What do you pray for?

TheFinalWord

My prayers depend on what is going on. I have a relationship with the Lord and am real about what I need help with, what I am thankful for, and what I am feeling.

Usually, I ask for his strength to do what I know what he wants me to do. Or, if I don't know what to pray for, I tell him I am trusting him and I need help. A few times, I have said I can't take it anymore and need his intervention. I have experienced God directly intervene (on more than one occasion, practically instantly).

Sometimes I just like communion with the Holy Spirit, and will thank him for all he has done. Often, I pray that God will show his love to various people. I have prayed for many people on this forum that ask for it :) (and some that don't).

• Like 4
pureinheart
My prayers depend on what is going on. I have a relationship with the Lord and am real about what I need help with, what I am thankful for, and what I am feeling.

Usually, I ask for his strength to do what I know what he wants me to do. Or, if I don't know what to pray for, I tell him I am trusting him and I need help. A few times, I have said I can't take it anymore and need his intervention. I have experienced God directly intervene (on more than one occasion, practically instantly).

Sometimes I just like communion with the Holy Spirit, and will thank him for all he has done. Often, I pray that God will show his love to various people. I have prayed for many people on this forum that ask for it :)(and some that don't).

Funny, just now in my life remembering to pray for strength, because man do I need it!

Well, I've asked you for prayers and you offered when I didn't have the mind to ask (so stressed out) and I can directly relate the outcome to your prayers. It was a transforming experience concerning issues that I've dealt with most of my life and had been hindering my walk...gone- poof- healed. The burden that was lifted was so amazing that I've never felt so light and free. Thank you TFW:D

Another member without asking spoke a word over some surgery I was about to have for a hernia. The surgery turned out to be more complex as I had two instead of one and they were priddy bad (I procrastinated bigtime getting it taken care of). Directly upon waking from the procedure I was wayyyy alert and got up laughing and happy as heaven...walked out of the hospital on my own and the nurses tripped. I know it was because of her spoken word.

Just to know- I keep you guys in my prayers a lot.

I appreciate when people put themselves out there to be used by God- obedience is better than sacrifice:)

Thank you, for giving to the Lord...I am a life that was changed. Thank you for giving to the Lord, I am so glad you gave:)

• Like 3
pureinheart
Sun Devil,

Unfortunately, there are times that I can relate to losing faith during the disheartening moments that I don't understand God's plan. But answered prayers come after a lot more than just shouting out to God. God can only really hear us when we've accepted Jesus, and repented of our wrongdoings. Without those actions of faith, our prayers will continue to go unanswered.

This poem reminds me about the consequences of not having active faith:

Butt Prints in the Sand

One night I had a wondrous dream,

One set of footprints there was seen,

The footprints of my precious Lord,

But mine were not along the shore.

But then some stranger prints appeared,

And I asked the Lord, "What have we here?"

Those prints are large and round and neat,

"But Lord, they are too big for feet."

"My child," He said in somber tones,

"For miles I carried you alone.

I challenged you to walk in faith,

But you refused and made me wait."

You disobeyed, you would not grow,

The walk of faith, you would not know.

So I got tired, I got fed up,

and there I dropped you on your butt."

"Because in life, there comes a time,

when one must fight, and one must climb.

When one must rise and take a stand,

or leave their butt prints in the sand."

Pie, this is awesome! God isn't some magic genie in a bottle only there to serve our every desire.

Oh andddd, another member prayed that God would send a helpmate. After she spoke these words my heart began to change. I had a really bad attitude towards relationships (in my case)...it's just awesome!

• Like 2
I am getting support, but nothing I do works on women. If there is a god, I refuse to follow him

:( Sorry for your anguish. I hope one day both doors opens for you.

Take care,

Eve x

• Like 1

No kind and loving god would do this to anyone. I am at the point where I don't fear death. I am sick of unanswered prayers and if something does not happen soon, I will take fate into my own hands.

Sun Devil - Not sure there is anything to be said other than to advise you to see your Doctor and explain the feelings and thoughts you have been having.

There is probably nothing more dangerous than to give over your power to something which you do not believe in. Your GP can help to find someone who will devote time to listen to you and who will not take offence at what you say.

Take care,

Eve x

TaraMaiden
No kind and loving god would do this to anyone. I am at the point where I don't fear death. I am sick of unanswered prayers and if something does not happen soon, I will take fate into my own hands.

OK. Well if that works for you , be sure to let us know how it goes.

I'm with you on the Divine logic BTW. I'm not sure how that's supposed to work either....

Sun Devil

I found a site that is filled with people who lost their faith. I have come to the conclusion that god is not real and religion is created to control people.

To Eve, when I mean take fate into my own hands, I mean ending my life on my own terms. If I dont experience love, then I am taking my own life. I no longer fear death. It is simply the end of existance

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Author
I found a site that is filled with people who lost their faith. I have come to the conclusion that god is not real and religion is created to control people.

It ain't controlling ME bub. I'm definitely still calling my own shots here. I've just chosen to go out on that limb and have a little faith. Ok, a LOT of faith. None of this can be proven.

To Eve, when I mean take fate into my own hands, I mean ending my life on my own terms. If I dont experience love, then I am taking my own life. I no longer fear death. It is simply the end of existance

I know you addressed Eve, but I'm going to rudely chime in here and say to you that I really REALLY hope you will choose another path. None of us has any guarantee that others are going to love us back, but we love anyway. You're not the only one who feels unloved. Whenever I feel like that, I just keep going. It's just a season. It will pass. Everything will change eventually, if you just keep going. Hang in there Sun Devil!! (You remind me of the windsurfers in Florida.) Even if you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

• Like 1
angel.eyes

Agreed. I'm glad that we are allowed to practice our faith without interference from the government. It's such a blessing not to have to live in fear of persecution, retribution, or worse.

The proclamation references the law requiring this. Apparently, this has happened annually since 1988! Who knew!?!

• Like 1
BetheButterfly
I'm glad that we are allowed to practice our faith without interference from the government. It's such a blessing not to have to live in fear of persecution, retribution, or worse.

100% agreed! :) I wish all countries had this freedom.

The proclamation references the law requiring this. Apparently, this has happened annually since 1988! Who knew!?

Cool! :)
  • Like 1

Doesn't anyone else besides me think God gets tired of us mortals constantly pestering Him to get us out of our messes?

If it's worth praying for, you need to stop feeling helpless and get off your patoot and do it yourself.

• Like 2

Dude, if you are so unhappy and miserable being single, God magically giving you girlfriend is not going to cure you of your emotional issues, trust me.

TheFinalWord
Doesn't anyone else besides me think God gets tired of us mortals constantly pestering Him to get us out of our messes?

If it's worth praying for, you need to stop feeling helpless and get off your patoot and do it yourself.

I hear what you are saying. Why would God even care about us mere mortals if He is all powerful? You're not the first to ask that; many scriptures deal with that topic. This is where a lot of our reverence for God comes from. Not only does he care about us, he died for us. It is humbling, if you know the Lord.

The bible indicates that God never wearies. He has an infinite nature, so there is no need to worry that he grows tired of hearing from his children. He actually delights in our prayers and longs for a relationship with us.

A song of ascents.

I lift up my eyes to the mountains—

where does my help come from?

My help comes from the Lord,

the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot slip—

he who watches over you will not slumber;

indeed, he who watches over Israel

will neither slumber nor sleep.

The bible does state that there are actions that can hinder our prayers: unforgivness, a husband that treats his wife like trash, spiritual warfare, false worship.

“The multitude of your sacrifices—

what are they to me?” says the Lord.

“I have more than enough of burnt offerings,

of rams and the fat of fattened animals;

I have no pleasure

in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats.

When you come to appear before me,

who has asked this of you,

this trampling of my courts?

Stop bringing meaningless offerings!

Your incense is detestable to me.

New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations—

I cannot bear your worthless assemblies.

Your New Moon feasts and your appointed festivals

I hate with all my being.

They have become a burden to me;

I am weary of bearing them.

When you spread out your hands in prayer,

I hide my eyes from you;

even when you offer many prayers,

I am not listening.

Prayer has many functions: reverence, thankfulness, reflection, spiritual growth, wisdom, understanding...intervention, which you have selected, is only one aspect of prayer. As Christians, we believe that God is our Father. Prayer is similar to a child talking to their parent; it is meant to be personal, truthful, real...stating that we can not make our requests known to God is a bit like telling a child that they should not go to their parents for help and guidance. However, the guidance and parental nurturing we receive from the Lord is much greater than what our earthly parents can provide...

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

If you study the Lord's prayer as a basic model of prayer, you can see that Christ expresses what is in his heart. It is okay for us to tell God what is on our heart. For you (or anyone) if you do not wish to ask for intervention in your prayers, that is okay. If you do, that is okay too. Every child has a different relationship with their parents. But if you are refraining b/c you think God cannot handle it or gets tired of it, then no worries. God already knows what you need before you even ask him. You can't surprise God. :) He accepts us, just the way we are...I like to be straight with God. He knows everything, so there is no point in me trying to act like I am some tough guy that has it all under control in front of God. He sees straight into my heart anyway. I love that I can just be honest with God, and he loves me anyway.

"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

For myself, I can provide many examples where I have asked for God's intervention which has nothing to do with my lack of ambition, intention, or skills. However, praying about a situation, can give a lot of relief and lower my stress...there are many benefits which you might consider. Many times God has said "no" to me, and through reflection (sometimes years later haha), can I understand why he denied the request. However, I do know that during those times I was praying about a situation, I felt peace. Because I know the Lord, and I know the situation is in His hands. There really is no way to describe it. Paul called it as the "peace that passes understanding." I pray that you will be able to experience that someday. There really is no security or comfort quite like it, I have found. :)

The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Here is audio of a good passage from Jesus on prayer if you want to learn more...

http://picosong.com/F4q9

Peace <><

Edited by TheFinalWord
  • Like 1

One kind of prayer I don't get is saying grace. If you're going to thank someone for the food on your table, why not call the toll-free numbers on the packages and thank the people at those companies?

Unless of course you think God goes incognito as a farmer...

TheFinalWord
One kind of prayer I don't get is saying grace. If you're going to thank someone for the food on your table, why not call the toll-free numbers on the packages and thank the people at those companies?

tim hawkins on food choices - YouTube

• Like 1
TaraMaiden

Si Señor, his name is Jhésus.....

I hear what you are saying. Why would God even care about us mere mortals if He is all powerful? You're not the first to ask that; many scriptures deal with that topic. This is where a lot of our reverence for God comes from. Not only does he care about us, he died for us. It is humbling, if you know the Lord.

The bible indicates that God never wearies. He has an infinite nature, so there is no need to worry that he grows tired of hearing from his children. He actually delights in our prayers and longs for a relationship with us.

A song of ascents.

I lift up my eyes to the mountains—

where does my help come from?

My help comes from the Lord,

the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot slip—

he who watches over you will not slumber;

indeed, he who watches over Israel

will neither slumber nor sleep.

The bible does state that there are actions that can hinder our prayers: unforgivness, a husband that treats his wife like trash, spiritual warfare, false worship.

“The multitude of your sacrifices—

what are they to me?” says the Lord.

“I have more than enough of burnt offerings,

of rams and the fat of fattened animals;

I have no pleasure

in the blood of bulls and lambs and goats.

When you come to appear before me,

who has asked this of you,

this trampling of my courts?

Stop bringing meaningless offerings!

Your incense is detestable to me.

New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations—

I cannot bear your worthless assemblies.

Your New Moon feasts and your appointed festivals

I hate with all my being.

They have become a burden to me;

I am weary of bearing them.

When you spread out your hands in prayer,

I hide my eyes from you;

even when you offer many prayers,

I am not listening.

Prayer has many functions: reverence, thankfulness, reflection, spiritual growth, wisdom, understanding...intervention, which you have selected, is only one aspect of prayer. As Christians, we believe that God is our Father. Prayer is similar to a child talking to their parent; it is meant to be personal, truthful, real...stating that we can not make our requests known to God is a bit like telling a child that they should not go to their parents for help and guidance. However, the guidance and parental nurturing we receive from the Lord is much greater than what our earthly parents can provide...

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

If you study the Lord's prayer as a basic model of prayer, you can see that Christ expresses what is in his heart. It is okay for us to tell God what is on our heart. For you (or anyone) if you do not wish to ask for intervention in your prayers, that is okay. If you do, that is okay too. Every child has a different relationship with their parents. But if you are refraining b/c you think God cannot handle it or gets tired of it, then no worries. God already knows what you need before you even ask him. You can't surprise God. :) He accepts us, just the way we are...I like to be straight with God. He knows everything, so there is no point in me trying to act like I am some tough guy that has it all under control in front of God. He sees straight into my heart anyway. I love that I can just be honest with God, and he loves me anyway.

"The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

For myself, I can provide many examples where I have asked for God's intervention which has nothing to do with my lack of ambition, intention, or skills. However, praying about a situation, can give a lot of relief and lower my stress...there are many benefits which you might consider. Many times God has said "no" to me, and through reflection (sometimes years later haha), can I understand why he denied the request. However, I do know that during those times I was praying about a situation, I felt peace. Because I know the Lord, and I know the situation is in His hands. There really is no way to describe it. Paul called it as the "peace that passes understanding." I pray that you will be able to experience that someday. There really is no security or comfort quite like it, I have found. :)

The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Here is audio of a good passage from Jesus on prayer if you want to learn more...

Playing Matthew 6 by Alexander Scourby - picosong

Peace <><

Thoughtfully said.

For me it is because I have come to see that all things have an origin, in spirit. Praying is kind of like being polite prior to taking things. Biggest lesson I have learned is that Jesus really is The Word and so I would consider taking without prayer a form of stealing.

Take care,

Eve x