What made you religious.

For many, Buddhism isn't a religion at all, simply a way of living. In my experience, Buddhists are nicer and less judgemental than Christians--but I've known more Christians, so perhaps my demographic is skewed.

Originally posted by loveregardless

I have been turned away from religion because of Christians.

Sadly, so have many.

Somewhere between 4 BC (or whenever JC was born :p) and 2004, Christ's message has gone from a church of inclusion and outreach to a social club of exclusion and hatred.

loveregardless

that was all I was trying to say. I don't think the religion itself is bad, I told you...I respect all religions, but the humans who call themselves "Chrisitans" and use the title as a venue to do awful things to other humans...is exactly my point and problem with it. Especially considering that most of them base their faith on one of the many innacurate interpretations of the biblical text and the squed ideas that the different denominations have added to the stew...did you know that the word heaven was never once used to describe an actual place that people go...it meant the sky...the word "heaven" or "heavens" NEVER meant a place where all good Chrisitans go. It is something "Christians" have created by thier own misenterpretation.

Anyway...the reason why I got so mad yesterday was because no matter how pink you paint it (as tiki would say), when you say something like, "I wish everyone believed in the Christian God so they could all go to heaven."...it is not a nice or respectful comment to make...it is literally saying, "I respect you, but you aren't Christian so you are bad and bad people go to hell." That's my problem with "Christians"...because that is not a part of the Christ following faith, it is another squed idea that THEY created, not GOD!

Which pretty much sums up the entirety of what we call "Christianity" today does it not; squed misenterpretations and twisted doctrines used to discrimnate and categorize others, placing themsleves on a pedestal above all humanity. If Christ were to be alive today, he would be ashamed of the things done in his name and the direction this religion has gone. He never wanted any of this, he was a devout Jew, he wanted people to worship God and to do as he did, and work towards their own enlightenment....not start a new religion worshipping him.

And thank you to Pocky and Stoney and Patient One and Quannane and Dyer, too for making me feel better about yesterday. It was absolutely wrong for you to tell me conversation over Moose. By the way, I like to see that this thread hasn't gone off track any. :laugh:

I really just think the biggest problem is ignorance when it comes to diverse religions. Making assumptions and judging a religion when one doesn't have any understanding of that religion is disrespectful. It's disrespectful in a sense that one would cast judgment over something they have no knowledge of. For example: Not all Buddhist's worship Buddha or believe that Buddha is God (creator). When I hear people making assumptions regarding religion it irks me a bit - but then most ignorance irks me a bit.

The same could be said for those who categorize ALL Christians with those who use the denomination to rob, rape and kill.

I certainly don't.

loveregardless

Moose you know I think you are a good man! Please don't even pretend like I am trying to say that all people who are Christian are rapists, murders or robbers. That wasn't my point at all...

But the majority of the followers over the past 2,000 years have contibuted to these behaviors, and the majority of the Christians today do not believe as you do. You have a much wider view than most, because you make an attempt to be openminded and to learn about others. I respect and adore that about you...I never meant to imply that you are somehow a bad person because you are a Chrisitian.

But as a whole, the religion does judge others with no knowledge of what they are judging, and as a whole the history of the actions of "Christians" is devestating. That's what I have been saying this entire time is that it is the fundamnental teachings of each and every religion that is the point anyway...not the specifics. But Christianity more than any other religion has taken the specifics and tried to translate the teachings into literal fact, which has led to self discrimnation and purposeful seperation of themselves from every other human on the planet.

And it frustrates me to no end, that truly good people such as yourself, feel that you must DEFEND the Christian church and other Christians as apposed to defending the teachings and the goal of the faith. If that was the main focus of what I felt most "Christians" were concerned, the issue would be mute. But it's not the main concern is it? Honestly...the main concern is accept our interpretations, or go to hell.

But you know I think you are a good man so please don't even pretend otherwise. :o

The same could be said for those who categorize ALL Christians with those who use the denomination to rob, rape and kill.

Hmm..let me think about that..

I really just think the biggest problem is ignorance when it comes to diverse religions.

Yeah, I think "diverse religions" covers Christianity. :p Just giving you a tease, Moose. :)

loveregardless
most ignorance irks me a bit.

I cannot fathom ignorance. I read a quote the other day that made a lot of sense to me. It said that as people grow up they form a "map" to carry with them that includes all of their knowledge, beliefs, morals, etc. But some people once they reach a certain age, get tired of adding and chaging the map, and therefore decided that their map must be complete and that there is no further need for change-ever. I am a person who feels that my map must constantly be changed, until the end of my life. Because it is impossible to absolutely know anything, because it is impossible to know everything! But so many people do not even want to talk about their maps, let alone change them in any way. That's why I get on so mnay peoples nerves, because I don't have some definite and absolute stand to take on an issue, only comments to make on seeing all sides of the issue. I never take personal offense to questioning or serious discussion, because I know that everyone in the world and every philosopher, teacher, writer can have some affect on my map. I want that input, I want that discussion, I want my map to be the best map it can be, and I never want to give up on myself and my potential betterment. But for some reason, people don't understand that. They somehow think that searching for something means they must be lost. But I don't see it that way at all, I rather be searching my whole life that standing still and going nowhere. :(

I didn't post what I did for you LR, or Pokey....I was just making a point because noone brought up the fact that not ALL Christians are the way that you described.

I apologize if you took it any other way....you know I love ya both.

loveregardless

I love you to death Moose. I hate even getting itno Christian oriented discussions, only because I hate getting into it with YOU. But it's something I feel EXTREMELY strongly about...and so do you...so here we are again. But I still reserve the statement that you are not like MOST Christians my freind. That's why you facinate me so. But I also know, that no matter how agravated you may get or how much we got at it with one another...you know EXACTLY what I am talking about. :o

I apologize if you took it any other way....you know I love ya both.

I knew you weren't posting it directly to my statement, which was why I made the tease comment. I was just putting in a little lighthearted-debate flirtation for you. I have to tease you or you might think with all my opposite viewpoints that I didn't like you. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm...I wouldnt label this how I found God, but more how I lost God and found myself.

I've had an interesting life, and was sometime around the age of 18 became a hard core Christian, or at least tried. I went to church, read the Bible constantly...somehow there was still something missing for me inside. I felt unsupported as a strong woman and torn about some of the values that were placed upon me. I found a lot of pew warmers and people who went to church, not because they believed, but because its what was expected of them. One day after listening to other followers carry on about a womans place, I decided I had had enough... fell out of church and abandoned my faith. I fell long and hard and flat on my face. This went on for about 2 years, I became addicted to drugs and had given up on myself. One night I was put into a situation where I was almost murdered with a good friend and I remember in those moments thinking that I needed to become whole again spiritually, even if christianity wasn't for me. I also realized I had a lot of work to do on myself. And from that day forward a quest had begun. A year and a half later I am sober, back in college with honors, I've lost 60 pounds, and am in a committed relationship for the first time in my life. I guess I wanted to post because there are some of us who are these incredibly spiritual beings who have found themselves once again, although not in the traditional christian sense, and are experiencing such happiness. I may not believe in God, but I believe in myself and the power and beauty of the universe that surrounds me.

I'm not sure if anyones read the Celestine Prophecy, but that book has had the biggest impact on me in recent times. I am free of the traditional religions, and had tried to steer clear of the labels/organized religions. I prefer to think for myself and use my own feelings to choose what is right. My bookshelf pretty much includes anything I find inspirational.

I wish you all a beautiful day!