My husband acts really weirdly.

• Author
Kolica, my heart and thoughts go out to you and your husband. It took much courage for you to talk with him about this, and even greater courage for him to tell you what's going on with him.

I hope that his is willing to be evaluated, the earlier the better. His comments regarding a death sentence are eerily familar as my brother spoke of the same, along with his hands "freaking" him out. If he is willing to draw for you what he sees it may help healthcare professionals help him.

It will be important that you start recording the things you've observed, and experienced, with him. We here have no way of knowing what is happening with your husband, and I certainly don't know. I can tell you that what you described made me catch my breath because your husband has used the same words and expressed some of the same things my brother did.

You will be in my heart!

Sorry to hear about your brother. How is he now? Thank you for your support.

• Author

I think my husband's situation is going even worse, from day to day.

Last night, he had panic attacks. We were sleeping, he left the bed which woke me, i saw him, it was scary scene, he was in the leaving room, having panic attack, fighting for breath, he fainted for short. I tricked him, i poured few sleeping pills in a juice, it forced him to sleep just before the dawn. He says he cant control it, and he said he would laugh at himself if he could. He never drinks alcohol, but he started to drink, he says it helps him, he could addict himself, this is getting more and more complicated.

Kolica, it isn't unusual to want to self medicate when something we don'tunderstand, or that we fear, is happening to us, but it rarely is the answer and may actually exacerbate the condition. Alcohol many times is the drug of choice to use to self medicate. Sleeping pills can be a dangerous option, even over the counter ones.

Please, urge him to be evaluated.

• Like 1

Have his therapist suggested any anti-anxiety medication? Do you know why this all started? It seems that his situation is serious enough that he needs some quick relief to function.

• Like 1
My brother experienced much of the same, down to his hands freaking him out. For him it was schizophrenia.

Reading the thread, your post stood out. This indeed does sound far beyond 'normal' psychological situations like anxiety or depression. He sounds mentally ill but is smart enough to mostly fight it but some leaks out. John Nash comes to mind.

OP, I know it's tough when you love someone, but be careful here. This kind of stuff will affect you too, and generally in unhealthy ways. IMO, he needs to be evaluated by professional and competent psychological/neurological team. When you noted symptoms of agitation/fear related to low light and that this has gone on as a teenager, alarm bells went off.

He won't want to be evaluated IMO, especially the psychometrics, if my experiences with paraphrenia were any indicator. I had to build a 5150 (danger to self or others) case as a backup.

How does your culture deal with people who are mentally/emotionally ill? I ask because it appears that English is your second language so our cultural norms here in the US may not apply.

Good luck and my sympathies.

• Like 1
  • Author
Have his therapist suggested any anti-anxiety medication? Do you know why this all started? It seems that his situation is serious enough that he needs some quick relief to function.

I am not even sure is he taking therapist, he just said he started to go at therapist. And when i start asking questions about, he asks me to change the subject, it bothers him.

• Author

I don't know why all started, he told me he doesn't know as well. He was perfectly normal. Then those jitters would show up at Sun set with no reason, then those jitters grew in to huge fears, depressions, and now panic attacks and who knows what else.

• Author
Reading the thread, your post stood out. This indeed does sound far beyond 'normal' psychological situations like anxiety or depression. He sounds mentally ill but is smart enough to mostly fight it but some leaks out. John Nash comes to mind.

OP, I know it's tough when you love someone, but be careful here. This kind of stuff will affect you too, and generally in unhealthy ways. IMO, he needs to be evaluated by professional and competent psychological/neurological team. When you noted symptoms of agitation/fear related to low light and that this has gone on as a teenager, alarm bells went off.

He won't want to be evaluated IMO, especially the psychometrics, if my experiences with paraphrenia were any indicator. I had to build a 5150 (danger to self or others) case as a backup.

How does your culture deal with people who are mentally/emotionally ill? I ask because it appears that English is your second language so our cultural norms here in the US may not apply.

Good luck and my sympathies.

Well my culture doesn't pick on "crazy" people of course, but my country had wars, embargo, which crippled economy, so state institutions for mental illness work like this "hmmm, this guy could be a threat to society, let's lock him up in a small room and keep him drugged until the rest of his life, we have no money for other methods." People make jokes about mental institutions, they are really bad. And i am not really willing to risk that he ends up there.

I thought i would never say this, at start i thought he was cheating on me, but when i realized it's psycho problems, i felt relief because he is not cheating on me, but watching him suffer like this, i would like more that he cheated on me than this.

He said he feels like he is losing control over his body, he tried to explain me, he knows of course that we breathe by diaphragm, but we have feeling that we breathe by our nose, so this thing creates fear in his mind that he could forget breathing, his own hands remind him that he is trapped in a body and this world, all kinds of most horrable fears and delusions that were triggered by fear, and now they create even greater fear and even panic attacks. And many other things that are happening to him he explained to me, after i bothered him a lot to talk to me today...

Well my culture doesn't pick on "crazy" people of course, but my country had wars, embargo, which crippled economy, so state institutions for mental illness work like this "hmmm, this guy could be a threat to society, let's lock him up in a small room and keep him drugged until the rest of his life, we have no money for other methods." People make jokes about mental institutions, they are really bad. And i am not really willing to risk that he ends up there.

I thought i would never say this, at start i thought he was cheating on me, but when i realized it's psycho problems, i felt relief because he is not cheating on me, but watching him suffer like this, i would like more that he cheated on me than this.

He said he feels like he is losing control over his body, he tried to explain me, he knows of course that we breathe by diaphragm, but we have feeling that we breathe by our nose, so this thing creates fear in his mind that he could forget breathing, his own hands remind him that he is trapped in a body and this world, all kinds of most horrable fears and delusions that were triggered by fear, and now they create even greater fear and even panic attacks. And many other things that are happening to him he explained to me, after i bothered him a lot to talk to me today...

That is a terrible situation to be in. No wonder why he is so reluctant to seek psychological help. Makes me wonder if it is possible to get good care in your country. But then it seems like that is the only thing you can do.