I think my daughter's husband hits her.

Worst fear

Consult with a lawyer to see if its feasible to have guardianship of the grandson. The laws are varying contingent on the state of residency. Your daughter would have to also be willing to give up her rights....

A Child advocate for the courts would most like be assigned to give a report on the facts and what is best for the child(ren).

Most times though the courts will insist on family counseling along with moderated visitation.

My heart goes out to any grandparent who has only the well being of the grandkids at heart...the legal system isn't always fair or just towards this generation....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author

My oldest confronted her Saturday saying we all know he hits her, we could see bruises on her neck and chest. She said, "all boys hit, he's no different than anyone else." My daughters and I suggested she think about her children next time.

I'm baffled that she sees nothing wrong with this.

jimloveslips

Regrettably he probably saw it in his childhood and thinks its a normal response for a male

You could always try telling her that if she doesn't do something about it, you guys will go to court to have the kids removed.

Eh, it's even more concerning knowing there's a newborn in the picture. Maybe it's going to take him getting physical with one of the kids for her to finally realize how serious the situation is.

My oldest confronted her Saturday saying we all know he hits her, we could see bruises on her neck and chest. She said, "all boys hit, he's no different than anyone else." My daughters and I suggested she think about her children next time.

She believes the lies he's told her.

You may not be able to change a thing as long as she continues to believe his lies.

Eh, it's even more concerning knowing there's a newborn in the picture. Maybe it's going to take him getting physical with one of the kids for her to finally realize how serious the situation is.

Don't count on it.

OP my heart goes out to you. Sounds like you have confirmation that the abuse is happening but your daughter isn't "ready" to leave.

If you haven't done so already, you might talk to someone here: Help in Your Area « National Domestic Violence Hotline

They can give you expert advice on how to help your daughter to the greatest extent possible. I feel like anything you get second-hand from an internet forum at this point might be less than productive. You/your daughter's situation right now is VERY delicate; sounds like this might be a tipping point and a professional's insight on how to "tip" things in her own best interests would be most advisable.

Good luck. I hope for the best possible outcome.

• Like 1