where has it gone?

lizbeth

One day I woke up and all passion I'd ever had for my life had just disappeared. I've been to doctors, therapists, pyschologists over the course of a couple of months, and they all say the same thing 'Theres nothing wrong. Get over it'(in much nicer words of course).

But there is something wrong. I have absolutely no excitement for life anymore. I just go through the motions, but don't have any real emotions - there is no sadness, but there is also no happiness. There is just nothing.

Nothing corresponded with this change in me. There was no death of a loved one, no relationship breakup, no stress of any kind in fact. I just woke up one morning and there was nothing there.

I've tried to find new activities to excite me, but even a skydive left me feeling absolutely remote. I tried going on a holiday, but nothing changed - I was still totally emotionless. I don't feel anything for men now, so I have no desire to have a new relationship to spark me up. I've even changed my job, in the hopes of rediscovering joy in the company of new people and new challenges. But theres no change in me.

1. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

2. How do you get back that passion/emotion for life?

3. Can anyone give me any ideas on why this just happened

for no apparent reason?

I want my life back.

By the way, I am not on drugs at all and never have been, so that is not even a possible factor.

You have the classic symptoms of clinical depression. You can tell every doctor you have seen that I personally said they were 100 percent QUACKS!!!

A combination of psychotherapy and a brief period of taking mild antidepressants should do the trick. Clinical depression, of chemical depression, is depression caused by certain changes in the chemistry of the brain. It differs from reactive depression, which is caused directly by events such as a death or financial problems but quickly goes once the crisis is over.

As for why this happens, many people have a genetic predisposition to clinical depression. Like anything else, when the DNA says it's time to get clinically depressed, there you go. It can happen at any age. It's all about biology, family, timing, etc. You really don't need to be as concerned about that as making sure you get highly competent help, right away, to get you on the right therapy for this problem.

Please don't despair. Use your search engine to go to any good mental health website to read more about clinical depression. You will be absolutely amazed at how you will read your symptoms almost word for word.

I am just so happy you weren't having a heart attack when you saw those quacks. You would be dead.

I would print out what you find on clinical or reactive depression from sites on the Internet and report these doctors you've seen to your local government and medical authorities. To not be able to diagnose something so simple, they should NOT be in practice.

I went to one of the websites on depression and copied some of the symptoms of clinical depression. You can have one, some or all of them to be classified as depressed. If you read on down, you will see one of the symptoms is loss of interest or pleasure in previously enjoyed activities.

Remember, you don't have to have all of these symptoms. Also, your depression is in its early stages and other of these symptoms could appear at a later date. Get help now!!!

Physical Signs

Aches, pains, or other physical complaints that have no physical basis

Marked changes in appetite (weight loss or gain)

Change in sleep patterns (insomnia, early-morning waking, sleeps more than usual)

Fatigue, lack of energy

Emotional Signs

Pervasive sadness, anxiety ("empty")

Apathy (lack of feeling)

Decreased pleasure or enjoyment

Crying for no apparent reason

Changes in Thoughts

Feeling hopeless and pessimistic

Feeling worthless, inadequate, helpless

Inappropriate or excessive guilt

Impaired concentration, slowed or disorganized thinking

Forgetfulness, problems with memory

Indecisive, unable to make decisions

Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide

Changes in Behavior

Loss of interest or pleasure in previously enjoyed activities, including sex

Neglects personal appearance, hygiene, home and responsibilities

Difficulty performing daily tasks; ordinary tasks are overwhelming

Withdraws from people and usual activities; wants to be alone

Increased use of alcohol and drugs

I feel the same way you are describing now. I don't believe it is for no reason. I have encountered several disappointments in my life in a short time that I believe lead to it. I am trying to make changes that I think will lead me to a happier life(I hope!)

I went through a depression before and came out of it

so I am hoping it is the same this time around.

I went to a counselor about a year ago but I didn't feel

it was helping me that much. I am against the meds.

A lot of those medications have side affects.

I have lost the hope and ambition I once had and those

are both two important things in being able to improve

your life.

One day I woke up and all passion I'd ever had for my life had just disappeared. I've been to doctors, therapists, pyschologists over the course of a couple of months, and they all say the same thing 'Theres nothing wrong. Get over it'(in much nicer words of course). But there is something wrong. I have absolutely no excitement for life anymore. I just go through the motions, but don't have any real emotions - there is no sadness, but there is also no happiness. There is just nothing. Nothing corresponded with this change in me. There was no death of a loved one, no relationship breakup, no stress of any kind in fact. I just woke up one morning and there was nothing there.

I've tried to find new activities to excite me, but even a skydive left me feeling absolutely remote. I tried going on a holiday, but nothing changed - I was still totally emotionless. I don't feel anything for men now, so I have no desire to have a new relationship to spark me up. I've even changed my job, in the hopes of rediscovering joy in the company of new people and new challenges. But theres no change in me. 1. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

2. How do you get back that passion/emotion for life? 3. Can anyone give me any ideas on why this just happened for no apparent reason? I want my life back. By the way, I am not on drugs at all and never have been, so that is not even a possible factor.

Depression is a scary thing....I know, I've been through it. And you don't realize it until it's too late because you try your hardest to deny that you're not "one of them". I'm 26 years old, and I hit rock bottom a year ago, and lost 25lbs in 2 months (down to 107lbs). I cried and cried and I didn't know why and I just wanted it to go away. Silly thing is, I saw my mother go through the same thing, and I didn't understand it at the time, but I do now.

My promise to you: Things will get better.

But...you have to help yourself. I went to an awesome psychotherapist that didn't give me the answers, but let them find them myself. My friends did their best to be there for me, but since they couldn't understand they only got angrier as I got skinnier.

Know that their is an end to it. While I was prescribed all the drugs to take care of it, I'm not adament about letting my body and my soul take charge...yet others, like my mother, are forever dependant on drugs such as prozac.

It happens to the best of us, and happens to the worst of us. It doesn't discriminate. Don't let it get the best of you.

Hugs from afar..

-Beth