Getting married next year, but constantly fighting

Almond_Joy
Thank you guys for all your replies, I will definitely keep it in mind.

Looks I have a tough decision to make

It sounds like you already made a decision and she did too, but because it's uncomfortable to follow through on you two are sort of staying in limbo to see if things will magically change if you keep on the path you're on.

You both have a right to have certain fundamental requirements for a relationship. They don't align right now.....just because that hurts to realize doesn't mean you should sweep it under the rug or put it to the side.

If you two really want to stay committed to each other, then extending the engagement is a really great idea. But really the only way I see this working out is if one of you changes your stance on religion. Do either of you really want to put a timeline on a change like that? That change may never happen, and you'll be stuck in this same situation again later on feeling a pressure to marry when you two are still incompatible on something so important.

I think you two should make a clean split.

• Like 1
LovelyLife

I broke off an engagement two weeks before my Wedding of two hundred guests in my early 20's. Religion is like money, politics, social justice, relationship roles, and approach to child rearing. It impacts the five things I listed after religion.

I've never looked back or regretted saving myself from a divorce.

Better for you both to be single than sorry. I'm sorry - I know it hurts to read - but you are going to have to be the man here and speak up for BOTH of you.

It took 12 years but I found another person raised in Christian Sect that found a home in the UU Church. You will both find someone and be happier without this conflict in your marriage.

• 2 weeks later...
Fromoutofnowhere

Don't do man... At least not right now. Go out and experience more of life. Marriage is never an answer to relationship issues, it's an amplifier. If you're having issues on this level already, imagine what it's going to look like when you're legal bound together. Please don't do that to yourself.