Jews and Kosher Meat

Can someone explain to me why Kosher meat has to come from a cow who has suffered great fear and pain? I do not understand how a religion could state that a certain product has to come from something that has suffered. Dont know what i am talking about? PETA just investigated a plant in Iowa that makes their cows suffer by ripping out their throats while they are upside down, and then lets them bleed to death. This makes me so ill.

This is a conflict of ancient tradition and modern regulations.

Orthodox Jews must eat animals that were 'healthy and living'.

As a result, they can't eat stunned animals. The animals have to be alive when you kill them.

The Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 forces slaughterhouses to kill animals upside-down, to avoid cross contamination of animal blood.

As a result, you're left with the gruesome practice of 'kosher slaughter'.

However, this isn't a case of monstrous Jews having special cruel meat that only they eat.

An Orthodox Jew also cannot eat the veins and arteries, and so slaughterhouses have to undergo the expensive proccess of removing them. Their solution is to only cut it out of the part that's cheapest to do so, labelling that meat as Kosher, but continuing to sell the rest of the meat to normal, non-jewish consumers.

"Although less than 5% of meat is labelled Kosher, as much as 500% of the animals are slaughtered as such."

-"Diet For A New America", John Robbins

Of course, but if they *were* stunned, they would not be able to feel the throat-slitting.

The more you know about food, the less likely you are to eat it.

They're only cows. That's my position.