What made you religious.

loveregardless

that in explaining my beliefs about religion and spirituality, I am in no way trying to demean or dismiss the relevance and importance of "religion" to "people". Many people need a structured path, need definition, need absolutes, in order to feel comfortable with "spirituality". As long as the true purpose is the focuss, all paths that are not negative have the same potential to lead to enlightenment. I just believe that no one has the right to assert dominance over another person's path is all...because they are all intent upon leading to the same place. :) Whether you call it Heaven, Consiousness, enlightenment, or understanding, it is all the same thing!

• Author

I agree I wouldn't push my religion on somebody else so I don't expect anyone to do it to me... Although I have my own beliefs I am in no position to tell anybody that their beliefs are wrong or right.

I was raised in a very religious family but they took it too far sometimes, well alot of times. I understand being devout but it became obsession (still is for my parent's)....

When I was married, I took a break. Then when I got back into religion it was based on my bible study and beliefs, not "just because" I was raised in it. I'm of a different religion now than my parent's so that even makes my "break" from their ideas even cleaner.

As a Christian, I believe that accepting Christ is the way to heaven. I believe the bible is the infallible word of God. I believe prayer works and when I'm living right, I have the most wonderful peace (yes there are still problems in life and heartaches) that I've only found through my Christian faith. There are times when I question my belief and God but that's normal as in any relationship. I'd love for everyone to believe as I do and to know God and for us ALL to go to Heaven. I think Heaven is an awesome place, even more awesome than the Bible tells us, the Bible has to bring things to our frame of mind so albeit the description is wonderful, I believe it's more wonderful than our minds can imagine! I believe I'll see loved ones gone on before and I can't wait for that reunion!

Plus, I think God is awesome, yes bad things happen but I think it's great that He always us the free will to do good things or sadly, bad things.

I think Jesus is awesome too! For someone to suffer and do what he did is still hard for me to fathom!!

I don't expect anyone to believe as I do and if they don't, I love them anyway!

I have tried to be a good person according to my faith and failed recently BUT it's great to know that no matter if the people here on Eather don't forgive or forget, God has forgiven and it doesn't exist to Him!!

I love going to church, singing His praises, fellowshipping with others that feel the same way about Him and hearing His beautiful word read and taught from!!

I love my religion and am thankful I have it! :D:D:D:D

loveregardless

although the belief in the Christian "heaven" and "hell" is likewise something I do not subscribe to, it is precisely these sort of statements that irk me, no matter how innocent they may seem:

I believe that accepting Christ is the way to heaven.

I'd love for everyone to believe as I do and to know God and for us ALL to go to Heaven.

And I am not trying to attack Viv, or Christians at all, I am just merely making a comment on comments such as these:

By saying these things it is implying that

A: belief in the Christian God is the only way to "heaven"

B: that heaven is some sort of place where "good" people go

C: that hell is some sort of place where "bad" people go

D: that there is such a thing as a "good" or "bad" person

E: that there is such a thing as "good" and "evil"

F: that only Christians are "good"

Of all of the religions that I have studied and learned, Christianity is the only one that irks me to the brink of combustion. How can you believe something that close minded, discriminatory and elitist? Why is it that every other religion in the world can see their "teachings" and "writings" as just that, and Christians are completely convinced of their own righteousness...even though in comparison Christianity is an infantile religion. Not only that, but its a religion which most who follow it do not even know the true origins of. I am very respectful to all religions...and I respect the Christian faith itself...and I respect the POINT the bible is trying to make...but I do not respect its misinterpretation and squeing, its being taken out of context and the things that have been done in its name and in Jesus' name. Therefore in all honesty, I resent the the Christians who have, in their attempts to overtake the world with their supremist additude, have done nothing but persecute others, and blatantly spread libel and propaganda. There are some people who are Christian who I think are getting the whole POINT of the teaching, the whole POINT of the faith, but sadly, most are not, and therefore I have a HUGE problem with most of them. Mostly because I don't like being told I'm "bad" or "wrong" or "evil"...especially by a faith that murders, persecutes and discriminates more than any other religion in history. We think 911 was bad...take a look at history people...what has been done in the name of "religion" over time, specifically in the Christian religion, is far worse than what happened on that fated day. And still, so few of us see the point!

LR,

It's our belief. We are entitled to it. We believe it, and you don't have to. Even if it ergs you to hear it, it's truth to us....maybe not to you, but to us. Just like buddism believes in burning incence for their fat little buddy, that's just silly to us....doesn't erg me like our belief ergs you.

You may think that we deem ourselves, "Holier than thou", but in all honestly, we have come to realize that there isn't one greater than the next.

I'm sorry that it bothers you so, but it's up to you to believe it or not. We aren't pushing you into anything.

Sometimes I can't help but to think that we (here at LS) often get off topic. StoneHeather has been the victim of this a couple of times now. :D

She asked what makes us religious and we told her. If nothing makes you religious, then tell her that. I don't think it's an attempt to have a (yet another) debate started. She asked, we told. It's an opinion, how can it be wrong?!

I hope that my beliefs don't offend anyone. Yours don't offend me. I'll respect that.

HokeyReligions

Being an agnostic, it's been interesting reading over what brought each of you "to religion". I hope the topic can stay somewhat pure here -- maybe Loveregardless can spin-off her last post into a separate thread. That would be (has been) an interesting discussion too, but I think its going to seriously derail this thread! :D

As for me, I was raised (indoctrinated) to be a Christian. Protestant, Baptist, Church of Christ mainly. As an adult I had an experience that I swore was God-driven.

My husband and I had found a dog in a parking lot. He was tied to a fence with a thick piece of rope. He could sit, but couldn't lay down. No water, hot summer. He had a serious gash on his leg. We took him to an emergency vet and had him tested for heartworm. If it was positive, we would have him put humanely to sleep. If negative, we would find a way to care for him. It was negative. We thought we had a home for him, but they backed out right after we spent $300+ on his shots and medical care. We finally found another home for this dog (big white & black dog, about a year old and very loving) and the people adopted him.

We got a call the next day that "Joey" had got out of the yard and ran away. I left my job in the morning (after making a HUGE "lost dog" banner) and my husband and I went around the neighborhood putting up signs. We were hanging this huge banner beneath the sign for a church when my husband spotted Joey running across the lawn behind the church. I took off one way (I could still run then) and my husband got to the car and drove around the other side. We got Joey and he was safe and the family fixed the yard so he couldn't get out. He was very happy and well taken care of. In fact, that family rescued another dog not long after so Joey had a companion.

I digress - the whole time we were looking for Joey I was upset and crying and thinking that maybe if there was a God (I was questioning at this time) He would spare this dog's life and let us find him. I was thinking it and not actively praying. Well, being in the church and finding him suddenly there felt like a revelation to me. Like I could touch the air itself and send up sparks. We ended up going to that church the next Sunday and telling the preacher about it. He was very nice and very knowledgeable and helpful. Some time later we joined the church. I was even baptized there. The preacher was older and he was dieing of cancer and I was his last ever baptism. I was sincere when I was going through it. But the more involved I was in the church and the more preachers I talked with, the more unanswered questions there were and I left believing in God altogether.

But I can understand how some of you felt.

loveregardless

or any one person. I'm talking about the Christian church as a whole and the movements they have made, as a whole, and the statements that people who are Christian often make that irk me.

And just because the few people here on LS have CHANGED their views and started to accept that its ok for people to believe differently doesn't mean there had been so drastic change in Christianity...the majority of the Christians in this world do not believe so and have not changed at all.

And by saying that the Christian church has not pushed me or anyone else into anything is just completely untrue. That's the whole reason I have such a problem with it. Please don't make me start quoting and giving examples of the HORRIBLE things that the Christian church has done to its fellow human beings in the last 2000 years.

And in regards to your comment about Buddah and incense burning, this is PRECISELY what I am talking about...how can a person who doesn't even know a thing about Buddha, Buddhism, incense or meditation make a comment about something being "silly". I am not saying these things because I'm not of that particular faith, I am saying these things because the actions of the Christian church over the course of its existence has been all of the before mentioned things...including more evil than any of the dark or bad things they judge others for.

I know that because I am talking about Christianity that you and others are going to automatically assume I am attacking you personally. But that's only because, again, you are separating yourselves from everyone else in the world and categorizing yourself to the point that you cannot examine the religion, or any religion, unbaisedly and with an open mind ;to see its faults and it's strengths. But this is something I have noticed about most people in every aspect of their lives, examining anything with honest scrutiny and searching for real truth and the source of real answers, is to point the finger to far in our own direction. and we don't want that...Christians certainly don't want that. But there are always 4 fingers pointing right back at you for every one you point in another's direction. This is why I say that most people don't live in reality. Because they don't.

And those Buddhist you just mocked, where the ones who came up with the philosophy that all paths which are not negative have the potential to lead to enlightenment. What I didn't say before however, for the purpose of trying to remain "nice" about the issue...was that Christianity is far from being positive or supportive of other paths. Which in my opinion makes it very negative....and as I have supported by many quotations on many different occasions...you will never know the true meaning of the teachings you so violently defend or the true purpose of your path or your life, if you do not realize the narrow mindedness of the thinking patterns imposed upon you by such a dogmatic religion.

loveregardless

wasn't trying to get off topic. My apologies. But the question itself sparked debate because of the use of the word religion. I'm done now though. Even though I think it's a little strange to not allow a thread to be several things at once, as if ANY thread on this forum ever stays on topic. But I apologize to Stoney nonetheless.

First, I didn't mock anyone's religion. I respect what others choose to believe. It was just and example.

Second, We Christians are well aware of what fingers are being pointed at us, and you know what? They too can be forgiven.

Third, This isn't the thread to discuss this.....end of discussion.

loveregardless

you right. end of discussion.

So in answer to the thread:

I have been turned away from religion because of Christians. Apparently, so has Hokey, so has Papi, so has my bf, so has my sister, so has my aunt.... It's a shame really... I just thank God that I didn't let them ruin my faith as they do for so many others. :mad:

I was raised Catholic, though my Mom never attended church. My Grandmother however was a faithful Catholic and she dragged me along every Sunday. To me, as a small child, it was just a part of life I didn't care for (I hated getting up before dawn to go to those Masses).

Years passed. As I grew up, I stopped attending Mass. By the time I was ready to marry in my early 20's, I was totally lapsed. We had a church wedding against my desires, but it made the family happy.

A few more years passed. I worked with an evangelical Christian that I also became close friends with. I had a spiritual crisis, and converted to his religion, full immersion baptism and all, as did my wife. However, throughout sermons, bible study, fellowship meetings, I never felt quite like I fit in. I enjoyed the fellowship, but the spirit never connected, you might say. After the aforementioned friend claimed I wasn't trying hard enough, avoiding my family and former friends, I started to take a good look at what was going on around me. Noticed things I hadn't before about this church. Ended up taking my family and walking away. The church Elders came to my house to change my mind, but I refused. They still suggested I continue the tithe though. :p

After considerable thought on the subject of God and also about religion, I am now very comfortable being what I used to describe myself as a "non-practicing atheist." However, since I came here to LoveShack, I read an excellent post by Hokey that made me realize that the title Agnostic fit my beliefs better. And there you have my path.

Also, I would like to comment on this:

Originally posted by Moose

LR,

It's our belief. We are entitled to it. We believe it, and you don't have to. Even if it ergs you to hear it, it's truth to us....maybe not to you, but to us. [color=red]Just like buddism believes in burning incence for their fat little buddy, that's just silly to us[/color]....

Originally posted by loveregardless

[color=blue]And in regards to your comment about Buddah and incense burning, this is PRECISELY what I am talking about[/color]...how can a person who doesn't even know a thing about Buddha, Buddhism, incense or meditation make a comment about something being "silly".

Originally posted by Moose

[color=red]First, I didn't mock anyone's religion. I respect what others choose to believe.[/color] It was just and example.

This wasn't disrespectful? If you don't realize this, you've proved LR's point wonderfully.

I still say I wasn't showing any disrespect.....for example, if a Buddist where on this forum and he commented that being Babtized by dunking one's head under water was silly to him, I wouldn't take offense from that in the very least......besides, who are you two to suggest I insulted the Buddists if you're not Buddist yourself? Go to start another thread would you?

I have been turned away from religion because of Christians

when I read your posts, I get the feeling that you are reducing Christianity, which is based on a message of love ('love God and love one another,' was Christ's charge), to the actions of the human agents who are trying to spread this message.

their horrific acts shouldn't be confused with true dialogue with God/Creator through Christ, because those messengers are human, not supernatural. In the "name" of Christ, they've raped, they've killed, they've persecuted, they've stolen ... acting on their own misguided notions of doing "right" for God, and not being led by the Spirit.

your faith is your bond or connection with your Creator; your religion is the vehicle to express it and there is no right or wrong, or good or bad way to "do" it, because it's such a highly personal thing.

I'll shut up so I can get back on track now!

Just like Christianity believes in talking in tongues after being touched by their fat little buddy(preacher), that's just silly to us....

Was your comment completely derogatory. No, I wouldn't say so and I'm Buddhist. However, there are many things in Christianity that are done simply for the symbolism of the act and that is similar to the burning of the incense for Buddha. Your rituals may be different but they are rituals nonetheless.

Your rituals may be different but they are rituals nonetheless

hey! y'all forgot my favorites: worshipping Mary and praying to statues!!! :p

again, it all goes back to the vehicle that you use for your dialogue with your Creator.

HokeyReligions
Originally posted by loveregardless

although the belief in the Christian "heaven" and "hell" is likewise something I do not subscribe to, it is precisely these sort of statements that irk me, no matter how innocent they may seem:

And I am not trying to attack Viv, or Christians at all, I am just merely making a comment on comments such as these:

By saying these things it is implying that

A: belief in the Christian God is the only way to "heaven"

B: that heaven is some sort of place where "good" people go

C: that hell is some sort of place where "bad" people go

D: that there is such a thing as a "good" or "bad" person

E: that there is such a thing as "good" and "evil"

F: that only Christians are "good"

These are things I was taught to believe. That is why there are Christian missionaries throughout the world -- to spread the 'word of god' and indoctrinate others into believing and worshiping the Christian god in whatever way the missionaries are representing. For many Christians, there is no one else in heaven but other Christians. people of other faiths -- any other faith -- are going to burn in the everlasting flames of eternal hell and damnation. This was hammered at me the whole time I was growing up. It was called putting the Fear of God in one. FEAR OF GOD. What a reason to worship! Many people still believe this way and live their lives this way. My mother is one. That is fine for those who want to live that life, but it doesn't carry over to ALL Christians.

I would be curious though, for all the people who go to church -- take your preacher aside this Sunday and ask him (or her); are their Buddhists in Heaven? Jews? Agnostics? Are these people somehow not as good as *I* am because they don't believe in God like I do? Where in the Bible does it state that Heaven is exclusive to Christians only, or Christians and Jews only? Is Heaven segregated in some way? [color=darkblue]Do animals go to Heaven? (you'd be surprised at how many different ways preachers interpreted the same Bible passages to support their answer to THAT question!)[/color]

I'm not saying it be contrary, but I would be curious about what each of your preachers would tell you.

It wasn't Christians that led me away from God, but more of a gathering of information from many, many sources that led to my enlightenment and decisions about divinity, religion, spirituality, and human-kinds interpretation and action regarding those same things.

HokeyReligions
Originally posted by Pocky

Just like Christianity believes in talking in tongues after being touched by their fat little buddy(preacher), that's just silly to us....

Only one or two of the christian churches I went to growing up believed in 'tongues'. Many christian churches don't believe it or follow it.

The first time I was in a church and heard someone speaking in 'tongues' I was absolutely amazed! I remember years later thinking that maybe it was a form of Turrets {sp} Syndrome. Yet, many DO believe in it.

• Author

I saw talking in toungs once at a church and it freaked me out and I never went back I deffinatly don't knock it but I will never try it.... It's not for me :)

I also have explored other religions in the past and absolutley support everyone in every diffrent religion. I found one that I believed in and I stick to my beliefs.

I can however understand SOME religions can shove religion right down your throat. I let a particiluar religion in my home once ( they went door to door) and once I did that they we're there every other day, like car salesman! I finally had to be rude and tell them never to come back.

I've been in christian churches all my life and have never seen anyone speak in tongues. I've read a little bit about it in the BIBLE, but have never experienced it for myself. :o

It's in the Scriptures.....whenever someone feels lead to speak in tongues, someone would also be lead to be the "Interpreter" at the same time. I've experienced it, and it scared me.....I think at this particular Church it was faked. But that's only an opinion.

stupid question time: speaking in tongues. The same as speaking in a foreign language that the listeners don't know the vocabulary to, or something completely different? I never knew what it referred to, for sure.

I understand that it's one way people openly express their faith, but to be honest, I've only ever felt comfortable with the introspective kinds of faith, like prayer and meditation. I still get uncomfortable when someone brings up spirituality, because often we can be talking about the same things, but because the terminology is different or because that other person isn't or hasn't gotten to X point in his or her journey, it's hard to be sure what you say makes sense.

trying to explain your Catholic belief to a Protestant is like trying to learn to speak an exotic language that only a handful of people know. I know that there are many different things to unite us in our believes, but still, I have had people say to that Catholics are not Christian! Very hard to explain to get them to understand that the Catholic Church was the first organized attempt at Christianity, that it's been around Peter was given the keys to the kingdom.

other really hard thing is trying to reconcile the belief that only X group gets the privileges of heaven. The way I see it, only God knows for sure who makes it and who doesn't. Just because you profess Jesus doesn't mean you accept him or live as he asks; inversely, just because you haven't heard of the guy doesn't mean you're excluded! I don't think God wants any of us parted from him, regardless how we believe ...

bluechocolate
from quankanne

stupid question time: speaking in tongues. The same as speaking in a foreign language that the listeners don't know the vocabulary to, or something completely different? I never knew what it referred to, for sure.

Years ago my mother went through a born-again phase when she rediscovered God & I went along to a few Pentecostal gatherings with her once. The speaking in tongues is someone is overcome by the Holy Spirit & begins speaking in a different language. My understanding is that it is usually an ancient language & it is not a real experience unless there is also someone else present who can interpret to the congregation what the speaker is saying. Ironically, the Miracle at Pentecost was that though many speakers were present speaking different languages everyone present heard & understood in their own tongue what was being said.

Thankfully she moved through that phase and is now back in the Catholic Church and much calmer for it! I went to a few other of these Pentecostal gatherings with her & they gave me the heebie-jeebies.