Girls:Is it common to keep #'s of guys you used to date?

soccerrprp
I understand the rationale for keeping the numbers, but don't want any accidents. You know, accidental text, accidental phone call to an ex....also, I have a policy....if there's a number I don't recognize, I don't answer it. If it's important, you'll leave a message with name and purpose.

And, ooooh.....one other thing. I can be a tad bit weak at times. So, if I delete ALL signs of an ex......and I'm hit with a touch of mischievousness or weakness, there's no way for me to follow through with any form of communication. Good for me and for the ex....:)

How many will keep numbers of a guy you called it off with after a few dates, thinking you may want to give it a second chance down the road? There is a girl or two I'd love to hear from in 6 months saying the time just wasn't right, but I know it's pretty unlikely.

I did. It didn't work, a few months later... and it had all the reasons in the world to. My theory (proven) is: if it didn't work the first time, you're wasting your time the second time. And the third time. That's my new theory - make better mistakes tomorrow!

serial muse
I rarely delete numbers from my phone. It's just something I don't think about.

Yeah, this describes me as well. Ages ago, when I was still dating my now-H, we were playing around with each others' phones and he saw some ex names in my contacts and was like hey now! So I just deleted them at that point; hadn't really bothered or thought about it before.

Basically, I'm just lazy, like Archgirl said. ;)

xpaperxcutx

I'm lazy with numbers but I still try to make it a point to delete numbers of guys I used to date. First of all, I'm not into collecting numbers Maybe it used to be we had talked or texted alot when we were dating, but I don't have much hangups to keep those people around in my life.

Subsequently, I have had exes contact me after a long time has passed. If it's in text, I choose to ignore them. If they call me, I choose to block them. I always feel they have ulterior motives to call me and I don't feel like i should waste my time with them.

True. But why would you respond or answer your phone from numbers you don't know? I almost never unless I expect a phone call in advance. If its from someone important and they really need to contact me, they should leave a voicemail telling me who they are.

Because I use my phone for work too... and my work can be pretty fast paced and competitive. If I let it go to voicemail, it is not ideal.

Here's a question, OP. do you destroy all pictures of exes too?

I don't. I certainly don't have them up on my walls, but I don't destroy them.

Same thing with the numbers. I can't imagine ever calling them. But I have no reason to get rid of it either.

• Author
Here's a question, OP. do you destroy all pictures of exes too?

I don't. I certainly don't have them up on my walls, but I don't destroy them.

Same thing with the numbers. I can't imagine ever calling them. But I have no reason to get rid of it either.

Point taken. But I don't think both cases should be compared equally. You're comparing apples to oranges. I don't destroy or delete photos, they represent a moment/history in a part of my life that makes me who I am. I think keeping a contact of someone you went on a few dates with a different story. Keeping contacts of long-term exes are acceptable.

I don't think her and that guy had a nasty ending. Just the fact that she dated us both initially at the same time and found me more compatible and chose to drop things with him so our relationship could grow and become exclusive.

Point taken. But I don't think both cases should be compared equally. You're comparing apples to oranges. I don't destroy or delete photos, they represent a moment/history in a part of my life that makes me who I am. I think keeping a contact of someone you went on a few dates with a different story. Keeping contacts of long-term exes are acceptable.

I don't think her and that guy had a nasty ending. Just the fact that she dated us both initially at the same time and found me more compatible and chose to drop things with him so our relationship could grow and become exclusive.

Hmm... to me they are the same... they both represent a connection with someone in the past.

Please keep in mind that if someone really wants to get in touch with someone, or step out on someone, they will find a way. Also nothing stopping the ex from calling them.

todreaminblue
Just curious because while me and my gf was out yesterday, she told me this guy she had dated a few times before me had called her yesterday. She didn't pick up but he left a voicemail. Then she showed me his name on her missed call log. Granted she was trying to make me jealous.

I know it's common to keep Ex's in address books but what about people you've dated briefly?

no if its brief ....i dont think its normal to keep numbers of dates ....deb