Help with taking the GRE, please!

• Author
Originally posted by Dakini

Kooky - first, congrats on your scores! Yippee!

Second, it matters a great deal what type of program you are applying to. Either way, though, 750 is great!!!

And the verbal is not really too bad. Plus, having been on admission committees, we definitely took into account English as Second Language factor. As long as your TOEFL score reflects proficiency, I don't think it will matter at all.

So again, to what degree program are you applying?

Thank you!!! :) If I apply it will be for a PhD program as I´m getting my diploma now. I don´t know my TOEFL scores yet, I´ve been waiting all the time and I thought they would arrive today, but nada, and I still have to wait for the results of the essay. I think I scored high in the rest and that makes me wonder if this is a good sign or a bad, because if I have shown that I´m able to handle English at a reasonable level, shouldn´t I be expected to do better at the verbal section?? Anyway, I´m not in humanities, I guess, the analytical section might be more interesting for them....

And by the way, this I did bring ear plugs with me! :) The last time I went to take the TOEFL, the sounds of fingers hammering on the keyboards was a bit disturbing. When I took the GRE I took them with me and discovered they offer you ear plugs there and I just hadn´t realized it... :laugh:

Yay for ear plugs! By the way, your percentile is just as important as your actual score. For example, a 700 in the math section could equal the 85th percentile, where a 650 could equal the 90th percentile in the verbal. in general, at least for the years where I evaluated applicants, and the year I took the GRE (about 5 years ago) the verbal percentiles where higher for lower scores than both the math and analytical sections. In other words, the raw score is actually deceiving, as it is the percentile score that counts also.

And really, 510 is a very respectable score for someone with a non-English upbringing. In my field (architecture) we admitted foreign students with MUCH lower scores.

What specific PhD programs are you looking at? In the sciences?

• Author

Oops, sorry, I somehow missed this one out :o

Originally posted by Dakini

Yay for ear plugs! By the way, your percentile is just as important as your actual score. For example, a 700 in the math section could equal the 85th percentile, where a 650 could equal the 90th percentile in the verbal. in general, at least for the years where I evaluated applicants, and the year I took the GRE (about 5 years ago) the verbal percentiles where higher for lower scores than both the math and analytical sections. In other words, the raw score is actually deceiving, as it is the percentile score that counts also.

I think the percentila ranking for the verbal section is around 60 and for the math section it´s around 80. Still don´t know my scores for the analytic section. Btw, I got my scores for the TOEFL, I got 283 (computer-based) which is ok, I guess.

And really, 510 is a very respectable score for someone with a non-English upbringing. In my field (architecture) we admitted foreign students with MUCH lower scores.

Thanks a lot for cheering me up :love:

What specific PhD programs are you looking at? In the sciences?

I´m going to look for PhD programs in natural sciences, but right now I feel so brain-washed with my thesis that I just want to get some vacation. I want it so badly. :o