Embryos to be Screened for Cancer

bluechocolate

This has been a hot topic here today. In the papers, TV, radio, etc. Overall it seems to me that public opinion is against this type of screening. I just listened to an interview with a young woman in her 20s who is a carrier of this gene & deciding to have children. She is not going to have her embryos screened & will take the 50% chance & deal with the cancer when & if it happens.

I lifted this from an article on BBC News online bbc.co.uk.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3970519.stm

A team at University College London has been granted the licence to screen embryos for the gene that causes familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP). The gene can lead to the development of rectal or colon cancer in early teenage years.

The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) approved the screening following a request from couples seeking IVF treatment.

Scientists in London hope using the controversial technique could help to wipe out this type of cancer.

Embryos created using IVF can be screened using the pre-implantation genetic diagnosis process.

Then only embryos free of the gene will be implanted.

Dr M Tarannisi, director of the Assisted Reproduction & Gynaecology Centre in London, said

"We are still talking here about medical conditions that have serious implications (read the article for more info. about this cancer), but we are talking about conditions that are not going to be there at the time of birth. These are conditions that may or may not develop 20, 30, 40 years down the line. Is this the right thing to do?".

"......this should be put to a wider audience".

...so that's what I'm doing. Your thoughts?

(I debated putting this in the Current Events forum - maybe it should be moved there?)

I would not want to know. I would never screen my ovaries, embryos, or fetus for any disease or defect....other than the basic stuff, like sonograms and all.

I do not do selective breeding.

Plus i betcha all the tests they have to do probably Can Cause cancer formation in cells....like everything else!

I think it's a good thing, but I don't think I'd want it done.

The gene can lead to the development of rectal or colon cancer in early teenage years.

CAN. It doesn't say for sure, so I wouldn't want to take the chance of not giving life to my child when he or she might not even develop the cancer.

Do they kill the embryos that have the gene?:(

• Author
bluechocolate

Do they kill the embryos that have the gene?

I believe that in most IVF pregnancies there is more than one viable embryo. Once there has been a successful implantation the rest are destroyed.

Well I guess if there are already several embroys they might as well check to see which one is the healthiest in all areas before they implant it.

Go watch the movie "Gattaca" - I thought it dealt with this subject well.

Just because there is a chance doesn't mean it is going to happen. What if they find a cure or a way to keep the disease in check as they have with HIV? I'd always be wondering what might have been...