All my friends are getting married....

I understand this OP. Friendships/dynamics change when people get married. It's great people find the one, but it sucks losing friendships.

I've noticed that even some of my friends I see less because they are married or in serious relationships. I didn't have to think about this when I was in my early 20s.

I even sometimes limit myself around people who are married for the reason I feel like a third wheel when out of them. I had a married female friend, a good friend, invite me out at a salsa club with some mutual friends. I asked her to dance (very attractive but I've never made any advances on her) and she declined. How awkward was it to be invited out to a dance club and be denied? I hate dealing with this stuff at this point in my life but I realize I'm just not in the phase of life to be married. Unfortunately that creates a barrier between friends.

• Like 2

I've felt the same way for quite a while Lani. Doesn't seem to be anyway around it, once they are married and have kids you will see them a lot less. I have some I havent seen for 3-4 years even. I find my friends split into two groups, the married with or without kids, and the single party casual dating group. And I'm not really a fit with either :(

I found you can't do anything but just go with it. And ya being shy and uncomfortable around new people also, makes it tough to meet new people.

I don't really get this as just because someone's married, it doesn't mean you can't have friends/ need other people in your life. Especially with a 50% divorce rate, I would think people would still try to have platonic friends aswell. Or else your left with no friends when you really need it eg divorce, death of a spouse etc. I'd try and seek friendships with single people, sometimes I find married people completely forget what it's like to be single and can have little empathy for what you're going through.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
I don't really get this as just because someone's married, it doesn't mean you can't have friends/ need other people in your life. Especially with a 50% divorce rate, I would think people would still try to have platonic friends aswell. Or else your left with no friends when you really need it eg divorce, death of a spouse etc. I'd try and seek friendships with single people, sometimes I find married people completely forget what it's like to be single and can have little empathy for what you're going through.

This is true. Marriage shouldn't change how often you see your friends (as long as you're not going out with them to meet other guys/girls). I was never into the bar or clubbing scene, so maybe that's why it's not a big deal to me.