body is to provoke a fleeting sense of attraction in people who are passing through in your life, then make sure the picture itself is temporary rather than something you'll be stuck with forever.

Heatemyheart89

I like tattoos but more and more people are getting them. I don't think they are that unique anymore. I hate following fashion.