Restaurant Meetups

irc333

With the recent talk of people going to Meetups on here lately, I have to say sometimes these restaurant events can be a bit awkward, but sometimes the organizers make it a point to encourage others to form a "semi-circle" with tables as opposed to the LONG table where everyone is lined up from end to end.

Then there's the attempt to sit next to the one you're attracted to, so everyone stands for 15-minutes before deciding to sit down at their designated spot.

But what's a guy to do if the woman he wants to talk to is sitting clearly on the other end of the table?

I've got to say that whole thing you described is a foreign concept to me. If you wanted to talk to someone, you wouldn't be so locked into one specific location at a bar or somewhere else. That'd probably be a better bet, this restaurant thing sounds very forced and not very conducive to actually meeting the girl.

But what's a guy to do if the woman he wants to talk to is sitting clearly on the other end of the table?

Get up, walk over to her side, sit next to her, and tell her your name.

Keep going to the meetups. Your 1st time isn't the same as your 5th or 10th time. Relationships develop over time and increase with familiarity.

Interesting logical concept here. So your intent was to figure out how to get to the girl you seek which after this shuffling you didn't end directly near you. Are you allowed to get up to more near here? Sounds like your not?

• Author
Interesting logical concept here. So your intent was to figure out how to get to the girl you seek which after this shuffling you didn't end directly near you. Are you allowed to get up to more near here? Sounds like your not?

Not if everyone is sitting in all the seats near her, once they are filled up, that's that. lol

It sounds like a microcosm for any larger social situation. If you see a woman you want to get to know, take the initiative of inviting her to have the seat next to you.

I've been pretty active in meet ups in the last year, but I'd have to say IME, none, even ones at restaurants, have ever been where you are assigned a seat and you MUST stay at the part of the table and only talk to the people immediately around you. And I am not sure I'd want to stay in such a group. I agree ones at restaurants can sometimes feel "limiting"which is why I find ones at night club bars to be much more "free" and easier to mingle.

I agree with the others though. Surely its ok if say, everyone eats, while chatting with people nearby, then gets up and mingles making rounds to meet others, you just have to kind of put yourself in proximity with the one you want to talk to. If she's at the meet up to meet people also, than just to introduce yourself gives you plenty reason to approach.

With the recent talk of people going to Meetups on here lately, I have to say sometimes these restaurant events can be a bit awkward, but sometimes the organizers make it a point to encourage others to form a "semi-circle" with tables as opposed to the LONG table where everyone is lined up from end to end.

Then there's the attempt to sit next to the one you're attracted to, so everyone stands for 15-minutes before deciding to sit down at their designated spot.

You get to the Meetup early enough so that you can choose your seat. Find a casual way to be standing next to or near her as you are taken to your table, so you can sit in a seat close to where she sits. Or sit right in the middle of the long table. From that vantage point, odds are you will be close enough to her that you can at least make some conversation, even if she is a couple of seats away.

Unfortunately at the restaurant Meetups you can kind of get hosed if you really want to talk to someone at the other end of the table because it is awkward to move around during the meal. But, you could suggest staying for a drink after the meal, and hope she bites. "Oh, we didn't get a chance to talk during dinner. Want to grab a quick drink or cup of coffee?" If she has any interest in getting to know you, she will stay. If she declines, odds are you don't have a shot.

It's funny, because I went to a restaurant meetup last night. There were 12 of us, and only 2 men, one of whom was my boyfriend. So, the other guy had the rapt attention of 9 single women. Afterward, my boyfriend and I discussed how funny it was that more men didn't attend, because it was such a great and easy opportunity to meet women.

It sounds like a microcosm for any larger social situation. If you see a woman you want to get to know, take the initiative of inviting her to have the seat next to you.

I dated a guy I met at a restaurant meetup and that's exactly what he did. He came to me and asked me to sit at his table. There were multiple round tables.

My advice is to not be so concerned about meeting girls there, it will come across as desperate. Just go and enjoy the food and talk to guys/girl/young/old/etc and be a social person and then over time you can maybe build up a connection with someone. Don't be that creepy dude that just is there to meet women and doesn't care about the event/restaurant/etc. Not all meetup people are single and not all are looking to date.

My friend dated a dude from a food meetup but he turned out to be super creepy/jealous and weird. Made it weird running into him after at food events.

• Like 1