you will be bored here

That's probably true. I guess the frustrating part for me is figuring out how to get out of being pigeon-holed into a field I didn't want to be in.

If potential employers are telling you that you will be bored in the posted position, you're resume needs some shifting about- BUT it would be prudent to go over how you respond in an interview.

You are obviously getting the interviews (meaning they liked your resume enough to call you in)- but something is happening during the interviews that makes the potential employer think you're not a good fit for the job they are posting for.

Maybe how you interview is worth taking a look at?

I've hired, fired, and read thousands of resumes over the years. A resume gets you the call- but the interview gets you the job. I knew if I was going to hire somebody or not within 20-30 seconds of meeting someone.

What's going on in the interviews that makes the employer think you'll be bored?

• Like 1
No, no. He meant retail.

I see that now. I had this notion that he worked in banking or investment. People in that area often seem to refer to "retail" to define either what they do or the customers they work with.

It-is-what-it-is.
I wouldn't leave the retail off. Having everything on there will allow them a complete resume and w/o gaps.

An example: Toys R Us will request someone who can put together toys i.e. bikes, etc. But they will Want someone with sales experience, etc. along with the same job description.

He needs to leave off high school work. Ant retail that happened during college or after should be included, but because of removing high school it's impact is lessened. Plus high school jobs are irrelevant in post college application process unless the apply directly to the job.

Minimizing the retail is also done by converting the retail skills into cnperable job skills with a functional résumé, and using whatever industry lingo instead do retail.

I agree with d-lish you need to figure out how to answer the question, if you get interviews.

Good luck.

But remember. You should both customize your resume and prep for the specific job as well as review your résumé every couple weeks to keep it fresh and make sure there are no red flags that you missed.

• Like 1
He needs to leave off high school work. Ant retail that happened during college or after should be included, but because of removing high school it's impact is lessened. Plus high school jobs are irrelevant in post college application process unless the apply directly to the job.

Minimizing the retail is also done by converting the retail skills into cnperable job skills with a functional résumé, and using whatever industry lingo instead do retail.

I agree with d-lish you need to figure out how to answer the question, if you get interviews.

Good luck.

But remember. You should both customize your resume and prep for the specific job as well as review your résumé every couple weeks to keep it fresh and make sure there are no red flags that you missed.

I agree. Usually during the interviews, while you are selling yourself, you are often explaining what you did at current or previous jobs that will help you at the job you are applying for. The current industry I am in compared to retail is apples and oranges and I'm certainly not going to explain the 5 retail jobs I had during an interview and why I left. Plus, employers generally like resumes not to be longer than a page.

• Like 2
UpwardForward

I wasn't speaking of high school years in terms of work experience and gaps.

Since he's 25, it would be reasonable for a potential employer to want to know what he's been doing the past 5 yrs (the resume).

I wasn't speaking of high school years in terms of work experience and gaps.

Since he's 25, it would be reasonable for a potential employer to want to know what he's been doing the past 5 yrs (the resume).

True, but since it's against the law for an employer to ask your age (unless you're filling out an application that asks for it), he could be 20 or 22 for all they know until a job offer is extended. In the OP's case, he will need to list his current employer on the resume, but other than that, he can say he was a full time college student if there is question regarding employment gaps or etc. However, if you're in you're 40's looking to switch careers, an employer will obviously wonder about employment gaps. But even in those cases, resumes are meant to focus on your most recent experience and skills relevant to the job, unlike an actual job application that requires your full employment history.

• Author
fortyninethousand322
If potential employers are telling you that you will be bored in the posted position, you're resume needs some shifting about- BUT it would be prudent to go over how you respond in an interview.

You are obviously getting the interviews (meaning they liked your resume enough to call you in)- but something is happening during the interviews that makes the potential employer think you're not a good fit for the job they are posting for.

Maybe how you interview is worth taking a look at?

I've hired, fired, and read thousands of resumes over the years. A resume gets you the call- but the interview gets you the job. I knew if I was going to hire somebody or not within 20-30 seconds of meeting someone.

What's going on in the interviews that makes the employer think you'll be bored?

That's a good question. The first two times I heard the question, the only thing I can think of is that I didn't ask very many questions. Partly because I was nervous (I hadn't had much interview experience) but also because the job seemed pretty straightforward. The last time I heard this was a couple months ago. They mentioned it briefly but seemed to be less concerned about it by the end of the interview. I asked more questions that time and I ended up as one of the final two applicants they considered (even though I didn't get the job).

So maybe I need to make sure to ask a lot of questions?

Well, you can compile a list of questions to bring and it definitely looks good. Just do a google search for best questions to ask during an interview. Most companies I have interviewed with also ask if you have researched the company or taken a look at the company page.

I don't think they mean it because of your work history but probably pick up on your intelligence by speaking with you.

You do seem way too bright to work in a cubicle.

I'd take it as a compliment.

• Like 1
That's a good question. The first two times I heard the question, the only thing I can think of is that I didn't ask very many questions. Partly because I was nervous (I hadn't had much interview experience) but also because the job seemed pretty straightforward. The last time I heard this was a couple months ago. They mentioned it briefly but seemed to be less concerned about it by the end of the interview. I asked more questions that time and I ended up as one of the final two applicants they considered (even though I didn't get the job).

So maybe I need to make sure to ask a lot of questions?

Well, you need to go into every job interview with the personality of someone that is excited about the job you are applying for.

Whenever I've downgraded a position, I've been asked why- my answer to those types of questions has been the difference between me and someone else getting the job I want.

Someone telling you that they think you will be bored in the position is the interviewers way of ending the interview- but you can see it as an opportunity to tell them why you'd be an asset.

In this day and age, companies are looking for people "in it" for the long haul. If someone tells you they feel you would become bored with a particular position- you need to sell yourself, and explain why you wouldn't.

BeckyFontenot

It appears that you have not found where you are supposed to be yet. What city are you looking for a job in? I can keep my eyes peeled for you if you'd like...

• Like 1