Parents: Happy and Not-so-happy

Parents - Please tell me what advice you'd give someone who was on the fence about having kids. I am a quiet/introverted person that likes kids (I like their energy actually, their spontenaity, their silliness, but can only take so much of them before they wear me out) and is longing a bit for more meaning in my life, but at the same time am really don't like chores and routine and worry that I'd end up resenting all the sacrifices of time and energy a child would take up. For those of you especially that weren't sure before you took the plunge--what advice would you give someone who was on the fence?

Love = Sacrifice, sometimes until it is painful.

Love = Putting others needs above your own

Love = Joy in another joy

Love = Giving when you might not receive.

People talk about unconditional love - but the closest you will find is for a child.

Routine and chores are a part of having a child. It is not work when it is love.

Edited by dichotomy
  • 2 weeks later...
melodicintention

Baby sit someone's kid(s) for a few months and see how you feel. That typically always made me not want kids when I was younger. I'm 41 and still "on the fence" so to speak as well. I think I have a few more years to decide. I"m introverted always my head in producing music and art and I think I have no patience. But, I'm thinking...move mom in! Let her help. Maybe you could do the same?